Jump to content

The new news 24 thread


Father Ted

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, hairnet said:

why is there a horse kneeling resting on your fiat?

steering wheel needs to be in the sea sorry 

It was tired. 
wheel is original if faded leather.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/03/2024 at 23:37, D.E said:

One chapter in this 1970s book ("The Small Business Casebook", S. Birley) is about the (mis)management of Gilbern. The price and specs of the Invader are being compared to other cars, but this list doesn't seem to make much sense? Cars in a totally different price and performance league (AC, Aston, Dino), the Citroen DS and GS, floppytop Cortina... Also, according to sir Google the Crayford William is a microcar!

IMG_20240326_231730.jpg.18d8be96611d42840f0514bd99e8a423.jpg

 

 

The Morgan +8 seems to have been a bit of a bargain? Cheaper than a Triumph estate, half price of a 911. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, EspenO said:

The Morgan +8 seems to have been a bit of a bargain? Cheaper than a Triumph estate, half price of a 911. 

I thought that. The current prices probably reflect the vast increase in labour rates since then. I don’t suppose the skilled craftsmen are relatively much better off , but it’s probably more due to overheads especially energy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Bazfr69 said:

It is sunny in NI.

 

That is all. 

IMG_2119.jpeg

It’s sunny here in Scotland too. It won’t be in 10 minutes time but probably will be again within the hour.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

It’s sunny here in Scotland too. It won’t be in 10 minutes time but probably will be again within the hour.

All morning here, it’s like a heatwave…

I’m heading out soon, likely chuck it down now I’ve cleaned the car. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just been for a walk in bright sunshine from the ponderosa on the horsehoe pass.

IMG_1019.jpeg

IMG_1017.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After 3 years sat in the garage and only covering about 5 miles to the MOT station and back last year, my 75 has set sail, quite literally and has gone to some fanatical 75 collector in Belgium.     I now live in Gibraltar so getting the car over here was going to be costly and a bit of a faff to say the least.   It served me well for 8 years but deserved better in the end so some chap from Belgium contacted me and offered a healthy sum to acquire it.  

9b31f7a9-0eb4-4fea-893f-f6d93b0c7b54.jpeg

ea1b979c-888e-4fd7-a418-587b219d205d.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In other news I bought this recently, not my ideal choice of motor but second hand cars are somewhat limited here in Gibraltar and this has been well kept.    Very little choice of nice 15-20 year old stuff here.  It’s mostly death traps that haven’t been MOT’d since last millennium or nearly new Mercs and Range Rovers for eleventy million pounds, only for it to be scraped and dented before you get the thing a mile up the road.   So this tank was acquired, starting to quite like it and very practical for going shopping over in Spain (when our Spanish neighbours let us through the border) 

IMG_2425.jpeg

IMG_2427.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, 17-Coffees said:

I got a new car today!

20240330_140219.jpg.aa4f1b7f18abe04270b755488123ac0a.jpg

was amazed to find one in the wild, Home Bargains no less! 

I saw one of those in B+M in Berwnick upon Tweed, couldn't quite believe it 🤔

Astro passed its mot today, 1 advisory for an idler arm. Had to guide the tester through the test, he'd never done a test before where it had a cat but doesn't get a cat test, never done an mot with a steering box, never seen plastic leaf springs, never seen a hydroboost brake system, or front torsion bars..

Youngsters these days. Strange thing is, he's older than me! Been testing 4 years..

20240330_110948.jpg.5d9b8d6ad853ac43f13eaa8153f4f3f7.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, 17-Coffees said:

I got a new car today!

20240330_140219.jpg.aa4f1b7f18abe04270b755488123ac0a.jpg

was amazed to find one in the wild, Home Bargains no less! 

That's normally a shop I avoid as our local one is a total zoo most of the time, but I'm going to have to go looking now!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today has been spent working on a friend's white Rover.  Another friend was here helping and arrived in his red Rover.  The Princess was just there to provide moral support and tools.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20240330164751_COVER.jpg.7e061a33800ea76d0cdf4371f5a6b0d5.jpg

  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, reb said:

20240330_192459.jpg.cb3f398d859f4fe7547a4e312895f385.jpg

There's something purposeful about those arch's that makes me think id probably end up in a ditch driving that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, EssDeeWon said:

After 3 years sat in the garage and only covering about 5 miles to the MOT station and back last year, my 75 has set sail, quite literally and has gone to some fanatical 75 collector in Belgium.     I now live in Gibraltar so getting the car over here was going to be costly and a bit of a faff to say the least.   It served me well for 8 years but deserved better in the end so some chap from Belgium contacted me and offered a healthy sum to acquire it.  

9b31f7a9-0eb4-4fea-893f-f6d93b0c7b54.jpeg

ea1b979c-888e-4fd7-a418-587b219d205d.jpeg

Weird - I was thinking about this car just the other day, and in fact searched up the thread again.  If i'd known I'd have absolutely bought it, Primrose 75s are the best of the best.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Barry Cade said:

 

Astro passed its mot today, 1 advisory for an idler arm. Had to guide the tester through the test, he'd never done a test before where it had a cat but doesn't get a cat test, never done an mot with a steering box, never seen plastic leaf springs, never seen a hydroboost brake system, or front torsion bars..

Youngsters these days. Strange thing is, he's older than me! Been testing 4 years..

20240330_110948.jpg.5d9b8d6ad853ac43f13eaa8153f4f3f7.jpg

Didn't those have some weird ABS system that only works on the back wheels?  Surprised the tester had never seen plastic leaf springs before though, several modern vans use them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, reb said:

20240330_192459.jpg.cb3f398d859f4fe7547a4e312895f385.jpg

Nice VTS 👌

Is it yours?

One car I'd like a go at sometimes but they seem to be already going up to crazy money or buggered rusty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, SiC said:

Nice VTS 👌

Is it yours?

One car I'd like a go at sometimes but they seem to be already going up to crazy money or buggered rusty.

Not mine, belongs to the guy I share the unit with now.

20240330_204127.jpg.9c56ac00ee7e746c92264ff04e0bab4f.jpg

That's him doing prep work to remove the engine from his Grandeur

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Didn't those have some weird ABS system that only works on the back wheels?  Surprised the tester had never seen plastic leaf springs before though, several modern vans use them. 

Volvo xc90s use them too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Didn't those have some weird ABS system that only works on the back wheels?  Surprised the tester had never seen plastic leaf springs before though, several modern vans use them. 

Landcrabs had a very basic ABS on the rear. They had a unit mounted on the inner wing at a slight angle with a ball bearing in it. The harder you braked the further the ball bearing slid up it's little tube until eventually it blocked the line to the rear brakes. Then when you eased off it slid back down and normal service was resumed. 

I can confirm it was not entirely reliable. Twice in my 18/85S I ended up pointing in the opposite direction after a hefty brake application. 

On later cars, 1800 mk3 and 2200s, they had a more sophisticated pressure switch but on the earlier cars it was entirely mechanical. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...