The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I'm off to look at a Berlingo 1.9D today. I was going to look at it yesterday, but ended up dealing with power-cut-related issues instead.

It belongs to a mate who needed to tow a large trailer. So he replaced the Berlingo with a pickup. This was in 2015 and the Berlingo has been sat in his yard ever since. It hasn't moved or even been started in over 6 years! 

Due to scrap values being at an all-time high, he told me the other day he'd been offered £300 to have it collected. This upset me more than it should, so I decided if I can get it running, I'll take it off his hands for scrap value.

The van is solid and should scrub up really well. Mileage is about 150k or thereabouts. 

I'm heading over with my 306, a set of jump leads and a half-empty can of Lynx Africa. 

What are my chances? 

1 hour ago, MrGTI6 said:

I'm off to look at a Berlingo 1.9D today. I was going to look at it yesterday, but ended up dealing with power-cut-related issues instead.

It belongs to a mate who needed to tow a large trailer. So he replaced the Berlingo with a pickup. This was in 2015 and the Berlingo has been sat in his yard ever since. It hasn't moved or even been started in over 6 years! 

Due to scrap values being at an all-time high, he told me the other day he'd been offered £300 to have it collected. This upset me more than it should, so I decided if I can get it running, I'll take it off his hands for scrap value.

The van is solid and should scrub up really well. Mileage is about 150k or thereabouts. 

I'm heading over with my 306, a set of jump leads and a half-empty can of Lynx Africa. 

What are my chances? 

It will be interesting to find out if a battery thats been dead for 6yrs will take a jump and then charge.

Good luck and hope you get it running.

2 hours ago, MrGTI6 said:

What are my chances? 

It will fire up no bother from a jump start

Great news! It took a bit of cranking, but the Berlingo eventually clattered into life. No Lynx required, just a set of jump leads hooked up to my trusty 306! Now running sweet after a few seconds of lumpiness. 

Obviously the battery was dead flat, but I'm satisfied with the condition and levels of fluid, etc., so will leave it running for an hour to get up to temp. 

@Cookiesouwest, I will report back in an hour or so on whether or not the battery will hold a charge. The date on the battery is 2005 so I'm not holding out too much hope, but you never know!

It's not often both Škodas go out together. Even if it was only to the nearest Lidl and necessitated by Mrs Yoss wanting to go straight to the gym afterwards, which is that building behind Felicia in the picture. 

IMG_20220220_095329.thumb.jpg.a8306ee048633cfd8ff4a8e24089eca9.jpg

They look odd to me parked side by side as they are always line astern in the drive. Slow news day, I know. 

Also, how small do they look in those parking spaces? 

The ex-EML 406 now has an MOT. Needed handbrake repairs (the 20p is still MIA) and a patch on the sill. Pretty damn chuffed with this. Treated it to a clean and ditched the roofrack as it looked like a tetanus jab waiting to happen.

£280 well spent. 

54DA3C94-C0FC-465E-9F14-B3C7999BF922.thumb.jpeg.3ed442127620c4c849594c65af4fa8d4.jpeg43A1BBA0-6A25-4CF6-B1AD-21C32E161157.thumb.jpeg.b4c7e5b0744e4c58a8d1637dfcb6e85c.jpeg

no idea why AS always uploads my pics upside down.

Ahhh nothing like the warm glow of a flashing glow plug light on a recent VAG purchase to inform you of an engine fault code stored. 🤣

20220220_160814.gif.ea545113edda5959aa196d41f6c3357d.gif

When our last (newer) A4 did this, it was just before the high pressure fuel pump munched itself. This is probably* much more minor fault.

Other warning on the dash is for the left rear reversing light bulb being out. 

Drives nice though, even if it stinks of dog inside. The light coloured fabric is filthy. So need to figure how to clean it up.

1 hour ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Hope it's something simple SiC, you could use some good luck!

Thankfully yes! Explains why the previous owner had intermittent cruise control issues.

PXL_20220220_163422005.thumb.jpg.e0ef410a73355c86ae40acbe1dde3eec.jpg

New one ordered from Amazon tonight for just over a tenner and arriving tomorrow. Also ordered a cabin air filter (£6.82), keyfob rubber (£2.46), window regulator (£15.99) and a glovebox hinge repair kit (£13.50). Whole lot for under Fifty Quid.

Was last done in 2013, so most likely due a few years ago. Biggest concern though is that oil pump shaft that is notorious on these. Will have a phone around a few places tomorrow and see how much it will be to get that sorted. Apart from the smelly and dirty interior, it drives well. Dogs and light fabric don't go together.

5db35136-413c-43a7-83b2-368d09556cd3.thumb.jpg.974977043c9bdfab778a416780b754ef.jpg

46143500-d634-448f-b661-79048c97d47f.thumb.jpg.82138b153db9d75d8405358e088b3e1a.jpg

Tbf I could have made my life easy and kept the Fabia. But I've had that 4 months and want a new challenge (something more of a liability) 😁

His Tesla was a nice bit of kit. With 450bhp and instant torque, it shifts unbelievably quickly. 
Build quality is actually pretty decent. Even the panel gaps were all pretty much spot on, apart from the front passenger door sitting slightly proud. He said there was a rattle in the door that he was going to get them to sort.

Massive step up in tech to the A4. Interior is different but tbh there isn't a whole lot of touch and feely bit different between the two. Considering Tesla is a new manufacturer and still learning, they've done a excellent job and it isn't that far from the Audi tbh.

2022-02-20 15.24.58.jpg

Staying in an air Bnb and it has this lovely Parisian scene complete with chod assortment on the wall… A6456DFF-F4C8-49F9-8BEE-75EF54F6B65C.jpeg

So we scan the scene for 2CVs… none present.

