The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

This actually happened the other day but I forgot to post it!

I was sat indoors and heard a load of commotion outside. There’s a load of sparrows living in the front hedges and they were going absolutely nuts chirping and scrambling around in the bushes. 
Next thing I see something big and brown dive bomb the hedge, a load of shaking around in there and then loads of the sparrows fly out. Shortly followed by this beautiful fellow!

IMG_2379.thumb.jpeg.6c9a9e9e4365c118f236ea249944db06.jpeg

IMG_2376.thumb.jpeg.4737f6ab72709381e4597b30ee296c7c.jpeg

Sparrow Hawk! 
It must have been watching the Sparrows in the hedge and then picked its moment for a meal! Poor little Sparrow probably didn’t know much about it but it’s fed the Hawk. 
It came out of the hedge and sat there on the Mercury roof for a while clutching its meal and plucking the feathers out of it. 
In a way it’s not nice when things get killed, I like those sparrows and enjoy seeing and hearing them, but this is just nature doing its thing. The Hawk was absolutely beautiful though.

Its raining now, which is good as it’s washing the blood stain of the car cover!

21 hours ago, Weird Car said:

Had my interview with First Bus today and I’ve only gone and bloody got the job! Mega pleased with myself!

1 step closer to my dream of one day owning my own Leyland National 2 

Congrats! :) 

will you be learning to drive a bus etc with First? if so I look forward to hearing how that goes! 

make sure you keep @Inspector Morose on speed-dial, he is the Leyland National top expert! :) 

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

will you be learning to drive a bus etc with First? if so I look forward to hearing how that goes! 

Thanks, yeah that’s the plan, I’ll keep everyone posted on progress, I sent off for my provisional bus license today so as soon as that’s sorted training can begin

10 minutes ago, Weird Car said:

Thanks, yeah that’s the plan, I’ll keep everyone posted on progress, I sent off for my provisional bus license today so as soon as that’s sorted training can begin

Good luck chap. I passed my PCV test in 1999 with Stagecoach, when they were still using Leyland Nationals on service! I remember I loved driving them and would choose one over the newer Volvos or Darts if I was on an early, much to the disgust of the driver taking over from me! I would love to drive one again.

On 22/06/2023 at 17:11, GMcD said:

Well, I've swithered enough.  I've placed my reservation on a Sapphire Blue manual as it's the colour I keep coming back too. Time will tell if I get one now. 🤞

Mind this? (GR86 order) 

Well I properly bottle jobbed it, shat it and pulled my order (although it wasn't really a factory order, they are already built and in the UK) 

The thought of almost 34K tied up in a car was making me sick to my stomach with anxiety. I think I was being over-ambitious.

I don't feel like I'm missing out. In fact I feel relieved.  

5 minutes ago, GMcD said:

Mind this? (GR86 order) 

Well I properly bottle jobbed it, shat it and pulled my order (although it wasn't really a factory order, they are already built and in the UK) 

The thought of almost 34K tied up in a car was making me sick to my stomach with anxiety. I think I was being over-ambitious.

I don't feel like I'm missing out. In fact I feel relieved.  

It's a lot of dough. Could do loads with it.

I've got a bit of a random question, my car insurance covers me to drive any car that's already insured but with the owners permission and 3rd party only, like many people, does that cover me then to drive a car thats on a traders policy?

Basically a mate is dabbling in the YouTube world and has been buying lots of different cars and stuff and I've been helping him out fixing them and pointing at them etc, all his cars are on a trade policy and he uses trade plates, would I be covered to drive them on my insurance if I needed too?

Probably a daft question? I was going to offer to take this Singer he's just bought back to mine to mop it but wasn't sure if I'm insured to drive it PXL_20230704_105209035.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.109165e4541a636abc39e717df6a8cd3.jpg

7 hours ago, trigger said:

I've got a bit of a random question, my car insurance covers me to drive any car that's already insured but with the owners permission and 3rd party only, like many people, does that cover me then to drive a car thats on a traders policy?

