The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, wesacosa said:

Some dreadful news from the classic Citroen community 

Screenshot_20240411_180452_Chrome.jpg.329ab73343d193daf366e9a1b24bf35e.jpg

Paul was a nice bloke, generous with his time, knowledge and spare parts and a big reason a huge amount of XMs and Xantias are still on the road 

RIP

Read that earlier, such a shame. He was a wonderful guy, messaged me alot when I had my xm 😥 was practically begging people to come take the spares he had over the last few months too so they went to a good home

Diagnosed that the camshaft adjusters on the Vectra are making that common noise that they all eventually do. No rattle on startup, but once up to temperature when oil pressure naturally drops it becomes audible. I didn’t clock this, and I wish I’d done so before doing the cambelt as it could have been done as a “while you’re in there” job. 🤦‍♂️

I took the solenoids out and removed the filters and gauze which didn’t do anything really as it didn’t have any startup rattle to begin with. Duly booked in on payday as yes, I could live with it till it got much much worse but seeing as it’s my daily, I don’t want it to give way or cause issues down the line. Both pulleys come in at about £200 as well which is a kicker. I’m going to replace the solenoids with new ones just so it’s all done. 

Providing sterling workhorse duties for the two tip runs earlier too

261C33D8-1832-4D1A-89F0-1D7359C43530.jpeg

16 minutes ago, stuboy said:

20240413_115231.jpg

20240413_115225.jpg

20240413_115159.jpg

20240413_112230.jpg

20240413_104210.jpg

20240413_105222.jpg

20240413_105112.jpg

20240413_104021.jpg

20240413_104026.jpg

God knows where the txt gone too..

Well another run roo the tip , trying to get the missus drive with a trailer as she has a show to go too soon and needs to get dragging the thing.. but she declined .. I told her ok ill hook it up and load and unload it and she can do the rest... lol

A design fail in the i10 is these sun visor surrounds that double as 'card holders' but therefore break with age.

image.jpeg.772df88351ac5156d33a1ba4ce5c45fc.jpeg

Even plain low spec grubby replacement visors are £25 on the bay, which seems a bit expensive. The MK2 i10 dropped the card holder thing, but they have different fixing attachments, so probably don't fit as a swap/'upgrade'. MK1 Picanto ones look different too. So araldite instead, might last 5 minutes.

image.jpeg.b35a9afa0a37b7006b32b1be4cfe24b0.jpeg

On 11/04/2024 at 18:07, wesacosa said:

Some dreadful news from the classic Citroen community 

Screenshot_20240411_180452_Chrome.jpg.329ab73343d193daf366e9a1b24bf35e.jpg

Paul was a nice bloke, generous with his time, knowledge and spare parts and a big reason a huge amount of XMs and Xantias are still on the road 

RIP

My condolences for the loss of your friend. 

12 minutes ago, Snake Charmer said:

My condolences for the loss of your friend. 

thanks although I was just posting someone elses Facebook post. I did know Paul through the XM forum and Facebook and had met him at Citroen events but it was one of his actual friends who's post I used here

He will be a huge loss to the XM community though for his knowledge and his hoard of spares

17 minutes ago, wesacosa said:

thanks although I was just posting someone elses Facebook post. I did know Paul through the XM forum and Facebook and had met him at Citroen events but it was one of his actual friends who's post I used here

He will be a huge loss to the XM community though for his knowledge and his hoard of spares

Ah, OK. I just Googled him and found a post on the French car forum from January. Sounds like he had an awful time at such a young age as the average diagnosis is around 70. 

4 minutes ago, chancer said:

Spotted this today. Probably one for the didnt know they existed thread...avon tuning triumph acclaim...it looked absolutely hanging, no doubt it doesnt need an MOT now....20240413_174143.jpg.267e3f0fcfbae5017e204240574a8d9d.jpg

Did better than me then - just been in Glasgow for the first time in 22 years. Stayed on the edge of the CAZ over at the SECC and we saw very, very little of anything older than a 2010 plate. Even with the CAZ nearby it was a bit naff (plenty of big, FO, modern cars of all sorts, they look a million dollars but the never-never would, wouldn't it?).
Ditto motorway - couple of Volvo 940/960, a 1999 Corolla and a 51 plated Almeira who did a wee bit of a 'Rubber Duck' convoy with us for a laugh.
We did have a good time - won the 'oldest car in the hotel car park prize'  - all three nights :-)
Also a variation on six steps to Kevin Bacon - six steps to Arnold Clark. Players take turns to clock the motors driving past in batches of six. If you get a yellow, Arnold Clark sticker in your six cars then play passes to the next player. If you don't get a yellow AC sticker then you have to buy the next round.
There's a lot of AC stickered cars in Glasgow.

Car stuff? Took the Rover 75 diseasel  - very nice place to be. Reckon mpg was in the high forties  and it was v.nice to get out of a car after  7 hours driving and finding myself able to stand upright and walk without any swearing. 

