Hello all and after a project for 2018!

Wingz123

Hello all,

Am new to this forum but was recommended joining by a friend so here we are!

I own a Mercedes Sprinter 3.5t recovery truck for which I move vehicles about on (mainly classic cars) but move salvage vehicles and all sorts.

Right so am after a project for 2018. The purpose being to further my mechanical knowledge and generally want to learn. I’m not too good when it comes to bodywork (Probably a bit too heavy handed! :))

So....have enquired on a couple of cars but waiting to hear back. Would welcome suggestions if you know of any or any chaps on here - I’ll be upfront and just after cheap cheap really.

Looks a great forum looking forward to hearing your suggestions!

Thanks,

James

Hello and welcome, James.  I doubt any of us can compete with FREE so get your truck fired up and fetch that Renault Extra!  Should be quite a handy little tool when you've done it, too.  However, if you fancy a run up north...

I can even offer up a project if anyone wants it!  A banger-boy friend was going to use it as his yard hack, but it needs a new (or otherwise substitute) fuel tank at the very least: it's a 1998 Daihatsu Hi-Jet van, with windows (and may or may not have rear seats to go with them).  It's been laid-up for some time but I'm told it runs.  Not sure if it has keys; it definitely has no papers.  The price will be right, as long as you can collect from Barrow.

I offered this one in my 2018 Project Resolutions thread.  It isn't mine, I know no more about it than I've typed, but if you (or anyone else) were interested I could find out. 

But a free van... I mean, seriously, what's holding you back?

Edited to add... http://autoshite.com/topic/20877-free-renner-5-eckstra/

I think it might be a bit too big for your truck but the Silver Spur will be up for grabs in the next couple of weeks. Not exactly cheap but worth it as a breaker.

attachicon.gifIMG_5277.JPG

I think it might be a bit too big for your truck but the Silver Spur will be up for grabs in the next couple of weeks. Not exactly cheap but worth it as a breaker.

IMG_5277.JPG

Thank you for your suggestion I used to live in Westbury Wiltshire(I’m not from the West Country) and had more room so could entertain something of this size however before moving back up this way I sold my Silver Spirit. My one was what I would define as a project however unfortunately and rather sadly my pockets weren’t deep enough to restore this car....a real shame...here are a few photos of it...

The last pic genuinely amazed me. That chap was collecting the Roller for the chap I sold it to and he came down with a 3.5t tranny to collect it!!! ...and he was going back to Bolton with it....and he made it!!! How on earth do these people NOT get pulled over by those DVLA Galaxy’s?? Waaaaaaayyyy overweight!

post-24460-0-27896200-1514630406_thumb.jpeg

post-24460-0-42206400-1514630502_thumb.jpeg

post-24460-0-79361200-1514630556_thumb.jpeg

Owning a recovery truck is bound to make you welcome!

What part of the country are you in?

Thanks - I am in Reading 2 mins from Junction 12 of the M4. I travel all over the country! If anyone needs vehicles moving or picking up by all means welcome to PM me. Oh and my truck is LEZ compliant too so I can go into central London...

My Spur arrived on an Iveco which was probably over the limit although it was a 4.5 ton.

post-5515-0-81923200-1514631918_thumb.jpg

They don't need to be expensive to do up and prices are on the rise. The Spur does now run and just about drive, being a 2 owner car it might be worth the effort to get it back on the road. It needs about 100ft of brake pipes to get it drivable though

Thanks - I am in Reading 2 mins from Junction 12 of the M4. I travel all over the country! If anyone needs vehicles moving or picking up by all means welcome to PM me. Oh and my truck is LEZ compliant too so I can go into central London...

Reading you say?!

I may take you up on that, as I am about 15 mins from J12. 

I just don't have anything that needs moving at the moment though....

Thank you for your suggestion I used to live in Westbury Wiltshire(I’m not from the West Country) and had more room so could entertain something of this size however before moving back up this way I sold my Silver Spirit. My one was what I would define as a project however unfortunately and rather sadly my pockets weren’t deep enough to restore this car....a real shame...here are a few photos of it...

The last pic genuinely amazed me. That chap was collecting the Roller for the chap I sold it to and he came down with a 3.5t tranny to collect it!!! ...and he was going back to Bolton with it....and he made it!!! How on earth do these people NOT get pulled over by those DVLA Galaxy’s?? Waaaaaaayyyy overweight!

ahh did you not know? those red ones were a speshul edition 5.5 tonne rated limited edition anniversary model :mrgreen:;-):roll:

Hi doubleyeller, good suggestion - do you have a link? Pics? Is this one you own?

Let me know,

Thanks,

That was a tongue in cheek suggestion sir! Welcome aboard. Had you been here through 2017 you would know that the R30 is a rust-riddled monument to automotive attrocity which I had to go cap in hand to the membership on here in order to pull it's head out of the lion's mouth.

post-20279-0-85634100-1514658527_thumb.jpg

There again, could be worse, my friend travelled 100 mile to view this one, said to be in "Reasonable condition" (me winding him up pmsl!) he didn't speak to me again for a few weeks after! ????

post-20279-0-91635300-1514658684_thumb.jpgpost-20279-0-05760200-1514658710_thumb.jpg

Most of us have a project for 2018.

We bought them around 2010 but that's not the point.

Welcome by the way.

Haha thanks.

Re that Renault I did indeed spend much of yesterday evening reading the project thread! It seems that you are making progress!...if you were closer to me I could put you in touch with a very good welder of whom would certainly help out. I’ve used him for years as has my father. Never let us down and his work is tidy unlike some I’ve seen before!.....pigeon poo!

Gold Toyota Tercel. That car is the epitome of Auto shite. If you don't want that then you are in the wrong place

Haha absolutely - I am just letting it sit for a minute whilst I work out if the welding on the sill is something I could do myself... I am a complete novice when it comes to welding.

I believe in being straight up and my first choice is that white ZX, the Tercel would be second choice.

Just waiting for the chap to come back.

Haha thanks.

Re that Renault I did indeed spend much of yesterday evening reading the project thread! It seems that you are making progress!...if you were closer to me I could put you in touch with a very good welder of whom would certainly help out. I’ve used him for years as has my father. Never let us down and his work is tidy unlike some I’ve seen before!.....pigeon poo!

We are making progress surprisingly, I would still love to move it on and be shut of it most days, something deep within me keeps me going at it!

It really would be inviting you to drink from the poisoned chalice if I sold it you tho - I'm not that mean!

We are making progress surprisingly, I would still love to move it on and be shut of it most days, something deep within me keeps me going at it!

It really would be inviting you to drink from the poisoned chalice if I sold it you tho - I'm not that mean!

I’m afraid that car is realms above what I am at current able to do myself! I would have to draft in an army I think which might be quite costly.

Glad you are making progress and it hasn’t got the better of you - i.e just sat with nothing happening to it! Keep it up and am watching the thread :)