The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

One of our neighbours houses is a holiday let.  The couple in it have had no fewer than six visiting couples staying at least one night.  All in their sixties, all parking in stupid places blocking everyone else (I had to help a neighbour to carry his ladders over the top of a golf to his van yesterday).  

11 hours ago, Cheezey said:

I must confess I spent five mins there checking the prices of them all on eBay. I just wanted to make sure one of them wasn’t a limited run by Faberge or something. I reckon if I’d sold them all individually I’d maybe get £100 with a bit of luck. Edit: there is a Range Rover fire service as well not pictured . 

@Split_Pin I’m happy to pass them on to you if you’d get enjoyment from them. Send me your address and I’ll drop them off some time. 

Cheers chap, happy to give you something for your trouble though, I'll fire you a PM!

I had an autobox service on the 545  today - I took it to Preston. It needed a mechatronics sleeve as the old one was leaking - the oil pan had a date stamp of 2010 which was a relief as I expected it to be the original.

Not a lot of oil came out - I have no oil on the undertrays or my drive so I can only assume however did the job did not add enough oil.

To say the car has been trandformed is an understatement - the shifts are smooth and hardly noticable. Before the first few changes would make you lurch in your seat.

Last Saturday while popping along on the M1 coming home from seeing a mate there was a bang. At first I thought I had run over some debris, but hadn't seen anything in the lane. The loss of a bit of power made me realise that it was an injector pipe going bang. Didn't stop  till the next junction and had a look. Yep, squirting diesel all over the engine. Decided that stuffing a rag around the pipe and getting it home would work ok. Had an appointment for Monday at DFTR Auto for some sill welding for the mot next month so left it with them and went hunting a pipe. 

Now I thought it would be a simple task to get one, as these engines were put in a lot of Pug/Cit stuff. Straight on Ebah and found nothing. Internet in general ? Bugger all on the shelf. Ok, can't be too hard to get one made shirley ? Rang a Diesel pump/injector guy I know and he said he could make one but not till next week. Bugger ! So I suddenly remembered a guy, Dean Hunter, who has Pug/Cit stuff from the 70's, 80's and 90's. Why I didn't think of him earlier I'm buggered if I know as I've had bits off him before. Rang him and got an Email address so sent pics of the pipe off with a rule to see the length. Rang later and he was puzzled coz he couldn't find one. Oops, sorry Dean my engine is out of a Cit Xantia. Send pic of engine. Upshot is it's in the Post, first class, so hopefully get it tomorrow. I hate being without wheels. 

7 hours ago, sierraman said:

That’s what I like to see, nicely installed and neat. Not a mass of cables spliced together. 

The only minor improvement, and I'm slicing hairs here, is that I'd like the air filter in a neat black plastic box which looks more standard (even if not) I don't like to think of air being sucked in from a warm/hot engine bay.  I mean why bother with an intercooler, if you aren't going to duct cool air into the inlet?

Plus I are jealllloooous 

Made a start on the timing belt on the Cav. Got stuck trying to get the crank pulley off though. One of the screws had been replaced with a bolt at some point so I got that out but even my impact gun wouldn't touch the other 3.

20210428_195523.thumb.jpg.eece74643cfbdef31fb7c8456ee6249e.jpg

Obviously the engine kept turning when I tried a breaker bar on the others. I'll need to find some way of stopping the engine turning.

I've never done a timing belt before and I forgot how much I hate scrabbling around under cars in a stupid wee garage. Wish I hadn't started the job now!

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Made a start on the timing belt on the Cav. Got stuck trying to get the crank pulley off though. One of the screws had been replaced with a bolt at some point so I got that out but even my impact gun wouldn't touch the other 3.

20210428_195523.thumb.jpg.eece74643cfbdef31fb7c8456ee6249e.jpg

Obviously the engine kept turning when I tried a breaker bar on the others. I'll need to find some way of stopping the engine turning.

I've never done a timing belt before and I forgot how much I hate scrabbling around under cars in a stupid wee garage. Wish I hadn't started the job now!

Big ratchet on the central bolt while using a smaller ratchet on the smaller bolt? Then pushing down on both, the smaller one should undo without the engine turning too much, if at all. Big one is tightening and so won't cause that to come undone. 

That's basically how I got similar bolts undone on my E28.

PXL_20210317_220201839.thumb.jpg.ae57ab75e8b39d8871880edf8cd87dc8.jpg

19 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

A, if he made his living who's to say he's not showbiz enough.

B. If you are a celebrity and still a nice human being then in my book that's great. 

If you are still a nice human being then I'll talk to you. We all put our trousers on one leg at a time, irrespective of 'achievement'

7 hours ago, SiC said:

Big ratchet on the central bolt while using a smaller ratchet on the smaller bolt? Then pushing down on both, the smaller one should undo without the engine turning too much, if at all. Big one is tightening and so won't cause that to come undone. 

That's basically how I got similar bolts undone on my E28.

PXL_20210317_220201839.thumb.jpg.ae57ab75e8b39d8871880edf8cd87dc8.jpg

There's not much room from above so I'll try that from below. Knew I should have given it to a garage to do but I don't really want to spend any more money on it as I'm thinking of possibly moving it on. I felt that a years MOT and a new belt kit would help that.