Jump to content

The new news 24 thread


Father Ted

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Zelandeth said:

I don't want to know how much it would take to actually fill this boot... that's about a £250 Costco run!

IMG_20210807_163553.thumb.jpg.9056a1242893cb7b752bf9b239aa4132.jpg

Usefully large car is usefully large.

Yes some things did get rearranged before we left, that macaroni cheese is looking particularly vulnerable as it is in the photo.

I have so far found a pickup truck to be more useful, but you cannot have that in the back of a pickup truck there without scrotes nicking it as you stop for a red light.

State of the world etc etc 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

^^ Indeed. If Lorraine hadn't rung me, I wouldn't have known. But I think the news was spreading internally amongst the posties via various social media sites anyway. I don't use any of those, this is the only social media platform I use and I don't think any other local posties use this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Yoss said:

Strange day. Half way round my delivery I get a phone call from Mrs Yoss, who is also a postie. She's just checked her phone and been told to self isolate for 9 days. So I check the NHS app and mine is telling me to isolate for 10 days. So I ring our line manager (Lorraine has already done this so I know the outcome but have to ring her myself just to confirm).

Screenshot_20210807_114337_uk_nhs.covid19.production.thumb.jpg.11f0b562c684d04b57b82552d8b39acb.jpg

I'm told to come straight back to the office with all the mail I still have on the van and go home. I would have been happy enough to finish my delivery, I mean we're outside but I guess they can't risk it as we're knocking on doors and handing people packets. 

So, back to the office, unload, wipe down all the surfaces on the van (touch points as they like to call them in official speak). Apparently by this point 12 other posties had been 'pinged'. And I put that in inverted commas because it didn't actually ping. If I hadn't opened the app myself I would never have known. Surely it should actually ping, otherwise how would you know? The only times I open the app are when I scan the barcode when entering a pub/shop or whatever. 

It seems to have stemmed from one of our posties who tested positive yesterday. So that's most of Shirley without posties now. This is on top already having 19 absences out of about 120. These are either general sickness or people have left and our management haven't bothered replacing them. I mean this week my partner is on holiday (we are back to van sharing, two in a van). Of the 6 days I've only had a replacement twice. The rest of the time it's just been me. So I've been doing half the delivery one day, then the other half the following day. In fact the half a delivery I bought back today had two days mail in it as this bit didn't go out yesterday. Tuesday was my day off and they didn't cover either side of my delivery, though they did at least sort it in to the frame for me. 

But as of Monday over a quarter of of our office will be off. So if you're planning on posting anything to the Shirley area of Southampton you might want to leave it for a week or so. 

So most of my afternoon has looked like this. 

IMG_20210807_134337.thumb.jpg.e99d304eadde11b1ca4eb37450224de4.jpg

IMG_20210807_160854.thumb.jpg.0b9bfb40923f38f1bc1f98bb3aa5f354.jpg

There's going to be a lot more of this. 

The dreaded "ping" is sabotaging a lot more than the postal services. It's even causing Court cases to collapse

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Agila said:

Tadts.

Mine had both side cables done, New shoes etc, and yes the discs were a bastard to get off. My indy lexus specialist charged £500 with a fresh mot ticket.

He said the cables were £200ish lexus only so don't know where you got yours from?

Unfortunately it's a lexus/toyota thing, they make no allowance for the age and mileage and also make a repair sheet very expensive.

 

 

I only replaced the OS one and paid £75, there are 3 in total so £200 sounds about right! I think I managed to get it through after that fail for somewhere between £500 and £600, which I'd have taken after the Lexus dealers estimate. 

Unfortunately we don't seem to have any Toyota specialists up here, not that I could find anyway.

Most of the undertray bolts sheared, so will need to get the drill and cable ties out and improvise. With that said it really is in very good nick underneath, as JP commented it's nice to work on something that isn't filling your eyes with rust flakes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, captain_70s said:
Dolomite lines are utter garbage, especially the doors.
My car was significantly longer from the bulkhead forwards on one side too, despite no evidence of being bumped. It was just built squint.

