Dicky's tat: My first prewar car

Angrydicky

What a lovely old Standard, and cracking thread to see the year out with. As it has no history, it'd be worth paying a fiver to the Welsh and getting a list of previous registered owners. It should be interesting how far back their records go, and whether they can provide you with any potential leads on where it's lived over the years?

The window frames and dashboard should be painted with wood-effect paint - sadly this is long gone and they had been painted flat brown which I stripped off. I need to find some method of recreating the original finish. 

Would you consider hydro-dipping ? Or is that too high-tech for ye olde Standard ?

I believe the wood effect you are looking to re-create is called scumbling. It was very popular and most convincing but fell out of favour in the 1950s when tastes began to change, and the rot set in. That is some good shite and with a 1600 engine should be quite useable. The only problem I have with pre-war cars is their body shape, incorporating running boards and which tapers towards the front, gives a very narrow passenger compartment and severely restricts legroom.

What a lovely old Standard, and cracking thread to see the year out with. As it has no history, it'd be worth paying a fiver to the Welsh and getting a list of previous registered owners. It should be interesting how far back their records go, and whether they can provide you with any potential leads on where it's lived over the years?

I was under the impression that they'd stopped releasing details under the data protection act, or some such bollocks. Apart from to cowboy parking firms, which is of course acceptable.

I believe the wood effect you are looking to re-create is called scumbling. It was very popular and most convincing but fell out of favour in the 1950s when tastes began to change, and the rot set in. That is some good shite and with a 1600 engine should be quite useable. The only problem I have with pre-war cars is their body shape, incorporating running boards and which tapers towards the front, gives a very narrow passenger compartment and severely restricts legroom.

Yes, most of them are like that sir. That's why you should hire a chauffeur to be cramped in the front while you lounge around in the back.

I'll definitely look into that process, sounds like it could be just the ticket!

Dan, you were saying...?  It's on your doorstep too, at £20k.  Not unreasonable if you were to sell your others (except the Capri obviously).

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Packard-Clipper-PETROL-MANUAL-1940/311665683338?hash=item4890b8eb8a:g:L~MAAOSwoydWrG4f

This is lovely!  I'd love another prewar car, although with prices going the way they are it's unlikely, at least in the immediate future.  I reckon 12hp cars are the sweet spot, having enough power to be more or less usable in modern traffic, but still small enough to be easy to store and economical-ish to run.

Are the brakes cable or rod on these?

Dan, you were saying...?  It's on your doorstep too, at £20k.  Not unreasonable if you were to sell your others (except the Capri obviously).

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Packard-Clipper-PETROL-MANUAL-1940/311665683338?hash=item4890b8eb8a:g:L~MAAOSwoydWrG4f

Holey shit! That'd be nice done as a US army staff car. it'd have to be with my others though as I don't sell things...

Richard, this is a thing of wonder.  It even has PLAH trays!

The window frames and dashboard should be painted with wood-effect paint - sadly this is long gone and they had been painted flat brown which I stripped off. I need to find some method of recreating the original finish.

My grandad used to do this, both freehand and with a roller-type tool - which I think the Owd Giffer still has in his workshop somewhere.

I shall enquire.