Tools you bought but never used

Bren

An A-frame. Bought from someone who bought it new and used it once, when he drove to North Wales to buy a motorhome and towed the car back. The condition backs up the story. I even bought a new light board for it but have never used it - I chickened out over the potential legalities of them and got a professional to shift the last car I needed moving.

I would be interested in selling if anyone want it?

Somewhere in one of my toolboxes, or one of my dads, is the official Peugeot valve adjusting tool for the Simca Poissy engine as fitted to the Horizon and 1100 I once owned. Cost about £7 from my local Peugeot dealer. I always used a tiny adjustable wrench instead. Not that it stopped the engines sounding like a sack of typewriters being dragged along gravel.

Also got one of this SPQR valve adjusters for pushrod engines. Bought it at an auto jumble, but every engine I've owned since buying is OHC adjusted by shims or hydraulic tappets.....

^^^ ...and the monkeys go round the car, at KwikFuk, with a 'klikka' = yes! they are tight, m8 >>BUT>> I would like them to be only AS TIGHT as that Klick :(

TS

Its brilliant isnt it? they use the gun to tighten them up to 9 duggaduggas which is roughly 3000 lb/ft, then drags a battered old torque wrench out of a puddle, its pre-set to 65lb/ft and has been for the past 7 years and he clicks it once on each nut.....yep, all nuts correctly torqued m8

fuck off.

I don't know about other people but I always back off the tension on a torque wrench after it's been used - I never leave it set unless I'm using it. Ours seem to have stayed reasonably correct comparing one against the other.

I know it’s completely different (and necessary) but it reminded me of this :D

post-17393-0-54676900-1515529460_thumb.jpeg

I once changed the hub on a mates Renault van. I didn't have a big enough socket, so spent 3 hours phoning mates to blag one. I vowed never to be caught out again, so bought the halfords professional 3/4 inch socket set. Never used it properly, only for hammering in balljoints, and hammering out fucked bearings!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

This doesn't strictly count, as I didn't buy it, but back in the 1980s I got 2nd prize in a competition in the local paper (Suffolk Free Press). I had to identify cars from grainy B&W detail photos of lights etc - nothing too taxing. I can't recall what 1st prize was, but I won a Gunson Colortune. Never used it, but it still sits in the bottom of my toolbox.

I don't know about other people but I always back off the tension on a torque wrench after it's been used - I never leave it set unless I'm using it. Ours seem to have stayed reasonably correct comparing one against the other.

That's the right thing to do, was told this 30-odd years ago and have always done so.

Got a set of crows-feet spanners about 20 years ago, only used one for the first time about two years ago to tighten the manifold to pipe joint on the 205 when fitting the S/S system.

Also, got several cambelt locking tools that have only had one use but were cheap and saved buggering about making them. 

While I am a real tool anorak and love buying tools like women love buying shoes! I can say that I've used virtually everything I own at least once with a few exceptions:

Stuff I've not used:

Orphan spanner sizes: 9, 20, 26, 28, 29mm (& the sockets for them too) as never found fixings of that size.

Most of my 3/4" square drive socket set as don't jack with really big stuff but it's nice to have and you can really swing on it with confidence more than a 1/2" drive.

Cyl head gasket leak kit - bought 'cos I thought I had a problem but it was a leak elsewhere in the end!

Some air tools, I use the impact (less now I've got a big electric one though), cut off tool, tyre inflator & blow gun plus rustproofing gear but my air ratchet and chisel have never been used (Lidl/Aldi cheapo buys), neither has my cheapo sandblaster kit (Aldi). 

There's probably others but can't recall them now. 

This doesn't strictly count, as I didn't buy it, but back in the 1980s I got 2nd prize in a competition in the local paper (Suffolk Free Press). I had to identify cars from grainy B&W detail photos of lights etc - nothing too taxing. I can't recall what 1st prize was, but I won a Gunson Colortune. Never used it, but it still sits in the bottom of my toolbox.

That reminds me, I lent my one to a twat "friend" about 7 years ago, and have not seen him or my colortune since. Miffed me at the time as it was bought by my late father back in the mid 70s. Must go on the bay of evil and see how much a replacement will be, as they are great for setting up twin carbs and my friends Spitfire is desperately needing done.

The old Colourtune gets a lot of flak and slagging off but I've had mine for 30+ years and found it useful for carb mixture set-up, way better than the rather random 'Adjust up then down til.... etc' method. 

Can't recall trying it on anything injected. 

• 1 year later...

I've got one that belonged to my Dad and a Sparktune too (also his).

I bought a torque wrench for when I did the Meriva's cambelt years ago... Didn't use it then, haven't used it since... A good grunt seemed to do the trick and many thousands of miles were done after, and the job was still holding up when the car was scrapped due to many other issues, one of which was because it was a vauxhall...