Bedford CF, Zephyr mk3 or Vauxhall PA, maybe, sometime, eventually...

eddyramrod

• 2 months later...
35 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

That could be interesting!  CIH is the wrong engine but I'm not in any position to be choosy...

The CIH was in the process of being swapped in when he had his motorbike accident and manual gearboxes went off the table. He has a couple of slants too in various states of assembly/condition.

Plus it's half the price of the facebook one

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, eddyramrod said:

Looks lovely!  But: does not start, leaking brake fluid... so it's a garden ornament then, for 5K.  Also, it's the Opel engine, not the slant.

But still beautiful, thank you.

Bit embarrassed that I didn't read the bloody description eddy! Just saw it and thought wow. Sorry pal 

• 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, junkyarddog said:

Interesting van, although the interior is a bit "granny's lounge" for my liking. Not one for restricted spaces with that huge wheelbase.

Ah yes; thank you :)  We've already seen it on the ebay thread, but a cross-reference doesn't hurt.

If he gets his price for it, that's halfway to the market value of my house.  Good luck to him eh?

My L322 was first registered to a small terraced house only worth half what that Range Rover cost new.

See now, that's subtle.  I like it.  The colour is a bit muted and from this distance the wheels are lovely.   

V8 would be nice, wouldn't it?  DVLA doesn't give me engine size.  Is it Rover?  Chevy?  Lexus?  Or just the CIH with a fruity exhaust?

Anyway it's all on hold at the moment, while I have this lovely Jag.  This time next year it'll be due another MoT and I might decide I don't want to take it for a third, in which case with a new ticket I'll be hunting again.  My only real complaint with the Jag is that it's too new, and I get awfully itchy feet!

(If I didn't have the Jag I'd be all over @gadgetgricey and there would be a black PT convertible outside my house already!)

At least twice, yes.  Possibly it was a working vehicle for longer than most; it may also be partly attributable to the change of engine.  The odometer on the CF was a five-figure unit as was the custom in those days.

Just being able to remember that makes me feel so old.....

Essex V6 did occur to me too, assuming the figure is correct (or at least, a close approximation; the Essex coming in at 2994cc).  Jaguar also have or had a 3.0V6 in the days when they were platform-sharing with Ford, an engine I believe was also used in Mondeos.

Of course it could be a straight-six:  Lexus or BMW being strong contenders here.  V8 is also possible, but why anyone would put a Stag V8 in a CF is beyond me.  I suppose if it was what you had to hand then you might!  It would certainly be worthwhile for the music it makes.

But this is all speculation, harmless though it may be.  The chances of me ever meeting this van are pretty slim.  I can just give thanks that it exists at all.

My other big fascination is the Vauxhall PA Cresta/Velox.  

798846375_GreenCresta.thumb.jpg.9a0822c2b1559808519e0ca890642144.jpg

Again, it goes back to having had one many years ago, and no contact since (all the way back to my teens in fact!).  I spotted the green one above on Facebook a few weeks ago and offered up Handsome as a swop.  Apparently (no reply was forthcoming) my offer wasn't close enough, even though this was the lowest price I had seen on a Cresta for years.  The car shown has a Rover V8 in it...

The upper end of the CF market (say the £4-5k bracket) just about overlaps with the bottom of the PA market.  The X350 market varies wildly but with a new MoT I thought it was worth a go.  I could have added in some cash (not much, but some)  if necessary, if it could have cinched the deal.  OK, this one wasn't for me.  Maybe there's another one somewhere.  I've already seen another V8 one on FB.

• eddyramrod changed the title to Bedford CF or Vauxhall PA, maybe, sometime, eventually...

Apparently (no reply was forthcoming) my offer wasn't close enough, even though this was the lowest price I had seen on a Cresta for years.  

The upper end of the CF market (say the £4-5k bracket) just about overlaps with the bottom of the PA market. 

How do you feel about a doer-upper?

D1000011.JPG