The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

No doubt it will be enforced in the same way as litter and dog shit. I.e no one will ever get a fine.

In Bristol and surrounding counties they drive around with a car that has cameras on top. At the moment it's mainly for automatically catching over staying parking but I can imagine they could easily enforce pavement parking with it too. I think they have a button to mark the recording so they can go back to see what needs enforcing.

On 11/12/2023 at 11:55, egg said:

I'm concerned to note that there are only 3 taxed Gen 1 Kia Mentors left on Britain's roads according to HML. Assuming 1997 was last Gen 1 year, then another 30 SORN'd.

#won'tsomebodysavethekiamentor

(this shape)

7113524815_efebe59d6f_b.jpg

NO. 

IT IS NOT #JREGPROTON, IT MUST NOT BE SAVED 

I've been out the game for nearly three weeks after having a minor accident* and pulling muscles in my lower back. 

Still sair but Mrs GMcD is away for 3 nights at a work thing, so been chipping away at the Saab.

Out with it's heart:

PXL_20231209_1809020482.thumb.jpg.14b68d5159ad8f9c73d930ac5597f3e1.jpg

PXL_20231209_2223308642.thumb.jpg.f2066d86255bf0c674aba109acd14c4b.jpg

PXL_20231210_1544502452.thumb.jpg.8d9331ba6f7527003d472667650d77b8.jpg

*Don't jump over things in the pitch black in your garden shed at 8pm at night. It never goes well.

The green growing all over my car was getting too much so I went to the local garage which has a self use jet wash. 

Couldn't read any of the machine as its all faded to shit, but my phone tells me £2 for 5 mins of the pressure washer had all the green off. I was pondering using the brush but it looked fucked, giving it a jet wash wouldn't have helped so I ignored that. 

Then I visited the tyre machine and ll all the tyres were 6/7psi out in various ways. Did that too.

Got home and checked my bank and the 2nd 5 minutes I got was refunded for reasons I don't know, it probably didn't like the fact it was trying to read my cars as I pushed the buttons, and oh well! 

Winter maintenance over with 👌

Just another update on the lack of any real progress on my poorly Tipo.  Plan A is still slowly ticking over, that is, the garage will investigate its non-running and report back if they can fix  it. They will then MOT it (expires 22nd December) and do any further work if it fails. I'll be discussing it in more detail on Monday.  I do have a reasonably generous budget. However, this will not be a blank chequebook exercise.  Plan B is to have the car transported to a nearby classic car garage which has the gear and willingness to take this on sometime in February/March 2024.  Plan C will depend on the Tipo's fixability versus my budget and could be the end of the road for this one. 

4 hours ago, andyberg said:

Son @BerginJR collected his new scooter today. Thanks to @S2000 for being a true gent in the autoshite tradition. He rode it home the last few miles and declared it 'very very good' bare in mind he has just come from a modern* Chinese scooter.

IMG-20231216-WA0011.jpeg

Great to meet you both today, take care…..

We closed our static caravan down today. The winds in North Wales were horrendous overnight.

When I got back I fitted the ring doorbell we have had for a couple of weeks.

Remember when I had to get the AA out for the insignias's clutch? I stuck my head under the fascia and noticed the return spring on the pedal looked a bit wonky.

After twenty minutes of tantric stretching I managed to get under and hook the side of the spring that was loose back into the tab on the pedal.

I cannot see how it has come loose which is a bit concerning - the car has had a clutch 10k ago - but I cannot see why they would need to piss about with the pedal.

41 minutes ago, andy18s said:

I'm guessing a bit of over zealous pumping whilst being bled?

I'm assuming hydraulic btw...

Yes. It's a possibility.20231217_154918.thumb.jpg.f5f42f08234e98f25254dc8ee6d30dfc.jpg

You can just about see where the spring locates on the pedal - this is where it had come adrift.

5 hours ago, Bren said:

We closed our static caravan down today. The winds in North Wales were horrendous overnight

It’s been fairly constant for the last week! We had a silver birch tree down last weekend, I was out trying to chop it up today… been so nervous about the other birch, and the rest of the trees ever since as some of the others might hit a neighbours house!!

Blowing a hoolie again tonight… worse to come midweek apparently 😫

2 minutes ago, brownnova said:

It’s been fairly constant for the last week! We had a silver birch tree down last weekend, I was out trying to chop it up today… been so nervous about the other birch, and the rest of the trees ever since as some of the others might hit a neighbours house!!

Blowing a hoolie again tonight… worse to come midweek apparently 😫

Thursday's forecast down here in sunny* Ceredigion
You need to add a wee bit extra on for here as it's on a very exposed hillside.
Fun*

image.thumb.png.d74b91e9a35ea6cf1f0680e9c9e5764d.png