The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

4 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

The vast majority of the abuse my wife gets in her job as a pharmacy technician are from older people. Vile, condescending, arrogant,  insular, entitled small town helmets.

They've had all their life to become completely sure of all the things that they're wrong about. 

3 hours ago, cobblers said:

They've had all their life to become completely sure of all the things that they're wrong about. 

Or perhaps they are sick of the bureaucratic inhuman way the medical system works in the UK, and are old, sick and in pain. Let's see if you're a little bundle of joy when you're 80 and full of arthritis.

20 minutes ago, artdjones said:

Or perhaps they are sick of the bureaucratic inhuman way the medical system works in the UK, and are old, sick and in pain. Let's see if you're a little bundle of joy when you're 80 and full of arthritis.

I wasn't really referencing the medical situation really, more the petrol station incident.

I'm very aware the medical system in the country is on its knees. However the reaction to this is this is where I'd differ. Instead of taking my frustrations out on whatever stressed out, overworked member of staff is infront of me, I would vote to improve the situation. This is definitely something that's a generational issue and there's plenty of statistics to back that up.

1 hour ago, cobblers said:

I wasn't really referencing the medical situation really, more the petrol station incident.

I'm very aware the medical system in the country is on its knees. However the reaction to this is this is where I'd differ. Instead of taking my frustrations out on whatever stressed out, overworked member of staff is infront of me, I would vote to improve the situation. This is definitely something that's a generational issue and there's plenty of statistics to back that up.

It's not just the problems with the system, it's the whole "computer says no" attitude that people dealing with the unwell have that gets people furious. There's several on here with chronic conditions, and their experiences in getting treatment or their medication would try the patience of a 21 year old Saint. 

Incidentally, I worked in a pharmacy for four years in the 80s and never saw any old people being rude. So it seems to be another of the trends that started when everyone became slaves to process and procedure. 

I deal with a lot of pensioners and  get rudeness extremely rarely. So if people are constantly rude to someone I'd say they need to look at their own manners.

One of those moments where normal people would think you are crazy.

Did a deal with @paulplom a couple of days ago. Traded my 107 with him for an S80 that was his father in law's. Paul wasn't hiding anything and I'm sure he won't mind me saying the car was pretty grubby when I got it and a bit rough around the edges. I spent a few hours on it cleaning it and making it look smarter. It cleaned up really well.

Anyhow I drove across to Norwich, the land of @JJ0063 and swapped the Volvo for this classic piece of Nissan engineering. The Volvo was a dream to drive across I won't lie. So effortless and comfy, even I was wondering if I was making the right decision.

Buzzing back home in the 4 speed Nissan was a lot slower and not quite as comfortable ha. Was a lot of fun though as you can imagine. 

IMG_20220917_152006020.jpg

IMG_20220917_152038961.jpg

IMG_20220917_152140316_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220917_152153312_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220919_143956571_HDR.jpg

8 minutes ago, tom13 said:

Did a deal with @paulplom a couple of days ago. Traded my 107 with him for an S80 that was his father in law's. Paul wasn't hiding anything and I'm sure he won't mind me saying the car was pretty grubby when I got it and a bit rough around the edges. I spent a few hours on it cleaning it and making it look smarter. It cleaned up really well.

Anyhow I drove across to Norwich, the land of @JJ0063 and swapped the Volvo for this classic piece of Nissan engineering. The Volvo was a dream to drive across I won't lie. So effortless and comfy, even I was wondering if I was making the right decision.

Buzzing back home in the 4 speed Nissan was a lot slower and not quite as comfortable ha. Was a lot of fun though as you can imagine. 

I’ve got a lot of time for this. Love it.

8 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I'm sure I've seen this sat on the car park at my local doctor's surgery.  Unless there were two lowered silver Sunny estates in these parts obvs.

It was in Poringland but I think the chap might be moving closer to Diss?

I might be wrong but @JJ0063are you local to there as well?

I ran out of primer after 1 full coat, but it's allowed me to spend the rest of the day wet sanding and levelling the panel with some 240 grit paper. It's very smooth with barely any bumps or valleys. I think a coat of grey primer, a light sanding with some 600 grit paper will have me ready for paint.

PXL_20220919_164416562.thumb.jpg.94493de67a9b03eebd37257ed4d48f32.jpg

33 minutes ago, tom13 said:

How much lower can you go? :)

14 minutes ago, tom13 said:

It was in Poringland but I think the chap might be moving closer to Diss?

I might be wrong but @JJ0063are you local to there as well?

I have a relative who lives near the Budgens roundabout in Poringland if you passed that. 

Im actually over between Swaffham and Dereham - not sure which way you came, but if you came via the A47 you would have been 30 seconds from my house 

56 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

I have a relative who lives near the Budgens roundabout in Poringland if you passed that. 

Im actually over between Swaffham and Dereham - not sure which way you came, but if you came via the A47 you would have been 30 seconds from my house 

Came past snetterton. A11 A14. Bit flat for me but nice out that way. Haven't been over there in ages. Chaps house just backed onto fields which was lovely. 

3 minutes ago, tom13 said:

Came past snetterton. A11 A14. Bit flat for me but nice out that way. Haven't been over there in ages. Chaps house just backed onto fields which was lovely. 

Oh I know where you mean. What part of the world are you from again? I was actually on the A11 and A14  today myself as had to pick the window up for the transit 

On 9/11/2022 at 9:41 PM, SiC said:

What are P6 values like at the moment?

Saw this end today. Was quite tempted at this price but it's not a good time for me to buy something else that is old and needy.

spacer.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265882481430

Prices on classics are definitely softening up though. Not sure if both it's time of year and current global market conditions. 

9 minutes ago, tom13 said:

I'm midlands by Birmingham. The better side ha.

I had 2 weeks at the Autoglass training centre in Aston when I worked there a few years ago, stayed in the Holiday inn at Star City.. went on my own for a curry one night and ended up getting locked in the restaurant for over an hour as a lad was wielding a zombie knife/machete around the foyer of the complex… that’s my memory of Birmingham 😂

1 minute ago, JJ0063 said:

I had 2 weeks at the Autoglass training centre in Aston when I worked there a few years ago, stayed in the Holiday inn at Star City.. went on my own for a curry one night and ended up getting locked in the restaurant for over an hour as a lad was wielding a zombie knife/machete around the foyer of the complex… that’s my memory of Birmingham 😂

I work not far from there on Aston Hall Road. Never been to Star City, (apart from Costco).  I've walked past it on the Canal at Lunch time. 

45 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

You won't be surprised to hear it's known locally as Stab City 

3 minutes ago, Erebus said:

You won't be surprised to hear it's known locally as Stab City 

I have to admit I was a bit worried walking to and from the hotel was opposite star city rather than on the actual complex but then again I live next to a field of cows. If it’s not a tractor or a farm animal it’ll shit me up.