Being mines a '74 the tooling wasn't that old (by BL standards). I dread to think how badly things got nearer the end of the cars manufacturing run and trying to make things fit. Not least (iirc) the tooling had been carted between different factories too. It's a wonder they managed to make them fit together at all by then.

No wonder they kept going on strike. 😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a look at the Audi exhaust today. Some pictures are upside down, because they probably are. It was raining and I was busy with the Civic at the time so just kind of waved my phone under the car whilst tapping blindly at the screen to take a photo

20210807_143046.thumb.jpg.676d927b14fdad798f9d39c87ad9b76a.jpg20210807_143621.thumb.jpg.c058a4be32fbab75bf5efc75a59502ec.jpg20210807_143715.thumb.jpg.aded0ed7618c77d2cd4a2641b3a61ddc.jpg20210807_142852.thumb.jpg.bcdd2a9dbf77076ccb423e16cc268043.jpg

The downpipe is toast but I have a good spare.

The cat looks OK however the rearmost part of it has been badly sleeved to presumably cure a blow.

The middle section is toast at that part and the rest of it is rotten but not yet blowing. It appears to be joined to the cat section by 2 clamps.

The rear section is not separated from the middle by a join so the whole lot will have to go.

So I have bought a middle section for a 2.0 for £68 posted which *looks* like it will fit.

Once I have this I'll lay it under the car and see where joins need to be made. I might just get a new cat section as well as those on ebay look the same as the one on the car. I can bolt it to the replacement downpipe as well to check it actually fits to that part.

If that all lines up then I'll get a back section and at that point I can be confident that it will go on without too much faffing and that is garage would be able to do it.

If not, some or more Scotoshiters may be mysteriously washing their hair that, and indeed every night for the foreseeable!

20210807_142838.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, SiC said:

Factory Dolomite swage lines. Top line the door is too high, bottom line the door is too low.
At least I can stop stressing about getting them fractions of a millimetre accurate! 🤣
378a48507e91466ff80a9c25e8aba579.jpg
d9f5b8cdf69b33ff308389c21a7341b7.jpg

That's the quality of steps and gaps we used to get on Thrust Reversers. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

“It’s completed fucking fucked m8, big time”

Carried on stripping this Volvo B20 engine today, the diesel did nothing to free off the pistons but I hoped they’d pop out with a block of wood and some hammering after I removed the crank. 
 

Things all came apart reasonably well but the pistons simply won’t budge, up or down. I was hoping at least one or two would come out but they’re all absolutely solid in the bores. 

The crank doesn’t look too bad but has bits ground out of the webbing, the connecting rod caps have also been numbered, perhaps it’s been rebuilt before and the cranks been balanced. 

I did find some damage that might be terminal, a cracked cylinder liner. The corresponding piston has some bits of skirt missing and appears to have melted, it also looks crooked in the bore, very odd. This damage would’ve certainly prevented the engine from running, or it would’ve at least been pretty obvious there was something drastically wrong. The previous owner couldn’t remember why he parked it up in 1986, this may well be the reason. 

I’m unsure if cylinder liners are available or even removable, I’ll have to look it up and make a decision on the engines future then. 

9402F75B-0E75-4123-96F8-4E8910417F3C.jpeg

ECE0EF0E-1680-4A55-B0B4-09CDE45EFA01.jpeg

3DD112D0-7DEC-4CD3-8B13-9190F3B31FB3.jpeg

3710EB29-AE71-4880-8516-84EE532EA0C7.jpeg

5BC3B5DF-6EB4-4203-9E24-31690C6EF436.jpeg

4E2E5A35-D49F-44A6-B340-8181DFBBB755.jpeg

A29E8AEE-1F13-4394-AB43-856537CEFD4C.jpeg

819B1117-8A2E-4D38-93FC-642DC6EFEF71.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That looks like a one-piece cast iron engine block, ie not seperate liners. Also, that crank; those ground out areas look like they have created some nasty stress-raisers. Probably ready for the re-cycling smelter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