1 hour ago, chancer said:

Spotted this today. Probably one for the didnt know they existed thread...avon tuning triumph acclaim...it looked absolutely hanging, no doubt it doesnt need an MOT now....20240413_174143.jpg.267e3f0fcfbae5017e204240574a8d9d.jpg

That's a shame. It looked pretty clean when one of the previous owners shared his progress on it on here in 2020/1. 

After the LS400 got a fresh MoT last week I called into the garage to swap the Laurel for it:

IMG_0124small.jpg.abb047a970285c9522d82b68aa466247.jpg

They kept the Datsun all week, giving it a service and working towards this at the end of Friday afternoon:

image.png.c7b5c6233a178fd92c220b19fef52b70.png

Yay! I know it doesn't 'need' one, but having not had a test since 2020 I felt it would do no harm to go through a good checkover and get one if at all possible. Needed a washer pump (sorted by a similar-sized universal replacement), foglamps reinstated (loose wire) and a total of five gaiters on the front suspension and steering. No corrosion!

It had another Lexus friend when I picked it up on Friday:

IMG_1209.JPG.37e97cb0a80b5a6b31267007c871a3f6.JPG

With another one lurking outside:

IMG_1212.JPG.893324694a02c1cc1743dc2fe07ff275.JPG

No coincidence - they belong to Miss SL's BF and some parts swapping is on the agenda to get the R-reg one back on the road. S-reg DHP model is the nicer one of the two and is his long-term proposition.

In another bay they had a '90s JDM Toyota Estima which they're resurrected for a customer after it'd been off the road for a few years.

Was hoping to celebrate my LS400 returning to the road by taking it for a trip to Norwich yesterday, but Mrs SL wanted us to buy a tree so the Carina E was used instead. We briefly had a '90s Toyota convoy when this tidy Starlet followed us:

IMG_0162small.jpg.8e5df2e65968a74de880ce810757831b.jpg

And we found a shiny Accent:

IMG_0168small.jpg.6ebe0e08d3f8c449986ebaef7c67db39.jpg

Don't think there'll be much car action to report today - got six bulk bags of gravel and one of bark mulch to shift.....

9 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

No old cars in Scotland because they salt the roads from late September until late May in  some areas.

Good choice to take the 75. Its a great way to cover a hundred miles and get out feeling like you've only done ten.

My dad's first car (down near Stranraer) dissolved in about two years (I think) grit and the sea air got to everything. They grit here a lot and it's plain when you a get a 'city' owned car and compare the subframes/disc brake shields.

75 has replaced the Ovlov 940 and I'm liking the upgrade - more comfy - I do miss the badermatic but the Keeper of The Purse Strings is happy as it's way, way more economical - almost into Bini country which means I'm excused pouring the two of us and all the holiday clobber into a wee car :-)

This house move has continued to kick my arse.  Today I made my first application for regular work in 17 years.  Just looking at part time right now to bolster my income and manage my hours sensibly but it feels like a step in the wrong direction.  Not much choice.  Without some sort of viral incident that suddenly drops several grand on me I'm just treading water and I need to crack on and get the cash flow improved.  Not sure how easy it's going to be to get back into the mainstream work force after so long being self-employed and being in my early forties, and don't worry I'm looking at shitjobs because that's all I'm qualified for.  Shelfstacking, warehouse operatives, office monkeys, that sort of bollocks.  Just need a safety net, especially since it's very likely the tenancy here will end in a 2-3 years and I'll have to find somewhere else to live solo.

Not dropping the artwork just yet, and I'm carrying on as normal while I fail to get job interviews, I just need to make sure I've got a back-up plan in place.  We'll cross the bridge of things like trying to get commuting insurance on a 40 year old car when we get to it.

15 hours ago, chancer said:

It's a cosmetic replica rather than a genuine car, there is only one genuine turbo car known to survive.

That one was never much of a minter to start with and seems to be in regular use, which in Scotland means a lifespan of 5 years.

Most Acclaim's are made of filler as, being Japanese spec steel thickness with British build quality, rot like there is no tomorrow and there is no panel availability.

4 hours ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

My dad's first car (down near Stranraer) dissolved in about two years (I think) grit and the sea air got to everything. They grit here a lot and it's plain when you a get a 'city' owned car and compare the subframes/disc brake shields.

75 has replaced the Ovlov 940 and I'm liking the upgrade - more comfy - I do miss the badermatic but the Keeper of The Purse Strings is happy as it's way, way more economical - almost into Bini country which means I'm excused pouring the two of us and all the holiday clobber into a wee car :-)

My car is 20 years old and spent all its life in Scotland. TBF it has had a subframe replaced , no brake shields left , 4 rusty arches and a bit of welding here and there to pass MOTs, but I’d say the condition is on a par with an Orion I had in the 80s , at about 5years . ( In Kent, saw much less salt).

45 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

There are companies that are looking for remote staff to answer phones for other companies… outsourcing and message taking, etc.  Job is shit but one I know in particular will take just about anyone..

Call centre work is a big nope for me, I have one really big gap in my cv due to a call centre job causing one of the worst mental breakdowns I've ever had and vowed never to subject myself to it again.