The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Mcgard locking wheel nuts 😡😡😡😡😡😡 has anyone had the pleasure of trying to remove the ones with the fat spinning collar... Obviously done up full whack by a Kwikfit monkey, signs of at least two of them having broken bits of key in them and on another a mate has wanged a socket on and got it stuck as well 🙄🙄🙄 .All help gratefully appreciated 🙏🙏

IMG_20230211_130354.thumb.jpg.f309805731412163cf5d1f64fb550ac2.jpg

6 sodding hours as the rear d-side bearing was fubar'd.  The caliper carrier bolts were a complete nightmare aamd took most of the afternoon Air chisel eventually got the bearing out. 

IMG_20230211_151525.thumb.jpg.6ea549fc6c051d50833860841d5cdbeb.jpgIMG_20230211_163804.thumb.jpg.ea3f332f4a3ac76cf8f4f99af6d149f4.jpg

Now I can hear the other side 🤬That'll be next Saturday taken care of then..... 

Forester Turbo is proving a commendable hack and sounding like Mcrae down the local single track lanes is always a laugh..... 

1 hour ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Mcgard locking wheel nuts 😡😡😡😡😡😡 has anyone had the pleasure of trying to remove the ones with the fat spinning collar... Obviously done up full whack by a Kwikfit monkey, signs of at least two of them having broken bits of key in them and on another a mate has wanged a socket on and got it stuck as well 🙄🙄🙄 .All help gratefully appreciated 🙏🙏

How thick is the spinning collar? All the ones I've come up against so far I've been able to split the collar with a sharp chisel and then once that's out the way it's business as usual with 12 point socket and a lump hammer.

It wouldn't surprise me if all the others without the locking wheel nuts have been gunned up to 3,000,000 lb as well .☹️

I've got an uggadugga that goes to 450 , anyone nearby got a bigger one 🤔

Failing that I've got a 4ft pole to go over my socket wrench,let's see how good Halfords advanced stuff is 🤞

Just going to take some Valium and then have a go... 🤯

7 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

May not be exactly the same type.   I removed all four from a colleague’s SaaB 93, they had a spinning collar.
I hammered a 12point socket over the collar, which crushed it enough to grip the bolt.

Important to use a T bar on the sockets so that you just apply torque and no side-load to the socket.

Because side-load

a) increases the thread’s friction 

b) tries to pull the socket off the stupid, pointless, annoying  locking thing.

Just watched Johnny sideburns resurrect a 1983 bmw 6 series from a garage. It started and sounded fine, but looks rotten as a pear. Failed last pre-mot in 2002 for extensive rust. I do like these, since watching spencer for hire as a teenager.

2 hours ago, Asimo said:

Ford,  Ka?

2 hours ago, catsinthewelder said:

Vectra, because snapped spring.

Both along the right lines, MK3 Mondeo! rear. 

Probably the original spring, so it's not done bad for 20 years. 

Got to do the front lower arms as well among other things - Time to blow the cobwebs off those subframe alignment pins that I probably haven't touched for 5 years now 🤣

51 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

Laguna/75/Picasso because same.

It's rear, so the latter would be a bit difficult 😉 (torsion bar)

3 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Did it look like the one in my picture, quite a thick collar 🤔🤔😕

I just recall that the collars were quite rusty. Looking at your picture again, the collar looks too thick for the socket trick to work. Sorry!

Had the sort of weekend i can imagine Ice Cube being envious of,

Screwed my new bicycle together

25FBCB19-20AF-46F4-AC96-AEA404E8F775.thumb.jpeg.93303b0b6d129aef3539c14b6f497f29.jpeg

fixed my mother’s washing machine

7EC462D8-2449-4787-A604-EF6AB843ED95.thumb.jpeg.b53698d3ff51d85d2da6ee42adfd8e4a.jpeg

and bought this

2A405E41-6729-4871-B587-38CCF2F39C9C.thumb.jpeg.5fff35e86a0340a23d06ba0900d21b45.jpeg

To top it all off, my breakfast contained no hog.

I endeavour to start a car compendium thread at some point as I rarely update progress on any of the individual threads I have started.

Ta ta

10 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Hammer a whitworth socket over the spinning collar, go at it with an impact gun until it melts itself off (a minute or so) 

Then once the collar has been fucked off, hammer a bite socket over the inner part, hammer it on there bloody well and gun it off with a very strong impact.

Finally, get them to fuck and put some normal wheel nuts/bolts in place :)

8 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Hammer a whitworth socket over the spinning collar, go at it with an impact gun until it melts itself off (a minute or so) 

Then once the collar has been fucked off, hammer a bite socket over the inner part, hammer it on there bloody well and gun it off with a very strong impact.

Finally, get them to fuck and put some normal wheel nuts/bolts in place :)

Plus tighten the other 3 bolts to release the tension on this one.