SnrYoof's Cheap OMGa V6 estate - *COLLECTED BY BRODDERS*

rantingYoof

SnrYoof vehicle located (finally).

41c6ee174ec02e1f128c65ca7645c57c.jpg

Test driven 400 metres outside Car Park 2 of Birmingham airport. Didn't go above 25mph. Car has been stood 2 months. Has flat battery, untaxed and not insured.

Presently sitting in one of the terminals with covfefe* attempting to tax and insure.

I'm driving it home.

Photographs and analysis later. No guessing Supernaut or 17_Coffees.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Facelifted Omega and I reckon it is the 2.6 v6 with that fuel consumption at the beginning. Taking into account the time gaps between your posts in this thread I guess you have been busy motorway’ing thus resulting in you achieveing the upper end for what this Omega can return for fuel economy....being a steady run and all’

Did I overthink that? Ha

That woulda been more fun that what he's bought

I resemble that remark.

Anyway, Wingz123 has used Vulcan logic to determine the correct motor vehicle.

TL:DR

WAT: 2001 Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX estate automatic

MOT: May 30th 2018

Mileage: 127k

History: Stamped book until 2012, some MOTs, receipt for two Wingding Ditchfinders in August 2016 (on the front) & verbal confirmation only that the cambelt was done 'around two years ago' by the guy's AA-mechanic friend across the street (2.6 V6 has a 4yr/40k interval)

Cost: £650

CAPER

It was approximately 50 miles from our location, in Birmingham. Near the airport, to be precise. Very near.

Enroute, the weather was cheerful, bright and colourful and entirely reflective of the mood you need to be in to buy a Vauxhall.

post-19970-0-44025500-1514828689_thumb.jpg

We eventually found the place and went to meet Deepthroat the seller where the car was stored...

post-19970-0-37110800-1514828725_thumb.jpg

It had no insurance or tax, and had been off the road for a couple of months since the seller's dad (the owner) had previously passed away.

As we are both familiar with Omegas, a quick spin along the private road near the storage area revealed that it was, in fact, a functioning Vauxhall, or an underwhelming transportation experience to most other people.

£650 cash exchanged hands. Paperwork was signed. SnrYoof looked blank when I discussed woollarding.

Now it was time to try and arrange tax and insurance on a bank holiday. SnrYoof struggled to amend his multicar policy, eventually succeeding only to be told that only when Admiral notified him in writing or by email within 24hrs that he would actually be covered.

COVFEFE

post-19970-0-10129700-1514828761_thumb.jpg

Given the time and cost of travelling back the next day or another day to collect it, emergency online one day insurance was purchased to enable it to be driven home. Taxing it proved no problem at all, of course, because we were offering the DVLA money.

Anyway, the car needed a battery and required jumping each time it was turned off. SnrYoof packed a spare battery (which wouldn't fit), lots of tools and other useful things. It also had a very low rear passenger tyre. SnrYoof forgot his fancy tyre inflator. It also needed some fuel, and on the way from the storage place to the first available petrol station on the A45 on the outskirts of Coventry it also decided to tell us it needed oil too. A quick check revealed that there was oil which wasn't black or ominous-looking, but not very much of it.

PEZ SHOT

post-19970-0-57471200-1514829123_thumb.jpg

Of course a better photograph would have been the one taken about 10 minutes later as we had to use the massive battery in the XF's boot to jump-start it. But I'm an amateur at collection threads and also allowed my dad to buy a Vauxhall, so what do you expect?

As we now wanted to prioritise oil, we Googled the nearest 24hr Tesco, which was near the Ricoh arena, and I followed my dad there. Upon arrival, it was discovered that the air pressure system at the garage was out of order. They did have oil, though. But then when we tried to open the bonnet using the catch under the dashboard it decided to stop working.

So we were around 40 miles from home with no way of filling the oil and with a rear tyre that was noticeably deflated, possibly at just being attached to a Vauxhall.

Naturally I decided it was therefore time to also highlight the car's finer points...

post-19970-0-08992800-1514829271_thumb.jpg

post-19970-0-49486700-1514829406_thumb.jpg

post-19970-0-71333700-1514829406_thumb.jpg

On a car this big the bumpers are your parking sensors...

post-19970-0-90715800-1514829406_thumb.jpg

I also got right down and looked under the car. The arches and bottom of the doors on the outside looked good, and even immediately underneath were solid. The rest of the underneath didn't look fresh. In fact, I got up and did this...

giphy.gif

Essentially we decided that the only thing we could do was drive it home. We'd travelled from the A45 to near the M6, so joined the M6 at junction 3 and began the journey home. A brief stop at Watford Gap where it was confirmed that the warning light had come on twice more, but I'd noped them using the onboard computer, and SnrYoof decided to risk going the final 20 minutes. We carried on.