But what’s that I spy at the end of the row…. 
672F703A-2614-4036-B2A7-92D79749C9F7.jpeg

Looks like a Pontiac TransSport to me!!!

This will be my air Bnb of choice from now on! 

1 hour ago, SiC said:

His Tesla was a nice bit of kit. With 450bhp and instant torque, it shifts unbelievably quickly. 
Build quality is actually pretty decent. Even the panel gaps were all pretty much spot on, apart from the front passenger door sitting slightly proud. He said there was a rattle in the door that he was going to get them to sort.

Massive step up in tech to the A4. Interior is different but tbh there isn't a whole lot of touch and feely bit different between the two. Considering Tesla is a new manufacturer and still learning, they've done a excellent job and it isn't that far from the Audi tbh.

2022-02-20 15.24.58.jpg

I heard the Tesla interior build quality is pretty poor, with a lot of plastic pieces such as door cards and bits of the dashboard being loose or not being secured properly. 

Another 6 hours of no electricity has just ended, although this time it was deliberate. Despite being supplied by 3 different places, they shut EVERYTHING off despite my road having no connection to the power lines concerned. Safety from the system I guess. The engineers obviously deemed the area safe enough because they didn't actually remove the tree that's resting on the cables.

Although the people on the ground said it was deliberate, the people at UK Power Networks' incident centre didn't even know anything was happening when I called up! At least the power's back on for now- perhaps they'll do the repairs during the night.

50 minutes ago, Austat said:

I heard the Tesla interior build quality is pretty poor, with a lot of plastic pieces such as door cards and bits of the dashboard being loose or not being secured properly. 

So did I, which is why I took a close look at it. I'm certainly no Tesla fan but I wasn't going to shit on my colleagues parade. However I still took a lot of mental notes of what I saw. I couldn't see a lot wrong on his example at all. Admittedly the interior is a lot simpler than many modern products and you can see far fewer mouldings. Perhaps this is how they are improving their quality by simplifying. 

On 2/19/2022 at 5:51 PM, artdjones said:

It's probably the same three faulty ECUs being passed around, costing £400 each time they change hands.

A competitor of mine puts a little red sticker on any ECU they test and deem to be unrepairable. I have a saved search on ebay for various part numbers and the amount of stuff I see for sale as "untested just came off my shelf" with this sticker on tells quite a tale.

In fact I have significantly better results buying stuff sold as faulty than I do stuff sold as supposedly good

Spent 10 minutes earlier fixing most of the major problems on the A4. Put the tail light back in to find the brake bulb popped. So pulled it all back out to replace that.
Brake switch is a case of removing the lower dash trim.
cd684c1c78ad28f1b3b640419c1c78ac.jpg

Three 8mm bolts and a tug to remove.
9742bc42524f191fdbcc1790fbafb77a.jpg

Brake switch is on a panel next to the clutch switch. I really like this design as they're super easy to get to without cutting your hand up. Sometimes VAG do get their designs decent.
Unclipped the connector, twisted and pulled the switch to remove.
fef570c636211456266af516c2585879.jpg
b17eccb93d3069c194370a59690bda3c.jpg

New one was of a different style to the original. But the new fitted in fine. Fitting was the reverse of removal.
7dc586685cd73ad04a1ee1b5142abbff.jpg

Glow plug warning light stopped flashing once I pushed the brake pedal.
bab6239118c3fcec94c05016cdb7d92b.jpg

Clutch rest panel was loose when I drove it back. It annoyed me so I pulled it off and threw it in the back. Just pushed it back into place but found the screw missing.
a1b28695333953058290e533fdaa83c6.jpg

Usual place for missing sundries always seems to be ash trays. There seems to be an unnerving amount of spare fuses in here! Found the screw and fixed the foot rest plate back down with it.
a90d09f3eb2038395ca95d6b4d402309.jpg

Next up is the most important filter in the car - the cabin air filter through which the occupants breath through.
The plastic scuttle cover appears to be missing on this. No idea where it's gone. Cabin filter is at the right in this photo. LHD cars have it left side but the RHD the ECU there instead.
ab611602ae0b3fe6bfd113c72f4b77ee.jpg
36ad52d105662bcb46059e4793d22853.jpg

Filter was pretty filthy. Seen worse but still very much due a change.
22abf37efe9649b42fda9e80bdd7efef.jpg

Coolant looks a bit brown and murky. Presumably someone has put the wrong type of anti freeze in at some point.
97f9eeb6516eaa1a1fd5f9c2a2eb4009.jpg

As I type this, I remember that the cabin heater is a bit lukewarm. I wonder if the matrix has been clogged up with the crappy antifreeze mix. Maybe I should give it a flush through? Or maybe I'm opening myself up for trouble! Temperature gets to the normal but did take a good 10-15mins to get there. But that's probably normal for an old diesel and I've got used to modern diesels with more advanced cooling systems and petrols.

Yup. Drain and refill with G12.

The ECP triple QX stuff is decent and cheap to buy in concentrate for.

10-15 minutes to reach operating temperature on the guage is business as usual for VAG stuff of this era. When the thermostats go on them they pretty much constantly sit 1/3 of the way up.

5 hours ago, NorthernMonkey said:

Just about time to set off across country to collect some prime dead VAG shite.

Watch this space…

CB3D48D3-7434-449A-B075-02897C4CA0F6.jpeg

As promised.

Red & dead.

0C8D498A-014A-4BDF-824D-1D5F38106A79.jpeg

Pretty painless experience throughout…just walked back in the door so no more action tonight as it’s dinner time.

I’ll update my usual thread in the morning once it’s unloaded and we can all take a look at the world of pain I’ve once again dived head first into.

It’ll be reight…..