Tools you bought but never used

Bren

A plasterboard saw is strangely ideal for plasterboard, mine was £1.99 from screwfix and gets used and abused for all sorts.

I’ve got one of them as well but you need to use the length of the blade to cut so it can be inconvenient if you don’t want to hit whatever is behind the plasterboard.

I also intend to use the multi tool to cut away the skirting around the internal roof drain when I do my bedroom.

I managed to break the seal on the one in the spare room taking the skirting out as it had about about a million nails in it.

I am guilty of liking shiny American tools..... I was on a Snap On van about 15 years ago when the dealer commented he had been sent some sockets with the wrong packaging so they would have to go back. Despite having plenty of similar tools at work and at home offers were made, deals were struck and I got them. Nope, I've never even opened the box. :-D

post-17633-0-25161500-1549207935_thumb.jpg

I am guilty of liking shiny American tools..... I was on a Snap On van about 15 years ago when the dealer commented he had been sent some sockets with the wrong packaging so they would have to go back. Despite having plenty of similar tools at work and at home offers were made, deals were struck and I got them. Nope, I've never even opened the box. :-D

attachicon.giffeb 3 2019 023.JPG

at some point in the future-due to the mispackaging they'll be worth something to snap-on nerds. maybe they'll be on the Antiques Roadshow with 2080's equivalent of Hugh Scully telling us [or grand kids] how valuable they are.

I bought some spring compressors about 10 years ago to do a job on a 205 that didn't need them.  When I chopped it in for a BX they went into the loft as they weren't much use on the VW T2 or ADO16 either.

My boss finally got some use from them last month when the young lad at works Ford Fusion failed its test on a broken spring.

Re multitools I've had a fein ones for 10 years now they're fantastic for me in the building trade, have actually worn 3 out, the first one was around £220 and blades were £8 a time so I used to re tip them with cut down saw blades.

Last one was £120ish and now I can get packs of 20 blades for about £30.

You can use them for everything from removing grout to sanding and cutting small slots into wood.

Air powered gun kit for applying waxoyl etc.

I didn't realise when I bought it from a website it was air powered, I thought it was electric, so then I needed to buy a compressor. Five years later they still haven't been used as my MGB is still off the road, waiting for new sills now.

Re multitools I've had a fein ones for 10 years now they're fantastic for me in the building trade, have actually worn 3 out, the first one was around £220 and blades were £8 a time so I used to re tip them with cut down saw blades.

Last one was £120ish and now I can get packs of 20 blades for about £30.

You can use them for everything from removing grout to sanding and cutting small slots into wood.

Yeah trying to cut out boxes with a padsaw when there is ply behind the plasterboard ain't fun.

A combined pliers/hammer item that tyre fitters use to remove/install rim-edge wheel balance weights.

My excuse? It was in the 'Everything in this pile is a £1' at Beaulieu the other year. I'm a sucker for this type of thing. (Though in my defence I've bought some superb items in such collections). 

This ford cvh valve spring compressor tool I bought, never was used but got water damaged along with some other tools in a leaky shed.

6264ea0731c19fa82c8d211877b119f0.jpg

those things were blooming useless as you could never get the springs compressed enough, usually to get the collets out, plus all the fannying about trying to get pistons at tdc. Ended up in most cases taking the head off and replacing the gaskets, allowed you to decoke the head and lap the valves properly

But a plasterboard saw makes you look like a serial killer...........

Apparently not as much as stopping to manhandle a fallen tree into the back of a 4x4 on the way home from work for firewood and then stopping in at the local offy with my decent work coat and suit trousers all filthy and torn nitrile gloves hanging off my hands as I paid for the beers I was buying, still sweating profusely from the excursion.

After a brief inner struggle, the poor lass did actually ask what I’d been doing and with a nervous chuckle if it involved murder.

Unrelated* I do like a plasterboard knife, most satisfying stabbing through a board and ripping away at it...

Air powered gun kit for applying waxoyl etc.

I didn't realise when I bought it from a website it was air powered, I thought it was electric, so then I needed to buy a compressor. Five years later they still haven't been used as my MGB is still off the road, waiting for new sills now.

I have one with a flexible hose, similar to the Air Boy underseal gun, and it works very well. I used it to treat the Trajet after welding the sills. It does short work of sealing the cavities, and I plan on using it with all of my future vehicles. Highly recommended.

Tool-buying is one of my vices, but I've managed to use most of the tools I've bought. One tool that hasn't seen use as of yet is a flywheel puller for small engines. I've had it for a couple of years now, and I still haven't run into a situation where I'd need to pull a flywheel off a small engine.

I am now resisting the urge to get me a broken small engine that would require pulling the flywheel... just for the sake of pulling the flywheel... because haz tool

I purchased two tool chests a few years ago as I was fed up never being able to find the thing i wanted as they tended to be scattered all over the place in the garage. And then started to buy new tools to fill them, which has been achieved. 

All I tend to use is my  Halfords Professional socket set, my long handled allen key/torx key set, and my screwdriver set, all of which I have had for years.

Mind you, if i need anything different, i can find it in the tool box within seconds. But ill have to unwrap whatever it is first.