The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

We now have two kids and a dryer is great for dealing with sheets, clothes and all sorts that toddlers get through in a day.

Having said that we actually wouldn't be without our dehumidifier. Basically put three airers up in the spare room with the ancient dehumidifier I picked up for £30 on gumtree with the probably no longer legal refrigerant. After 12 hours the washing is dry. It costs pennies to run relative to the tumble dryer. It also dries the room and house (no damp), and the waste heat warms the room. 

So I would recommend a decent dehumidifier over a dryer.

We played the "buy cheap, buy twice" mantra a couple of years back and spent proper money on a Samsung washer and dryer.
With washers, we kept buying Beko, Candy and the like, then wondering why they only lasted 3 years before the motor burnt out or the board fried.

As above, kept playing the triggers broom with the condenser dryer, replacing parts, new condenser (they get gummed up and there's only so much you can do with them).
Ripped it apart a few times - you'd be surprised how gummed up the rest of the internals get. Replaced some internal parts a few times and so on, so that lasted 10 years.

The dryer is a heat pump based one, so uses hardly any electric.

I've got a lake land heated airer with a cover and it's been fab. Got no room for a tumble dryer, whereas this sits in the corner of my bedroom making it warm! 

I've got it plumbed into my Home Assistant too with some bodgery and it cycles on and off on a timer so it doesn't sit and run all day long (don't need clothes dry that fast 🤣)

Screenshot_2023-11-13-10-43-53-19_c3a231c25ed346e59462e84656a70e50.thumb.jpg.90182c0ad6992ac91a2e4b1b9e13d1a9.jpg

In the summer it's folded flat and put away 

1 hour ago, TheOtherStu said:

We played the "buy cheap, buy twice" mantra a couple of years back and spent proper money on a Samsung washer and dryer.
With washers, we kept buying Beko, Candy and the like, then wondering why they only lasted 3 years before the motor burnt out or the board fried.

As above, kept playing the triggers broom with the condenser dryer, replacing parts, new condenser (they get gummed up and there's only so much you can do with them).
Ripped it apart a few times - you'd be surprised how gummed up the rest of the internals get. Replaced some internal parts a few times and so on, so that lasted 10 years.

The dryer is a heat pump based one, so uses hardly any electric.

I’d agree with this. We have a Miele washing machine and tumble dryer. Both of them cost a truly stupid amount of money in 2008, but are still in use now and the washing machine has been Faultless. The dryer has needed a feeding a couple of parts, but still goes well after 15 years.

I am also a big dishwasher fan, because the one household chore I won’t do is washing up. I’d rather clean gutters than do the dishes. Plus the dishwasher uses less than a bowl of water, and doesn’t face the risk of cross contamination of using nasty water for dishes. That said, both are luxuries, and there’s been plenty of years where I’ve done without. I used to take bedding and things down to the laundromat and didn’t mind it. Met some good characters in there, and would nip for a pint while the dryer was on.

I had one of those ancient White Knight 3kg jobs that was here when I bought the house. My gran at the time had just downsized and had a full sized Indesit gathering dust in her shed, that she said I could have. But wait a minute... it's on the big recall list.

And that's how I managed to get a brand new Hotpoint condenser for £99 (upgraded to a bigger one as part of the recall scheme).

I do also have a Lakeland airer, although I've just inherited a 3 tier one with the cover, I had a 2 tier without and wasn't particularly impressed (although do bear in mind that as a larger gentleman I can't get as many clothes on it!)

We have a Bosch condenser drier my parents bought in lockdown before realising their vented one just had a lake of rain in the vent pipe.   We use it for towels and sheets sometimes.  Otherwise it would be in their garage unused.

We live in the past though, so have two kitchen maid type pulley airers, which were enough for a family of five with two in washable nappies and are now much less taxed, we could probably manage with one but use the second for sheets.  Nothing takes more than 24 hours to dry.  

6 hours ago, Markeh said:

I had one of those ancient White Knight 3kg jobs that was here when I bought the house. My gran at the time had just downsized and had a full sized Indesit gathering dust in her shed, that she said I could have. But wait a minute... it's on the big recall list.

And that's how I managed to get a brand new Hotpoint condenser for £99 (upgraded to a bigger one as part of the recall scheme).

I do also have a Lakeland airer, although I've just inherited a 3 tier one with the cover, I had a 2 tier without and wasn't particularly impressed (although do bear in mind that as a larger gentleman I can't get as many clothes on it!)

I had a Hotpoint dryer on the recall list, and took up their offer of an all singing, all dancing top-of-the-line 9kg replacement for £99. Honestly wished I'd kept the one that wanted to burn the house down.

The new one, as well as having the worst controls I've ever encountered a machine, started making a slight grinding noise I couldn't diagnose but turns out to have been the drum spindle slowly grinding through the bearing  (a one piece bearing with no moving parts, I don't know what they're called) until the spindle snapped off mid-drying. 

