Jump to content

The new news 24 thread


Father Ted

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Well yes, I can't say I don't agree with you, but I'd have thought this would have some oldschoolford tax about it... 

Hopefully not tbh, more likely to be saved I guess. 

Oldschoolford tax is just the ford equivalent of VW scene tax - I.e. its only for idiots who think everything is worth mega money because of a badge and a vague reputation some of the companies products have (deserved or not) I'd have thought all Autoshiters were wise enough to know it means nothing in reality, especially on a bASe, rusty fiesta thats sat for nearly a decade after failing its MOT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, MJK 24 said:

A Mini adventure if ever I saw one…

 

B2C2F110-43BD-483E-BF38-ACB5E79C5707.jpeg

Crap, i can see that going very badly.

A few years back a mate who used to be an HGV driver towed my old CX safari behind his Saab 9000 and i tell you what that was nasty. Worst ive ever experienced. This, i expect would be much much worse.

Expect an accident damaged mini and audi for sale soon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Stinkwheel said:

Crap, i can see that going very badly.

A few years back a mate who used to be an HGV driver towed my old CX safari behind his Saab 9000 and i tell you what that was nasty. Worst ive ever experienced. This, i expect would be much much worse.

Expect an accident damaged mini and audi for sale soon

I towed a Saab 900 behind a Kia Pride once, although that was on a bar rather than a trailer.  Still managed to spin me out though when mate in the Saab failed to get round a roundabout after being caught out by the lack of PAS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I towed a Saab 900 behind a Kia Pride once, although that was on a bar rather than a trailer.  Still managed to spin me out though when mate in the Saab failed to get round a roundabout after being caught out by the lack of PAS.

We all get into these scrapes, thats the AS way

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

I’ve been driving for 45 years ( yes I’m tired!) but have never driven any vehicle towing a trailer. Am I in a minority?

Probably not, but you are missing out on some serious fun (by fun i mean steep learning curve and bum clenching moments)

I've towed trailers, a-frames with vehicles that become trailers, car trailers and also hired self drive car transporters, the last option is by far the least worrying, but most boring.

These days I'd just get @worldofceri  to do in exchange for money 

(having said that I a-framed my Dyane across the country a couple of weeks ago 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

I’ve been driving for 45 years ( yes I’m tired!) but have never driven any vehicle towing a trailer. Am I in a minority?

20 years and never towed. I ponder it but I'd tow someone very irregularly it's not worth the costs. Trailer cost, towbar car with enough capacity cost, storage of trailer and inexperience makes it far more worth chucking money @worldofceri way. Also if I had a trailer I'd be buying even more stuff I didn't have storage for. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Rust Collector said:

All the other stuff you mentioned is sortable, but in my experience this is definitely the main issue.

Actually I should edit that.

I'd be buying even more broken stuff I don't have time or storage for. After all, no point having a trailer if you're buying stuff that can be driven back!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SiC said:

Actually I should edit that.

I'd be buying even more broken stuff I don't have time or storage for. After all, no point having a trailer if you're buying stuff that can be driven back!

My brain just automatically filled in the blank on that one.

One upshot is that when your own stuff breaks, you can trudge home, get the trailer and recover your own car. I've done that more times than I care to mention 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

My brain just automatically filled in the blank on that one.

One upshot is that when your own stuff breaks, you can trudge home, get the trailer and recover your own car. I've done that more times than I care to mention 😂

Being able to recover would be a massive stress reliever. Just phone up the missus to come out with it. 

Tbh a beavertail for me would be more useful. Easier to drive and store. The stuff I like is light enough to not be a problem for one. Kinda hoping the DVSA/police enforce them more and they become worthless so I can pick one up really cheap 😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The other problem is finding affordable trailers that have the right capacity. Like that Saab 9000 only has a towing capacity of 1800kg and finding a trailer with a max rated load of that isn't easy or cheap. Of course could run with a trailer with a rated load higher but then that isn't legal?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, SiC said:

The other problem is finding affordable trailers that have the right capacity. Like that Saab 9000 only has a towing capacity of 1800kg and finding a trailer with a max rated load of that isn't easy or cheap. Of course could run with a trailer with a rated load higher but then that isn't legal?

2100kg towing capacity for the S211? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, brownnova said:

Towing my tip trailer is fairly easy, especially with the XC90. I learnt a lot more about towing when I towed the Yugo back with a Saab 9000.

IMG_3730.jpeg.377aea5393674ade77995182e348dce4.jpeg
 

Surprisingly reversed it into my drive ok… which I actually find harder with the tip trailer! 

much hardness on the trailer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, brownnova said:

Towing my tip trailer is fairly easy, especially with the XC90. I learnt a lot more about towing when I towed the Yugo back with a Saab 9000.

IMG_3730.jpeg.377aea5393674ade77995182e348dce4.jpeg
 

Surprisingly reversed it into my drive ok… which I actually find harder with the tip trailer! 

The bigger the trailer, the easier they are to reverse.

Little tip trailers are about as hard it’s as it gets.  If you can reverse one of those around a corner accurately, you can reverse anything!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Trailers? When I were a lad we used ropes! Had a few scary moments though, both leading and following.

You never lived until you have been in a range rover sport being towed by a 405 estate via a ratchet strap over the known-to-be-rotten towbar

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I was in my late teens we (my group of friends) were given an old Transit minibus by a friend's eccentric nan. It was big and red, and we decided we needed a van to lug around the equipment for our burgeoning DJ company we'd started. We ran it for a year or so, the whole thing was extremely dodgy.

Eventually it stopped running so we abandoned it on my mum's driveway. After a few months the MOT ran out, it wasn't taxed, it wasn't insured and it wasn't SORN'd. My mum wanted it gone, so a buyer was found. Charlie was going to tow it over to them, with Nick behind the wheel of the Transit. All still extremely dodgy.

So they get to Dover. Why they went through Dover I have no idea, there must be SO MANY cameras there. They're waiting in traffic, big red Transit lashed behind a Navara. The police pull up next to the Transit and motion to roll down the window. Nick starts to roll it down, and the officer begins the "What the fuck is that thing doing on the road" spiel, when the lights change and Charlie, not seeing any of this, drives off pulling the Transit with him leaving Nick to just shrug his shoulders at the officers with a look of helplessness on his face.

The police either couldn't, or didn't want to follow them to deal with it so left them to go on their merry way. Nick still can't believe his luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've towed once and never again! I hired a trailer and went to pick up a Cortina I bought off yahoo actions in Fort William using my mates borrowed Frontera.

When I got to said cortina I found out the trailer didn't come with ratchet straps and the trailer hire place never mentioned this.  Luckily the guy I got the car off had some old ones he gave me. 

The trailer got a puncture on they way there. 

I completely confused myself with the trailer trying to get out the B&B car park and it took nearly 45 minutes and a near nervous break down before I could escape. 

The frontera blew it's head gasket on the way home.

These days thank god for shipley

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

About 1990 I got towed by my dad from Pontefract to Blyth Nothumberland with a rope. Can't remember what his car was but it would have been shit. I was in a mk1 y reg mg metro that had a fucked gearbox and was given to him by his sister. It ran out of petrol after about an hour which made me lose the servo to the brakes. 10 mins after that the battery went flat meaning no indicators or more seriously the fucking horn.

Half an hour from home he put his foot down and we must have been doing 80 mph. I was standing on the brake trying to get him to slow down but it had fuck all effect. It was terrifying.  It still haunts me now as to what could've happened. 

He was always a wanker and I haven't seen him for 15 or more years. He'll be 72 or so now. I don't know if he's still alive. Fuck him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...