HOME!

post-19970-0-14942400-1514829587_thumb.jpg

The car drives like a dream. It sounds brilliant, the gearbox is smooth and the kickdown sensible, the engine feels like every one of its 170hp remains intact, its quiet (2600rpm at 70mph), comfortable, composed and as soon as we can open the bonnet and dump some oil in it it will be a very functional tip-runner and DIY wagon. It may get a light-touch service at the local friendly garage, then we'll wait and see what happens at the MOT in May...

It will likely be roffled here when SnrYoof realises it's another Vauxhall and demands I find something that isn't a Vauxhall. Then all of you can fight* amongst yourselves.

If the cable is u/s etc I'm sure removal of that massive grille provides all the access needed to various bonnet cables etc without too much fuss from my very brief encounters with these vehicles.

Must also add that imo they always looked best in resale silver which I can't say for a lot of cars but it somehow just suits those.

I imagine you'll get plenty of interest when the time comes, of I recall their mahoooooosive in the rear as well.

I'll say so far, well bought.

Awww, I really like those.

Surprising really since the only time I've driven one was 50yards, backwards up a driveway.

My first time in an auto, I'd been asked to move it for my ex's dad and didn't want to admit I knew nothing of slushboxes.

Had it rolled forward, there was 60s Beetle parked in front of it.

Terrifying.

Bonnet cable probably needs adjusting, 8mm bolt on back of slam panel, loosen and move the cable 5-10mm towards the pass side then retighten bolt

I have a large stash of Omega parts as I break them

Looks a nice example !

My friend also has an omega estate he is breaking (facelifted) and its an elite too so had those nice large flat face(ish) type wheels - sorry haven’t a clue what they are referred to as so if you yourself need anything or the OP I’ll just put you in touch. The car is in Birmingham but obviously anything can be posted...

Bonnet cable probably needs adjusting, 8mm bolt on back of slam panel, loosen and move the cable 5-10mm towards the pass side then retighten bolt

Looks a nice example ! 

Cheers (and Wingz); I've relayed this to SnrYoof who's been Googling this evening. I think adjusting this bolt sounds good but would you not need to destroy the grille or open the bonnet in the first place to do this?

I think he's getting used to the fact he sold a diesel Signum which was in good nick (i.e. no real scuffs or body blebs) for an older petrol estate which has both. He's not used to owning shite-that-needs-tinkering-with, although in fairness the Signum was becoming like this before it was sold.

Looks a nice example !

Do you happen to have TD injectors? Suspect one is stuck open.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Lord Sterling - it was being sold by someone who worked for NCP at Birmingham Airport who was storing it near the valet parking area of a multi-storey car park. Glad we didn't have to pay for our stay!

Super cars!

Ive had two estates-a 2.5 and a 3.0 both autos. Both had problems with the bonnet release- always had to have somebody push down on it while i pulled the lever.

Steve

This was fantastic advice. I just popped into my 'rents on the way back from dropping MrsYoof at work to collect some books I need for essay writing.

Decided to mention to SnrYoof that if he sat on the bonnet and I gingerly pulled the cable that it may open.

PRESTO!

post-19970-0-39951000-1514884752_thumb.jpg

Oil can now be added, as well as coolant.

Even better, it even started without needing a jump! The nice 50 mile run must have given the battery some charge, although I imagine just that one cold start this morning has drained it again so a new battery is probably still the wisest way forwards. There was a squeaky 'this-may-be-a-tensioner-or-just-condensation-on-a-moving-part' sound that matched engine speed. This is probably just a £650-car-so-ignore-it noise.

Other than that, it's going to probably get some new fluids and then just get driven. The bonnet has been left up so SnrYoof can investigate why it wasn't opening with just the cable release; he's good at that sort of thing so I have no doubts he'll work out how to solve it.

SnrYoof got a new battery fitted today. Bonnet issue appears to have also been sorted after he sat on it the other day.

Some other minor snagging issues though...

• Low idle - seems to tickover at juuuuust over 500rpm and it feels slightly uncomfortable. It's not like the timing is out, but it feels like it's just a little too low for it to feel happy. Can you adjust this using an idle control valve or some such contraption? (that was a total blag please don't laugh please humour me)
  • Spongey brakes - a bit of brake pedal travel is required before the brakes cut in and they don't bite as reassuringly as they could. Pads and discs look fine; suspect it's just because it was sat for a couple of months
  • Passenger seat is height adjusted electrically and the motor is jammed. It makes a whirring noise and clunks but doesn't move the seat. It's also stuck in a position that makes it impossible for SnrYoof to sit in it, although I suspect this won't really be a problem. He says it's too high for even me, and I'm 6ft 2; hardly a giant. This may be a fiddly one to sort out if the seat requires disassembly.

It's going to get a service, brake fluid flush and then some proper runs about and it should sharpen up a bit - that's the way things work* on Autoshite right?

Engine and gearbox felt very good on the drive home, as I said; those are the two critical components and fortunately they're both strong on the Omega.