The spindle was 8mm and I happened to have an 8mm bolt so welded that onto the drum and bolted a captive bearing to the rear case. Amazingly worked perfectly like this for a couple of years until one day it wouldn't turn on, and I gleefully scrapped it.

On 13/11/2023 at 02:33, JJ0063 said:

I made a thread (deleted it as changed our mind) and virtually everyone said they either didn’t have one or they’re shit / expensive

Fuck driving a load of wet washing up the retail park and paying 7 quid a go, and the sitting around waiting for it.

Out of interest whats to stop someone putting a dead fox in it? 

14 hours ago, richardmorris said:

So according to the blurb, it’s one of two, it has covered 741km and it’s just had remedial work costing £75,000 at p and a wood!

It's lovely, but 400k and the chrome on the badge is pitted like my Cortina bumpers?

12 hours ago, richardmorris said:

To throw a spanner in the works of the pro con dryer lobby. I have a dry soon airer from Lakeland. it’s great ( for single me. Maybe not for large families).
https://www.lakeland.co.uk/25904/dry-soon-mini-3-tier-heated-airer

IMG_0832.png

we've got a similar one of those, bloody brilliant, if you can put your clothes on it properly, minimal creasing, and as a gentle heat , no shrinkage, 

I'm still trying to decide my best solution for the house. I've recently moved and most of the time I've been there it has been summery, so easy to just open the windows and put stuff on a basic clothes horse.

At the moment I'm thinking I'll continue and if I notice any condensation in the house, I'll get a dehumidifier as this could turn out simply to be a useful thing to have. I have a washer dryer but avoid using the dryer if I can. It's just me in the house so relatively little washing to process.

2 hours ago, 95 quid Peugeot said:

we've got a similar one of those, bloody brilliant, if you can put your clothes on it properly, minimal creasing, and as a gentle heat , no shrinkage, 

Proepr hanging is key, if anything is bunched up on something else or touching it doesn't dry. Because half of mine sits folded flat the back makes drying jeans or thick jumpers fast too as I can hang them across all the warm bars

New all season balloon boots on the couriering Caddys sofa castors this morning. Goodyear Vector 4seasons gen3 to give them the proper name.

20231114_113846.thumb.jpg.3d1035afb40f1d168b535ae846ca74f1.jpg

20231114_113859.thumb.jpg.5e2c58bbf7a754574c31fd4dc459715c.jpg

Good deal at Costco - £249 all in for all four.

I've not tried these all seasons before, last couple of winters I've used Michelin Crossclimate 2's, but they seem a bit harder to get hold of this year and are around £400 for a set. Used my spare set of wheels for them as my summers still have 3/4 mm left on them.

20231114_114303.thumb.jpg.ad06a3d91f8c0aa010e3dc531850209f.jpg

Pretty good going for 80k miles - still got the bobbles on them. They're also Goodyears, Efficientgrip Performance 2, they're the longest lasting, miles wise, I've found on any tyre so far.

20231114_114327.thumb.jpg.9450921e562f2c68655d921c63abb894.jpg

Looking at these pics I could really do with wafting another can of satin black over the wheels.

1 hour ago, Popsicle said:

New all season balloon boots on the couriering Caddys sofa castors this morning. Goodyear Vector 4seasons gen3 to give them the proper name.

20231114_113846.thumb.jpg.3d1035afb40f1d168b535ae846ca74f1.jpg

20231114_113859.thumb.jpg.5e2c58bbf7a754574c31fd4dc459715c.jpg

Good deal at Costco - £249 all in for all four.

I've not tried these all seasons before, last couple of winters I've used Michelin Crossclimate 2's, but they seem a bit harder to get hold of this year and are around £400 for a set. Used my spare set of wheels for them as my summers still have 3/4 mm left on them.

20231114_114303.thumb.jpg.ad06a3d91f8c0aa010e3dc531850209f.jpg

Pretty good going for 80k miles - still got the bobbles on them. They're also Goodyears, Efficientgrip Performance 2, they're the longest lasting, miles wise, I've found on any tyre so far.

20231114_114327.thumb.jpg.9450921e562f2c68655d921c63abb894.jpg

Looking at these pics I could really do with wafting another can of satin black over the wheels.

That's a great ad for Goodyear.  I've been impressed with their tyres recently.  And great value from Costco

2 minutes ago, Erebus said:

That's a great ad for Goodyear.  I've been impressed with their tyres recently.  And great value from Costco

Costco do have some good deals on Tyres every now and then if you time it right/lucks in. I think the Goodyear Efficientgrips have some kind of 20% extra mileage slogan on them. It does seem to be true with my usage. I'll reserve judgement on the all seasons till they've got a few miles under there belt, although the seem to do well on the tyre review sites, coming 2nd behind the crossclimates.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2023-24-Tyre-Reviews-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm