First collection - Passat now 4 sale £200

Dan_ZTT

No turbo on this as it's a 2.0 pez.

Pretty sure that's a breather pipe from the rocker cover, gaffer tape it up and forget about it, doesn't do too much other than recycle the breather fumes, in fact, if you rev the car you'll most likely see a little bit of smoke come out of it as is guess there's a touch of wear at that age.

Don't scrap it, is be interested myself mainly for the interior.

That broken pipe looks like it could be something to do with the crank case vent system.

Whatever it is needs fixing properly otherwise you'll have a massive vacuum leak.

I would check all the rubber/plastic pipes for cracks and splits as the car is more than 10 years old (and German)

P.S. nice seats.

Thanks all.

Mostly joking about scrappage, not least because if it came to it I'm sure I'd get plenty more at auction anyway. It's certainly staying for the time being.

Offending pipe has been taped so I'll how it holds up.

The seats are the best thing about it.

Wow.

Anyway Dan, that's a breather pipe of some description, probably from the crankcase, hence why the inside has a load of mucky old oil in it. Its job is to vent excess gases from the crankcase into the intake where they can be burnt off. If the engine is in good condition and you don't drive it everywhere at maximum attack, it shouldn't be generating a lot of crankcase pressure anyway.

You can try taping it up, you can try bodging it up with a piece of similarly sized rubber pipe, or you can just buy a replacement, they seem to be cheap enough on ebay, though I haven't googled that extensively (the 2.0 engine seems a lot less common than the diesels and 1.8 turbos). It seems to be upwind of the throttle body so won't cause vacuum issues, and if you leave it the worst that's likely to happen AFAIK is that it'll gradually cover the engine in dirty oil. You should plug the intake side of the pipe up if you do leave it though, to stop unfiltered air getting into the engine.

From the pics it looks to be downstream of the airflow meter, so that could be true. But it could equally make no difference; I found that the breather pipe on my Mondeo was shagged when I had the inlet manifold off to change the plugs, so I fixed it. It ran fine before and ran identically fine afterwards.

Still, as I say, the part seems to be about 20 quid, so fixing it would be the best option.

• 2 weeks later...

Right folks. Reality is setting in and so this has to move on, not least because my wife really doesn't like it... £200 to those of this parish since that's what I paid and it's cheap at that, might even bridge for more. Could someone tag it as for sale please?

Bad - slightly crunchy gearbox, taped up exhaust, slight stutter under hard acceleration, probably needs new battery.

Good - MoT til September, starts & runs well, full grey leather interior in top condition, all electrics work, decent tyres all round, totally massive inside, heated seats, fully working 6 CD changer + tape deck

140k miles, located in Redditch, can pick up from station, taxed to get you home etc. RY05 UFS.

post-24231-0-58086500-1518830176_thumb.jpg

Right folks. Reality is setting in and so this has to move on, not least because my wife really doesn't like it... £200 to those of this parish since that's what I paid and it's cheap at that, might even bridge for more. Could someone tag it as for sale please?

Bad - slightly crunchy gearbox, taped up exhaust, slight stutter under hard acceleration, probably needs new battery.

Good - MoT til September, starts & runs well, full grey leather interior in top condition, all electrics work, decent tyres all round, totally massive inside, heated seats, fully working 6 CD changer + tape deck

140k miles, located in Redditch, can pick up from station, taxed to get you home etc. RY05 UFS.

attachicon.gif2018-02-15 09.54.16.jpg

Can I claim this on behalf of my mate and his soon to be sacked off money pit mk5 Golf?

We reckon it will be ideal for his needs, once we stick a gearbox in it.

You are 200 miles from us, so it would be next weekend, if that is suitable?

Cheers. :-)

Hello Dan does this mean the Delta is staying?

For another couple of months yes, but not too much longer depending on what I can find next. My ideal scenario would be to find an interesting sub-£1k estate or saloon with lots of wood & leather that I can run as my only car since I only need to do maybe 2000 miles a year these days. When I do find the right one, hopefully asap after this Passat goes, then I'll look to move the Delta. I do really like the Delta and I've even treated it to a new cambelt a couple of weeks ago, plus discs & pads which were needed, but it doesn't make sense for me to keep running it given my massively-reduced annual mileage. Will keep you posted.

Can I claim this on behalf of my mate and his soon to be sacked off money pit mk5 Golf?

We reckon it will be ideal for his needs, once we stick a gearbox in it.

You are 200 miles from us, so it would be next weekend, if that is suitable?

Cheers. :-)

I'd like to get it gone before March 5th to save renewing insurance, send me a message and hopefully we can find a date that works.

My ideal scenario would be to find an interesting sub-£1k estate or saloon with lots of wood & leather that I can run as my only car since I only need to do maybe 2000 miles a year these days. 

How about my proper Rover 75 Connoisseur SE, in Copperleaf Red / Sandstone piped leather and being an early car has the proper walnut dash.  It's as comfy as a Bentley in there.

In a couple of months, obv.

I'd like to get it gone before March 5th to save renewing insurance, send me a message and hopefully we can find a date that works.

I’ll speak to him and send you a PM, mate.

Apologies for any potential delay. I am but the middle man. :-)

Have sent PMs to those that have expressed an interest, thanks all. Can't really hold it on reserve given it's so cheap and we are all just strangers on t'interweb after all, but if anyone wants to come see it any evening/weekend except this saturday then send me a message, if we can work out a suitable time I'll of course hold it long enough for that.

Also I forgot to add to my issue from a couple of weeks ago, thanks to all for the advice then, I did just tape up the offending plastic pipe and it's not made any difference to anything as far as I can tell, so all good there I think.

It's just space reasons unfortunately, I've got a 2 car drive so allowing one for the wife too I can only really have one car for me and I've got two at the moment, one of which is probably irritating various neighbours depending where on the street I've left it that day... and as much as I quite like this passat, I just don't love it enough to make it my only ride.