I had a look at the Audi exhaust today. Some pictures are upside down, because they probably are. It was raining and I was busy with the Civic at the time so just kind of waved my phone under the car whilst tapping blindly at the screen to take a photo

20210807_143046.thumb.jpg.676d927b14fdad798f9d39c87ad9b76a.jpg20210807_143621.thumb.jpg.c058a4be32fbab75bf5efc75a59502ec.jpg20210807_143715.thumb.jpg.aded0ed7618c77d2cd4a2641b3a61ddc.jpg20210807_142852.thumb.jpg.bcdd2a9dbf77076ccb423e16cc268043.jpg

The downpipe is toast but I have a good spare.

The cat looks OK however the rearmost part of it has been badly sleeved to presumably cure a blow.

The middle section is toast at that part and the rest of it is rotten but not yet blowing. It appears to be joined to the cat section by 2 clamps.

The rear section is not separated from the middle by a join so the whole lot will have to go.

So I have bought a middle section for a 2.0 for £68 posted which *looks* like it will fit.

Once I have this I'll lay it under the car and see where joins need to be made. I might just get a new cat section as well as those on ebay look the same as the one on the car. I can bolt it to the replacement downpipe as well to check it actually fits to that part.

If that all lines up then I'll get a back section and at that point I can be confident that it will go on without too much faffing and that is garage would be able to do it.

If not, some or more Scotoshiters may be mysteriously washing their hair that, and indeed every night for the foreseeable!

20210807_142838.jpg

I have a set of four piece drive on ramps somewhere you could borrow if that would make the exhaust easier? 

C128BAA4-EC23-4927-BDCB-7029AC0F72D4.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone feel brave and fancy gambling 30 quid? Free shipping apparently although god knows what the custom charges would be if it actually turned up. I'm guessing if it's paid via PayPal you'd have some protection in the event of it being a scam.
https://marterco.com/products/ezylift-3000-tipper-car-lift?fbclid=IwAR0EniiLYaxtsuyWzs1fanHMAyIp-3iRovt7SBvJb9i0SFXSj5-KmaDHxdQ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, dean36014 said:

Anyone feel brave and fancy gambling 30 quid? Free shipping apparently although god knows what the custom charges would be if it actually turned up. I'm guessing if it's paid via PayPal you'd have some protection in the event of it being a scam.
https://marterco.com/products/ezylift-3000-tipper-car-lift?fbclid=IwAR0EniiLYaxtsuyWzs1fanHMAyIp-3iRovt7SBvJb9i0SFXSj5-KmaDHxdQ

Looks familiar 

 

https://www.autoliftproduction.com/en-gb/autolift3000

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, dean36014 said:

Anyone feel brave and fancy gambling 30 quid? Free shipping apparently although god knows what the custom charges would be if it actually turned up. I'm guessing if it's paid via PayPal you'd have some protection in the event of it being a scam.
https://marterco.com/products/ezylift-3000-tipper-car-lift?fbclid=IwAR0EniiLYaxtsuyWzs1fanHMAyIp-3iRovt7SBvJb9i0SFXSj5-KmaDHxdQ

It's a scam I'm afraid. 

The site was created a month ago, there's buttloads of malware and the prices are far too low

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, sdkrc said:

It's a scam I'm afraid. 

The site was created a month ago, there's buttloads of malware and the prices are far too low

Seems we’re back to the old “ if it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck and swims like a duck. It’s a duck!”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, dean36014 said:

Pretty much as I thought but nice to have it confirmed

I got caught out last year by a kitchen goods website linked to from bbc. They recommended a Black Friday deal for a food processor that I’d been looking to buy all year. So i didn’t do enough checking. The scam buster on YouTube Jim browning, got scammed himself last month and lost his you tube account.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just watching an extremely interesting YouTube with Gordon Murray at Harry’s garage. He has no time for style in place of engineering. I pass his new campus ( ex BOC Linde group in windlesham, across the road from Brian may’s place) every day.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...