The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

On 8/4/2021 at 1:26 PM, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Is the lowered, stickered, purple Fiesta still kicking around?  I seem to rememeber it has triangular exhausts.  Lowered to the extent that it couldn't even navigate the car park at anything more than 2MPH at your work...

my work>? patient transport base?

Just now, chaseracer said:

Dim-dip resistor?

Hmm. Is it the right age for dim-dip? I thought the idea was dropped by 1989. Symbols on the headlight stalk and binnicle is the same as all the other cars so I wonder.

4 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Do not know where I can ask about this but I now look through some of my old car pictures are there any places here where I can post them along with some text?

Start your own thread chap. I would love to see them. Plenty of us have our own meandering topics on here. Get one going!

I’m still “processing” the spares haul from the hideously rotten 145 I broke up recently. The axle was saved as it’s a 4.1-1 ratio and should mean occupants will be able to hold a conversation at 60mph, I think the existing axle is 4.5-1 or thereabouts and things can get a bit thrashy over 50.  The rotten back plates were removed and binned, as were the chopped up remains of the trailing arms etc. It was then wheeled into the garage on my £500 snap on axle transporter and there it will stay for a while.

The cylinder head looks mega manky with loads of corrosion and valves stuck open. I utilised a knot wheel to descale the face and valves, probably not the best tool to use but I think the head is borderline Donald Ducked anyway. It didn’t clean up too badly so maybe it’s usable, one cylinder is pretty pitted but I may just “send it” what does everyone think? Diesel freed up the valves so they’ll come out ok, a couple of those are pitted quite badly too.

The diesel in the bores of the bottom end doesn’t seem to have freed anything up yet, although the levels appear to be dropping slowly. I’ve been doing some reading up and my engine is quite a rare 1974-5 unit with an 8 bolt flywheel. These will take 2.1 pistons from a b21 with a rebore, I think 2.1 pistons  are easier to get hold of than the b20 items so that’s something to consider. 

70EC7198-5566-46EC-9F0E-6B495A6156C7.jpeg

4ED328ED-16C9-4FFC-A84A-30BACFD2C120.jpeg

C0275ABC-5F6B-41C0-85CB-135ACDC51D97.jpeg

48C7D254-D7B3-436C-8248-2C11F9E8AD08.jpeg

A065F723-AB77-4ECB-9325-09062826C2D9.jpeg

F190C50F-6CCA-4ABD-A30B-C07C29B06919.jpeg

AC5BC7C1-CA75-4185-861C-4FBD89BFBC95.jpeg

On 7/25/2021 at 12:28 PM, Split_Pin said:

Bridged both fans on the Cav this morning, both working.

20210725_114024.thumb.jpg.c729d42b253ce533ef02dc37620ff583.jpg

I will get a new sensor as well as a thermostat. The housing doesn't look great but the only 2nd hand replacement on ebay doesn't look any better. 

I also shut a screwdriver in the wing channel, jamming the bonnet shut. Thankfully Mrs_Pin was on hand to help me get it open again.

My old car mojo  has taken a bit of a dive this morning.

Fan rad switch went on both of mine (admitadly 1.8 pez ) worth a shout?

One thing I like about my i10 is that I can swirchon the stereo without resorting to putting the key in the ignition. Currently listening to Radio 6 Music. 

However on a humid day like today it would be great if I could put down a few windows without the need for a key in ignition also. 

No pointdoing it now as I have just a few minutes before going back in to work. Enough room to leave the passenger door open. :)

Good success on the Cavalier this morning.

Radiator came out with a bit of a fight.

20210806_123200.thumb.jpg.31b0217c366443087bea5f8c9b4def2a.jpg

One of the 10mm bolts holding on the intercooler was just spinning so had to cut that off. Intercooler looks good, it's now in the boot.

New radiator is correct, a first in many years for me.

Thermostat is different but fits. The original is a twin effort rated at 88c, the replacement is a single item at 85c so I am happy with that and in it went.

20210806_120403.thumb.jpg.106f006f80b63f668a7842d427165e81.jpg

FB_IMG_1628251055337.thumb.jpg.567c1f1fd5fb99d72bf1e7d2c5fcea82.jpg

The tiny 10mm nuts holding on the waterpump pulley cracked off with no bother whatsoever, dreamy or what.

I might do more this afternoon depending on whether or not my son is up for doing anything.

Advancing thunderstorms may I'll need to keep him in and I'll stay in the garage.

20210806_123207.thumb.jpg.5bd07fe39f2ced46f0ae1631045812bf.jpg

20210806_120437.jpg

20210806_122357.thumb.jpg.a4b0ba65add2dc0e6f505e7123dc4987.jpg

New brake master cylinder for the vec. Genuine TRW part costing £110 english pounds. There were some on ebay for less than half the price but I wasn't willing to risk buying and fitting one to find out it was as much use as the stun guns from Space 1999.

Its pissing down here and I have a weekend of nights to deal with so.it's a job for next week.

Got a letter in the post today from my landlady saying that my rent is going up from 1st September.  Normally this'd be a grump but it's only the second time it's gone up in the 13 years I've been here and it's still well below the "normal" market rate for round here, which has gone through the fucking roof in the last few years along with everywhere else.

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

Got a letter in the post today from my landlady saying that my rent is going up from 1st September.  Normally this'd be a grump but it's only the second time it's gone up in the 13 years I've been here and it's still well below the "normal" market rate for round here, which has gone through the fucking roof in the last few years along with everywhere else.

Norwich to London in 90 and the dualling of the A11 have made Norfolk a lot less of a backwater now. Quite a lot of houses around us have apparently sold to people who can work from home a few days a week so it's a bit of a double whammy price wise.

I wouldn't be surprised to see that improve, the same way as Lowestoft seems to be going. There seems to be money moving in with the wind farm work.

We had a holiday flat in Hunstanton quite a few years ago, bought when the area was pretty run down. It didn't take that many years for the place to turn around although I haven't been back there for a few years now.

And finally, the waterpump.

There was a missing bolt from the PAS pump tensioner and thanks to whoever changed the belts last January, that bolt was stuck right down behind the alternator, helpfully restricting it's movement to slacken the belt. I had to remove the bottom bolts for the alternator and it moved just enough to get the belt off. The bolt is still there.

Pump came off OK although I had to smack the pulley a good few times to get it off. 

20210806_164927.thumb.jpg.42c3875d54a22b40d32e328220955a3d.jpg

The pump had little play but conversely it was a little stiff to turn. Happy I'm changing it out. The replacement one appears to be stuck in the post which is OK for now as I'm working on the Civic tomorrow.

Beer time.

Bought a new welder last week and Fed Ex decided to sent it half way around the country in the wrong direction so it came today after giving them hell on the phone yesterday. 

Got one of them fancy synergic welders but the synergic program in it is poor so it'll be staying on manual mode.