Basically a mate is dabbling in the YouTube world and has been buying lots of different cars and stuff and I've been helping him out fixing them and pointing at them etc, all his cars are on a trade policy and he uses trade plates, would I be covered to drive them on my insurance if I needed too?

Probably a daft question? I was going to offer to take this Singer he's just bought back to mine to mop it but wasn't sure if I'm insured to drive it PXL_20230704_105209035.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.109165e4541a636abc39e717df6a8cd3.jpg

I'm clueless about trade policies. Presumably you would need to borrow the trade plates as well? What if you get a pull?  Would you not need a valid reason for driving a traders car on their plates? (Test drive?)

Or alternatively the DOC entitlement- It currently comes up on Askmid as not being insured. So if you aren't displaying plates, imagine trying to explain to plod you are driving it on your own DOC entitlement. I can see it being dragged onto a low loader.

Would it not be easier to arrange temp insurance to do it? Or could they drop it off?

And finally, a Tofas estate and a Tempra, which you'll have to believe me when I tell you it had the digital dashboard.

20230705_133956.thumb.jpg.ff67d59ddd6e16aec291e9e5011e927e.jpg

20230704_200225.thumb.jpg.fa04f4950c082f9ad28d230b494531bc.jpg

20230704_200235.thumb.jpg.2bfc6486063f2068fb4684642c8faab0.jpg

There are tens thousands of Murat 131s, Renault 12s, Renault 9s and many, many Fiat Tipos, with a fair few Tempras and Unos thrown in. There is almost nothing else pre 2000 on the road, bar a few far Eastern models. I'm not sure why that is but it was fantastic to see.

Thankfully not a single EV either.

I reckon in 5 years these wonderful old cars will all be gone so I'm glad I captured them now.

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

And finally, a Tofas estate and a Tempra, which you'll have to believe me when I tell you it had the digital dashboard.

20230705_133956.thumb.jpg.ff67d59ddd6e16aec291e9e5011e927e.jpg

20230704_200225.thumb.jpg.fa04f4950c082f9ad28d230b494531bc.jpg

20230704_200235.thumb.jpg.2bfc6486063f2068fb4684642c8faab0.jpg

There are tens thousands of Murat 131s, Renault 12s, Renault 9s and many, many Fiat Tipos, with a fair few Tempras and Unos thrown in. There is almost nothing else pre 2000 on the road, bar a few far Eastern models. I'm not sure why that is but it was fantastic to see.

Thankfully not a single EV either.

I reckon in 5 years these wonderful old cars will all be gone so I'm glad I captured them now.

The digital dash with the power transistor riveted to the PCB , which releases and overheats !!

11 hours ago, trigger said:

can he not add you to the traders policy quite easily?

39 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

can he not add you to the traders policy quite easily?

Would that not make trigger then classed as a trader? Most 'normal' car insurance forbids being a car trader and so his other policies would become void. 

I'll have to ask my mate what the score is, it's no bigger just something I was wondering.

He's bought several cars recently at auction in various states of repair and I've been helping out doing little jobs on them and teaching him how to use a polisher etc, he bought a F reg Volvo 740 with 436000 miles for a laugh which turned out to be a cracking car with the most ridiculous service history, the previous owner must have been a dealers nightmare going by the amount of complaint letters over trivial things.

He bought a Nissan Figaro for £1600 with a years MOT that's had £1000s and £1000s spent on welding in the last few years too, people are mental.

I would aim to get yourself covered by his trade insurance as someone notionally employed by his business.   

In another trade policy I've seen, drivers are covered if they're asked to drive by the business and it's in relation to the trade.  E.g. could you drive this up for an MOT please.  

If you then used it to go to Sainsbury's you wouldn't be covered.

The trade plates are for tax, not insurance.  

It shouldn't affect your own cars and policies if you aren't working in the motor trade yourself or using your own cars in connection with the motor trade.

I think.  But then I'm not an ultracrepidarian.