Jump to content

The new news 24 thread


Father Ted

Recommended Posts

I've mended the Rover.  Shoysty's suggestion of using a small self tapping screw to pull out the broken bit of nozzle actually worked - I didn't think it would as I didn't reckon the broken bit of nozzle was big enough for a screw to get a proper grip of, but it actually wasn't in there very tight at all.  Feck knows why it broke off - must have been extremely brittle.  So the Rover is mobile again.  I did the leak off test which wasn't a lot of help - all four injectors flowing around the same amount - so the diesel knock is probably the spray pattern as RoverFolkUs said.  I'm going to try running a few doses of injector cleaner through it, see if that helps.

Less good news on the Volvo front.  I took it for a quick drive to see if topping up the ATF has made the gearbox any quieter / smoother.  It does seem a bit better, but when I went to brake for a speed bump the brake pedal went nearly to the floor.  Drove home carefully and shone a torch underneath and it looks like the rear load sensing valve may have shat itself, as there's fluid all around that area.  I do have a spare to go on, as the offside seized up earlier in the year, but not sure I can be arsed doing any more brake work this year so that might have to wait until the spring.  The brakes are dual circuit so there is still some braking there, but obviously it wouldn't take long for it to pump out all its fluid so I won't be taking it anywhere.  There doesn't appear to be any fluid leaking out when the car is parked which is good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quite annoyingly after selling my friend’s Corsa on here, and @Weird Car selling their Hyundai, stepdaughter’s boyfriend now needs a set of wheels. 

Saw a 206 locally, 04 with a 1.6HDi of doom in blue of doom. How it had a fresh MoT I have no idea. Back brake disc cracked, one front wheel straight while the other toed out. Looked like it had been involved in a hit and run. Seller was a right 🔔end as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

Quite annoyingly after selling my friend’s Corsa on here, and @Weird Car selling their Hyundai, stepdaughter’s boyfriend now needs a set of wheels. 

Saw a 206 locally, 04 with a 1.6HDi of doom in blue of doom. How it had a fresh MoT I have no idea. Back brake disc cracked, one front wheel straight while the other toed out. Looked like it had been involved in a hit and run. Seller was a right 🔔end as well.

Yeah it’s always the case, @calebaaront is selling his Suzuki and he’s in Portsmouth so not too far, 1.6 petrol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, grogee said:

I can confirm this is A Thing. 

When I worked at JLR, there was much humming and haa-ing about the packaging of the 'symposer' on the F-Type (possibly vee engines only). 

This was a tube connected to the inlet manifold that terminated on the bulkhead to produce more exciting vroom noises. 

My Puma has its stock intake system routed into the rear of the front wheelarch to project the intake roar. Unfortunately it's placed on the nearside so it mainly benefits LHD cars. 

It's funny how contrived this 'sound optimisation' is getting, and yet those engines with the 'best' sounds are generally 60s/70s carb-fed units where the sound they made was a happy accident. The best one I heard recently was a Triumph GT6. 

It does seem crazy that on the one hand they spend millions (billions?) developing better and better soundproofing and then spend more millions undoing it again.

And yes the Triumph straight six with a decent stainless exhaust is the best sounding engine you can get. I admit I'm biased but I'm still right. Even my four cylinder 1300TC sounds better than any modern even if I do say so myself. The TC has the same spec engine as a mk3 Spitfire on top of which mine has been fully balanced with a lightened flywheel with a bespoke straight through exhaust so it spins very freely. It has no soundproofing bar the worn out carpets and a black bin bag of something stuck to the front bulkhead. Tis how it should be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Weird Car said:

Yeah it’s always the case, @calebaaront is selling his Suzuki and he’s in Portsmouth so not too far, 1.6 petrol. 

Thanks for the heads up but running a quick Meerkat insurance was unaffordable. However we have messaged a bumtree seller for a very clean looking Focus nearer to us, and the Insurance would be £50 a month cheaper. He only passed his test in June.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/3/2023 at 12:52 PM, grogee said:

I can confirm this is A Thing. 

When I worked at JLR, there was much humming and haa-ing about the packaging of the 'symposer' on the F-Type (possibly vee engines only). 

This was a tube connected to the inlet manifold that terminated on the bulkhead to produce more exciting vroom noises. 

My Puma has its stock intake system routed into the rear of the front wheelarch to project the intake roar. Unfortunately it's placed on the nearside so it mainly benefits LHD cars. 

