Jump to content

The new news 24 thread


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

If he wasn't up for fixing it I have had several kind offers from fellow shiters. I'm still visiting them for some welding tuition in any case.

I've ordered the Mig welder I have had my eye on too, so this silly situation can be avoided in the future!

Once you have picked it up you will never look back

Link to post
Share on other sites

A surprise parcel dropped through my letterbox this morning, a fresh off the press copy of my new book. If you've ever thought of cooking or even trying to exist in a campervan, here's the funniest and yet most practical guide that you'll find anywhere. There's no mention of eating moss or shitting in trenches, but there's a bit about snorting vodka & a guide to tenderising meat using a couple of chopping boards & the back axle of a Volkswagen.

DSCN5739.thumb.JPG.58286fd247c8937e5201e509259fb70d.JPG

Buy it from https://veloce.co.uk/store/Cool-Recipes-&-Camping-Hacks-for-VW-Campers-p290771667 or the ubiquitous Amazon

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

I’m quite impressed with my OMGHGVMPGs on an MoT run this morning.

FD3BD29A-39DA-483A-A2D7-FF2A9FFA6402.thumb.jpeg.4e7c6f88e02409cbd595d288e7d6aeba.jpeg
 

 

I reckon a Routemaster bus might have bettered that. They reputedly could do as much as 11/12 mpg on the ordinary service schedule, so that makes them more economical than a Jensen Interceptor.....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished work yesterday at 3 and by 4,30 I'd given the new fleet addition a full service with oil/filters/brake fluid/coolant etc, the oil was like water and I don't think the car has been touched in 5 years if I'm honest, the pollen filter was the original 14 year old one and blocked solid, I also gave the A/C a topup , it wasn't fully empty just a little low on gas.

Today I spent all day (and I mean all day, started at 8am and just finished) redoing the underseal and rustproofing , it wasn't bad underneath but the subframes were a bit crusty, I also removed the silver paint off the rear spoiler (why?) with a bit of acetone and some furious rubbing, and painted the calipers silver as they had been done red by the muppet previous owner (along with half the wheels and the suspension), I also wet sanded the headlights as they were yellow, I should have taken some pics as the difference is staggering.

171206657_748294015789435_457702117505083155_n.thumb.jpg.82921bb4f03badd2eeda3fa5dc35a18b.jpg

I'm knackered now, I'm getting too old for this, now I just have to clean it, which is going to take days, its in really good condition under all the dirt, I've ordered some new buttons for the AC controls, a gearshift gaiter, some new badges and some wipers, once they arrive I'll get them fitted then its good to go, then its decision time on the golf.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I reckon a Routemaster bus might have bettered that. They reputedly could do as much as 11/12 mpg on the ordinary service schedule, so that makes them more economical than a Jensen Interceptor.....

You're pretty much spot on there. The only time I tried working out the mpg on mine it came out at bang on 12. This was when I took it from here in Southampton to RM60 in Finsbury Park. Bearing in mind the bus has neither a fuel gauge or odometer it's wasn't that simple. No motorways were used, A33 and A30 up to West London, then straight through the middle. So I brimmed it at the start and finish. The mileage to London I knew because the A roads run parallel to the M3. The mileage within London was done with a London AtoZ and a good old fashioned bit of string. You can see why I only did it once! It made me laugh when TfL were pleased to announce that they were getting 8 mpg out of their lovely new Boris buses. That's progress. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I reckon a Routemaster bus might have bettered that. They reputedly could do as much as 11/12 mpg on the ordinary service schedule, so that makes them more economical than a Jensen Interceptor.....

A coach geared RMC or RCL probably would.

Bear in mind a this little DAF 12 tonner does about 8-9mpg while on a round. The Mercs do about 3mpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Yoss said:

You're pretty much spot on there. The only time I tried working out the mpg on mine it came out at bang on 12. This was when I took it from here in Southampton to RM60 in Finsbury Park. Bearing in mind the bus has neither a fuel gauge or odometer it's wasn't that simple. No motorways were used, A33 and A30 up to West London, then straight through the middle. So I brimmed it at the start and finish. The mileage to London I knew because the A roads run parallel to the M3. The mileage within London was done with a London AtoZ and a good old fashioned bit of string. You can see why I only did it once! It made me laugh when TfL were pleased to announce that they were getting 8 mpg out of their lovely new Boris buses. That's progress. 

The Leyland National I occasionally drove when I was in Kent used to regularly get into double figures, even with its pollution free* whispering* O510 out the back. AYR352T. Lovely old thing to drive.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My BMW has seriously blotted it's copy book. No water getting across the block to the heater valve and causing the engine to get far too hot from what must be a massive air lock. Suspect something has clogged it up. Only way to find out is to remove the water pump and get a camera down there.

Despite it being driven off the aux belt, removing the water pump requires the cambelt to come off again. Got to this point at which point I was soaked through by the rain.
502eacc6766f570bc601108638de22ae.jpg

It may have been made in 1985, but it's of a very modern design. Pretty much like working on a modern car for the most part but with less bits in the engine bay. Unfortunately those bits that are in there are a right arse to access. A design philosophy that BMW appeared to always have had...

Honeymoon period is definitely over and it really needs to redeem itself if it deserves to stay. It's really not enjoyable to work on either. If it does stay, subsequent repairs will be done by a garage.

