The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

20 hours ago, captain_70s said:

This is a new one on me:

image.thumb.jpeg.96547a280f24cd4a6748d401240a80f6.jpeg

1971 Bedford MultiCruiser. Parked on a drive near the Western General Infirmary in Edinburgh. StreetView suggests it was in decent condition in 2008 but now it's had most of it's windows/lights smashed and all the loose bits like mirrors, the grille etc snapped off/nicked.

Certainly a weird one and I'm guessing unique and based a CF chassis.

Looking for more on that Multicruiser (and only finding that one Multicruiser and shots of it when it was looking decidely healthier, which makes the current state of it very sad), stumbled across this photo.  I cannot think of suitable words to describe the action.

bedford-van-towing-a-double-decker-carav

1 hour ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Structural milk bottle? It looks like the previous engineer cut out the rot first before the deed was done? 

Underrated repair. 

What motor is it - 90s Swede? 

Nailed it. Milk bottle used as infill/bridge then a sandwich of p38 and p40. It was stinking when breaking it up....I mean I knew it had a bit of clag in the arch, but I hadn't realised it was that much 😂. It's a Saab 900. 

Managed to drop the coolant expansion tank cap into the C6 engine bay earlier. Oops. And then in attempting to retrieve it it went further in and out of sight. Balls. 

New one ordered off Amazon, the old one will likely work its way down to sit on top of the undertray for later retrieval. Hopefully. 

Back in 1994 I stripped a mk2 cavalier cdi, knackered engine transferred all interior into my measly L Spec with keep fit frint windows so the door pouches where in the way.. but kept the pair for years until I moved again...always felt guilty...but I binned them... fast forward today.. boot fair with all manner of junk and there's this alone calling me saying u can't leave me... so moneys paid and taken home...lol

20231119_125602.jpg

Yesterday I went to Wales for the first time in ages to build a shelf in the Amazon's garage. 
I had purchased said shelf 18 months ago; with said garage rapidly resembling a shit tip, @Conrad D. Conelrad built it for me, owing to my destroyed back.

IMG_20231118_181621.thumb.jpg.ed30a3f36fe8de97ad68dd5c2e6c1857.jpg

I backed the Amazon out to give him some space. The shelves had gone mouldy. 

IMG_20231118_180348_1.thumb.jpg.73fc9fd9684a5d5fa8992666a9c7ab94.jpg

Amazon is now behaving itself again thanks to @Pete-M.  The keener among you may have noticed that it now has an alternator. 
It was a mild enough night that we could head out around the local area - but not before the garage was tidied up. 

IMG_20231118_182211.thumb.jpg.9718218b427e6d9f1a1aac9e5c747323.jpg

The handbrake is fine, I'm merely paranoid. 

IMG_20231118_182139.thumb.jpg.24562a57777101a4165c134f5429ceda.jpg

I tried to recreate an especially shit version of Karma Police but then lost all the lights thanks to a ricked dim/dip floor switch. The garage lights then joined in unison. 
Eventually, normal service was resumed, and I pissed around with the choke linkage to stop it bore washing at 67,000 rpm. 

IMG_20231118_204454.thumb.jpg.7509815ef49da856d29f9316b0be668e.jpg

This completed shelf is marvellous. All the service items are separated out, the important/significant bits yet to be fitted are down below, and the shite that was all over the workbench has now been relocated. We filled three bin bags, plus a box of shite, and I dug out a few things to sell - an Intermotor sports coil (went with an Aldon Flamethrower in the end), a 140 Rallye/GT oil pressure gauge, and some 123GT style wing mirrors.

Just visible is my Noco battery reconditioner; after extensive tests on too many heaps, I can report that Noco, CTEK and Ring chargers are the tits, while Halfords' so-called 'Smart Chargers' are anything but. Avoid. 

IMG_20231118_194023.thumb.jpg.afea7b1093cbe90a3e89db48950f9361.jpg

One of these horn pushes has the pads on that will stop the horn connecting every time the car vibrates/turns right/hits a bump. 

IMG_20231118_204719.thumb.jpg.4d271a7ef6fab84e0afd272b17e60c51.jpg

Yes, the Itera and Amazon are room mates. I can't work out which one's the bigger twat. I can feel that fork flexing from the other side of Chester. 

IMG_20231118_211032.thumb.jpg.ef783778db885125b12580a634928af9.jpg

Of course, a Philly Cheese Steak at McDonalds beckoned. The heater decided not to work, then did work, cooking us to tandoori oven levels. 

jHFC2_Bm.thumb.jpg.d4bebdde0a40fd0c50e228c8bacde45a.jpg

I tried to take some photos but they came out crap in town. @Conrad D. Conelrad's were far better. 

UX1KuzmD.thumb.jpg.80b52220e120cabcc86ccff7b2daab04.jpg

I was going to bring the Amazon or the SVX to the NEC, but low funds and MH meant I stayed at home. 

9 minutes ago, alcyonecorporation said:

Tester a twat? 

Very much not, they are a very good place to use. Sensible and very much advise and pass rather than fail and penalise - I suspect because they dont actually want to work on most of the stuff we take there 

It seems these things have a bit of a reputation for having a bit of play in the rear bearings  (according to googling and the owners club pages) 

16 minutes ago, alcyonecorporation said:

For another three days. Limited edition. 

I'm amazed you managed to get it - I've only managed once to obtain one from my local branches. The rest of the time it's been 'nah, sorry M9, we ain't got any of the sauce left'. I can't figure out if they're lazy cunts who just don't want to make that burger or lazy cunts who can't be bothered to order supplies in properly. Says the lazy cunt who's annoyed that he can't get the burger he wants passed into his car window on demand.

39 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

I'm amazed you managed to get it - I've only managed once to obtain one from my local branches. The rest of the time it's been 'nah, sorry M9, we ain't got any of the sauce left'. I can't figure out if they're lazy cunts who just don't want to make that burger or lazy cunts who can't be bothered to order supplies in properly. Says the lazy cunt who's annoyed that he can't get the burger he wants passed into his car window on demand.

Had two - one at the Llandudno Gateway and another in Trafford Park eh.