It's funny how contrived this 'sound optimisation' is getting, and yet those engines with the 'best' sounds are generally 60s/70s carb-fed units where the sound they made was a happy accident. The best one I heard recently was a Triumph GT6. 

mg maestro 1600- mmmmmmmm webers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, wuvvum said:

eBay seem to have done another update and now when using MS Edge I no longer have the filter or sort buttons.  Oddly in Chrome they appear fine.  Why do websites feel the need to constantly bugger about with things that are working perfectly well?

Same for me using Firefox.  mutter, mutter, ain't broke don't fix it, mutter, mutter.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Why do websites feel the need to constantly bugger about with things that are working perfectly we

See also: MS Office products. I can't find anything in Word or Excel these days. Don't get me started on Adobe products. 

Today I was using Twitter and the actual button to make a tweet just disappeared. Musk has completely fucked that up. 

Might be long covid brain though. Or early onset giffer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, grogee said:

See also: MS Office products. I can't find anything in Word or Excel these days. Don't get me started on Adobe products. 

Today I was using Twitter and the actual button to make a tweet just disappeared. Musk has completely fucked that up. 

Might be long covid brain though. Or early onset giffer. 

ive uninstalled TWATTER app as its gone mentally dull

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/2/2023 at 1:14 PM, Lankytim said:

Clearing out under the stairs and found this old Dell laptop, I vaguely remember using it for diagnostic software ages ago. Booted up and went online but turned itself off after 5 mins and now won’t do anything. Might just sling it out. 

IMG_3687.jpeg

Mind if i take a shufty at it before it gets broken for parts? I had exactly the same behaviour from an HP recently, but it turned out to be an easy fix...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You know when you totally forgot for ages - in some places decades - who you were?

cPTSD etc. stinks.

But the past couple of weeks I have decided to Build my Dreams.

IMG_8266.thumb.jpeg.8a23c260bdfbad392fc5dbc764e99549.jpeg

This week: return of baking stuff I haven't baked since the 1990s

IMG_8270.thumb.jpeg.e5e6710010b75e241baa006db3a3a77f.jpeg

IMG_8271.thumb.jpeg.8ea65eead7870ba8b5cdb0f6ee464343.jpeg

IMG_8272.thumb.jpeg.f92f9056b3a17dd7afca5c0f5d1c0af7.jpeg

IMG_8273.thumb.jpeg.44918d56e4f3ec63cf65511d82ccd0ef.jpeg

351F9C4E-030B-4547-9C89-9C827563ACC0.thumb.jpeg.c4473fb86828578ce42937e80b3ca2d0.jpeg

It's not perfect but I rather like this electric newcomer.

And I've almost remembered the recipe for my cakebiscuitwtfthings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Annoyingly somebody did this to green Favorit on Monday.

IMG_20231005_090342.thumb.jpg.3c08ce40e4ced26a1a9fb5e971834fb2.jpg

Not too noticeable from distance but noticeable enough.

IMG_20231005_090404.thumb.jpg.6d7a75483e9f22d8553dfdd27e15857d.jpg

Managed to cut it back and remove most of it.

IMG_20231005_091336.thumb.jpg.fda3d72fd5bb3e7e99d4ceb902961ab9.jpg

Still a small dent but fortunately* it didn't affect the front facing part around the headlight. It really is a lot less noticeable now, though of course I know it's there. It'll do though, I'm not going to try repairing that. I assume the bumper will eventually fade back to the same colour as the rest of it. I could try some bumper black to bring the rest of the bumper up to this colour but none of them ever seem to last long. We'll see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, SiC said:

While incredibly annoying, at least the bumper did its job and saved doing more damage. I presume you didn't catch who hit it?

The car is parked in a residential road while I am at work. I assume it happened there though I didn't notice it then as I approach it from behind, get in and drive off. Mrs Yoss noticed it when coming back from a dog walk. I would certainly have noticed if I had been in the car at the time.

But yeah, as you say it could have been a lot worse. And Favorit bumpers are remarkably good, helped by not being painted of course. I have reversed mine into each other quite vigorously more than once (the drive is a bit tight for two cars) with no damage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, New POD said:

Blow torch on grey bumpers usually works well. 

I have heard this before. Presumably carefully. There might be a fine line between nice black and slightly melty.

5 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

To start a whole car fire?

Or worse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, New POD said:

Blow torch on grey bumpers usually works well. 

Doesn't do them any good long-term. It brings the oils to the surface for a quick fix and makes the plastic more brittle, ultimately. 

Yoss - use a bumper treatment or boiled linseed oil for now - it'll look tidier in the meantime. As for the dent, a proficient dent removal fella will sort that pretty effectively. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...