The Epicentre of Shite? How envoyous!

sutty2006

The only issue im having at the moment is water ingress and a blower motor that keeps breaking. Already changed the thermo resistor on the motor and it continued to work for a few weeks but has packed in again. Tried freeing it off but alas, its blown again... so picking another up tomorrow hopefully.

Had the tracking done on this a few months before xmas as it was out due to a broken spring. The tracking place were adamant the rods would be seized, so I took it home, freed them off the good ol way and took it back. Job done.

You sir, are clearly a highballer.  I'd love another Cav to smoke around in.

I must confess, I was sure they'd dumped the 1.7D GM engine after the Isuzu lump was introduced in the Cav in 1991... but this totally puts me in my place.  I even ran your VIN through EPC, and yep, LU7 engine, pride of Luton!

Surely it must have started life as some sort of fleet 'special'?  I mean, who would order the n/a over Isuzu power?!

I love the way you got a clutch on eBay for £4 and fitted it in the time it would take to remove the undertray on some modern POS.  That is totally the point of running a good simple car like this.  Enjoy, and long live the Cavalier!

Utter top chodding.  Engine aside, a MK3 cav is the second-most comfortable car for driving position I have ever owned (first place going to a MK2 Cav).  With the added bonus* of a cheap to run engine, this surely makes for the best comfortable and cheap travel possible.

Three randoms please!

I hope you have small hands and dexterity to swap the oil filter. On the 1.7 these are a right pain hidden right round the back.

Yeah i did wonder why they put it there, much like the starter motor hidden away. That was one of the first jobs I did on it. Oil + filter, fuel and air filters. gotta keep her sweet!

So todays antics have been, with a bit of luck, productive.

One of the main issues with this car is the water leaking into the cab. The windows mist up like its going out of fashion. And the blower motor packed up. The first time it packed up I free'd it off and replaced the thermo resistor and it lasted a couple of weeks until it blew again. Today has seen the introduction of a second hand blower motor

post-17429-0-37339300-1515170665_thumb.jpg

And upon replacing said demisting devise I found the culprit of the water leak coming in behind the dash.

post-17429-0-80598500-1515170725_thumb.jpg

Note the wiper arm..... dripping directly into the heater box and into the car. I think its coming in from round the wiper hole in the scuttle panel. This has been addressed with lots of bathroom sealant. So we shall see in the morning if my bodge has worked.

How come its fitted with the earlier Family 4 based diesel, I'd have thought it would have the 1.7 Isuzu unit in it?

Base spec cheapness. Much like the more modern mk4 astra ECO4. Everything is cheap, but when they realised they were loosing money on repair bills they put a stop to it (like the hole in the gearbox for the clutch)

Ah memories!. I used to drive a 1.7 n/a Envoy dizzler as a taxi some years ago.

N392 XHN was a doom maroon hatch, a lot like this,

post-5243-0-91660900-1515207453_thumb.jpg

It must have been one of the last Cavs to hit the road because the company bought a couple of new Vectras a couple of weeks after they got it. It was a couple of years old when I got given it and it already needed a severe de-pogweaselling. Having had a Sapphire GLX at the previous company I worked for, the amount of bASe was a bit depressing, although I did attempt to pimp it up with a set of rear headrests from an out of licence GLS at the back of the yard and a set of Vectra wheel trims. While not as quick as the Isuzu TD Cavs and Vectras we had, working Saturday nights, I soon learned to row it along at a fair whack. And it was good practice for when I drove an Octavia SDi later on...