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.halfords.com/deals-and-events/free-mot.html?utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=msemse&utm_campaign=phgreferral

Halfords are doing their free MOT with any purchase offer again, I just bought a bucket for £1 to qualify 😀 I always get my cars MOT'D at Halfords and never have any issues (even an XM) but your mileage may vary.

Link to post
Share on other sites

LS back in use again:

1992 Lexus LS400

Misfire was due to failed coil pack, that was sorted without any issue. They'd speculatively ordered one in on the basis of my description so it was quickly sorted.

Cat's got welded-up to cure the noisy exhaust. While it was up on the lift they noticed a coolat leak, turned out to be a small hose with a nick in it and that was easily sorted.

Treated it to a jet wash. Squint and it looks OK, couldn't resist the opportunity to get a photo under the blossom tree at the Japanese restaurant on a birthday takeaway meal collection. Effectively this car was last year's birthday present, so it felt appropriate to be using it again for this purpose.

Also found time to drop into the PO and change the Laurel to historic tax class. It's still showing as SORN although I asked for it to be taxed, maybe it takes a few days to show up as such on the system? Whatever, it's now free to tax which is good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, omegod said:

Busy morning, whipped the front end off the focus I am breaking and pulled the engine and box out as one unit, think I've done too much and will pay for it later! 

2100203658_thumbnail(1).thumb.jpg.90ddfa94399168c545f3027b0f72b76e.jpg

If it's half as much trouble as getting one out of a C5, you have. After a few days of engine swapping activities I can hardly move.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Having replaced the 545's oil I dropped the coolant - well, some of it.

20210411_181236.thumb.jpg.f93e5ee4bc861a13668ac0f85e8b9aaa.jpg

Undoing the petcock dropped a few litres - tinterweb said there was a drain on the block but I could'nt find it. Refilled with neat stuff.

20210411_181324.thumb.jpg.0e11531b57f3264400dee3ca97667b3e.jpg

A nice deep blue unlike the faded blue I had before. Tomrrow it's the tip with the old stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2021 at 4:43 PM, Jazoli said:

Finished work yesterday at 3 and by 4,30 I'd given the new fleet addition a full service with oil/filters/brake fluid/coolant etc, the oil was like water and I don't think the car has been touched in 5 years if I'm honest, the pollen filter was the original 14 year old one and blocked solid, I also gave the A/C a topup , it wasn't fully empty just a little low on gas.

Today I spent all day (and I mean all day, started at 8am and just finished) redoing the underseal and rustproofing , it wasn't bad underneath but the subframes were a bit crusty, I also removed the silver paint off the rear spoiler (why?) with a bit of acetone and some furious rubbing, and painted the calipers silver as they had been done red by the muppet previous owner (along with half the wheels and the suspension), I also wet sanded the headlights as they were yellow, I should have taken some pics as the difference is staggering.

171206657_748294015789435_457702117505083155_n.thumb.jpg.82921bb4f03badd2eeda3fa5dc35a18b.jpg

I'm knackered now, I'm getting too old for this, now I just have to clean it, which is going to take days, its in really good condition under all the dirt, I've ordered some new buttons for the AC controls, a gearshift gaiter, some new badges and some wipers, once they arrive I'll get them fitted then its good to go, then its decision time on the golf.

And now part one of the exterior cleaning is done

zUG7dNH.thumb.jpg.aea7826523a618eede103715fb459c33.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, omegod said:

Busy morning, whipped the front end off the focus I am breaking and pulled the engine and box out as one unit, think I've done too much and will pay for it later! 

2100203658_thumbnail(1).thumb.jpg.90ddfa94399168c545f3027b0f72b76e.jpg

It's not a saloon is it? Dave at work's mk1 had the passenger rear quarterlight fall out recently and we are yet to find a replacement as it's specific to the saloon model. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, puddlethumper said:

I know someone who is selling a Pug 505 Gti estate. OMG ! I've always wanted one of these. It's a one owner as well.

It's £6000 which I'm a bit short on. AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH !!!!!!

Is it local? I read £600 at first and thought that seems cheap..... Got any pictures so I can drool over it too? Could get a bank loan maybe? Sometimes you just have to treat yourself!

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Hacking out with Bill earlier, it seems that there are now Land Rover campers with luxury* upper decks....

20210411_154436.jpg

Love it. Haven't ridden a horse for around thirty years now, but have really wanted to give it a.go again over the last couple of years. Was all set to book a riding morning together with a local company for Mrs L's birthday until she announced that she reckoned she'd 'constantly need a wee'. Bugger. 

Edit: Back in the subject of the Landie, you've got to wonder what sort of ridiculous coin the owner has spent on that setup...

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, ruffgeezer said:

It's not a saloon is it? Dave at work's mk1 had the passenger rear quarterlight fall out recently and we are yet to find a replacement as it's specific to the saloon model. 

Mk2 hatch sadly 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

Is it local? I read £600 at first and thought that seems cheap..... Got any pictures so I can drool over it too? Could get a bank loan maybe? Sometimes you just have to treat yourself!

It's up in West Yorkieshire. I can't do links coz crap. It's on Ebay but not if you look for it straight off. I found it when having a look for 305 bits and have met and bought bits of who's selling it. He deals in older Pug/Cit parts. If you look up Pug 305 parts the fifth entry is from him, peugeotparts, then 'other items' and it should be on page three about half way down, although the first time it was at the bottom, so you might have to rummage a bit.  Stick it up if you can. It's fuckin gorgeous, not biased at all, no no no no no yes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...