Jump to content

The new news 24 thread


Recommended Posts

I made a bit more progress with clearing out the garage over the weekend.  Most of the stuff has been slung in the back of the Iveco for now, but at least I've made a start on sorting stuff into "keep" and "sling" piles.  The Innocenti is also now much closer to being able to be extricated.  I refitted the nearside front wheel, now resplendent with a shiny new ditchfinder that I bought from Camskill and which I got the local garage to fit while they were putting a pair of part worns on the Mondeo.  I'd also taken the battery off to charge up, and once refitted the car fired up with a bit of cranking (always takes a while from cold as the auto choke is broken).  Dry storage obviously suits the car - all the electrics worked when tested, normally when I've left it standing a while I have to piss about wiggling connections to get things to work.  I did notice when putting the front wheel back on though that the brake pads are very low, so I've ordered a set of those.  Hopefully over the bank holiday I'll be able to get it out of the garage and give it a bit more of a going over.

The other job on the list was to swap the wheels front to rear on the Mondeo - I had the replacement tyres fitted on the back, as they were pretty much on the limit whereas the fronts were only worn on the inside edge, but I prefer to have the better tyres on the wheels that do most of the work.  That turned out to be a fairly easy job - I lifted one side of the car at a time, the front on the car's own scissor jack and the rear on the trolley jack - and the garage had done the wheelnuts up to the correct torque rather than going mad with the ugga dugga gun.

The petrol C2 is booked in for a test on Thursday so I went round it quickly checking all the lights etc. are still working as it hasn't been anywhere for a while.  The nearside front tyre had gone down, which was slightly worrying - it inflated again fine but I'll have to keep an eye on that.  Otherwise I haven't found any obvious fails other than the grot in the driver's side sill, but that doesn't mean MOT man won't find other bits wrong...

The diesel C2 disgraced itself this weekend as well - heading in to Norwich on Sunday the rear silencer fell off.  The tail pipe had rusted clean through, and the silencer was left dangling by one hanger, bouncing along the road.  Fortunately the hanger itself was rotten enough that I was able to wrench the silencer off and stash it in the boot.  So that's another bit of expenditure the car needs - if it carries on like this I will have spent more money fixing it than I've been saving on fuel.  It did manage 110 miles on the last tenner of diesel I stuck in though, which isn't bad going, and it isn't stupidly noisy with the back box missing - it's a bit more droney but it's only properly noticeable when I put my foot down.

Whilst I was in Norwich I swung by where I used to live (haven't been round there for over a year) and bumped into the only former neighbour I've kept in touch with - he was just arriving home from fettling his (formerly my) MGB which has been stashed in his mum's garage over the winter (his own garage being allocated to his 1969 Mini Cooper S, which for obvious reasons he wants to keep a close eye on).  So I joined him in his garden and had a good old chinwag, which was nice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lord Sterling said:

Boring car stuff.

Bit by bit I am returning or repairing stuff on the boring modern Peugeot 407.

Rear bumper has always looked like this:

20200718_150900.thumb.jpg.db84a2204367509111ce144d961892cd.jpg

So I bought a trim piece in the right colour. The cheapest one in the right colour had a bit of paint damage which I didn't really mind given the cheaper price. It arrived but had a clip holder missing and a holder tag. Ah well, whatever:

20210329_182622.thumb.jpg.482afbf75b83f2b1ecdf3ffe31d3b952.jpg

Now, the bumper has previously been damaged in the area which explains the missing trim piece, no biggie, but fitting the piece was easy, too easy that it'd easily fall off given a big jolt.

20210329_182634.thumb.jpg.ee4066607dfa7c9cc79db5f2eac7c264.jpg

I need to find a way of keeping it on permanently and discouraging a fall off. There is really nothing behind the clip to keep the piece on apart from some flimsy plastic clips of which one has already departed.

Also, I found a matching alloy and was offered the alloy via eBay for lower than the asking. I didn't take the offer as I hadn't been yet paid. By the time I had, the offer had ended and I sent an offer explaining I'd just missed it but seller didn't reply and the listing ended, so back to the search. 

A nice strong bit of silver gaffa tape will hold it nicely in place... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just seen the 4.0 jag for sale across the road again, it's in the body shop there being polished. 

MOT history looks ok considering it was 19years old last week,

RE02XFAJAGUAR XJ

Check another vehicle

ColourBlue

Fuel typePetrol

Date registered22 March 2002

MOT valid until8 January 2022

Get an MOT reminderwhen the vehicle's MOT is near its time for renewal.(Opens in a new Window) by email or text.

If you think the MOT expiry date or any of the vehicle details are wrong, contact DVSA.
Open All

MOT history

Check mileage recorded at test, MOT expiry date, defects and advisories, and view test certificate

Date tested22 December 2020

PASS

View test certificate

Mileage74,817 miles

MOT test number4756 5104 9379

Test location

View test location

Expiry date8 January 2022

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

  • Both Front Tyres are cracking on the outer sidewalls.
What are advisories?

Date tested19 December 2019

PASS

View test certificate

Mileage74,230 miles

MOT test number7173 3166 3104

Test location

View test location

Expiry date8 January 2021

Date tested18 December 2018

PASS

View test certificate

Mileage73,644 miles

MOT test number5707 3504 4850

Test location

View test location

Expiry date8 January 2020

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

  • Registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread both (0.1 (b))
What are advisories?

The MOT test changed on 20 May 2018

Defects are now categorised according to their severity – dangerous, major, and minor. Find out more

Date tested19 December 2017

PASS

Mileage72,791 miles

MOT test number3256 7027 0512

Test location

View test location

Expiry date8 January 2019

Advisory notice item(s)

  • registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread both (6.3.1d)
What are advisories?

Date tested14 December 2016

PASS

Mileage72,218 miles

MOT test number1822 0302 4473

Test location

View test location

Expiry date8 January 2018

Date tested10 December 2015

PASS

Mileage70,949 miles

MOT test number7063 8616 2829

Test location

View test location

Expiry date8 January 2017

Advisory notice item(s)

  • registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread both (6.3.1d)
  • Nearside Front suspension has slight play in a lower suspension ball joint (2.5.B.1a)
What are advisories?

Date tested9 January 2015

PASS

Mileage69,911 miles

MOT test number8758 7980 5012

Test location

View test location

Expiry date8 January 2016

Advisory notice item(s)

  • Nearside Front suspension has slight play in a lower suspension ball joint (2.5.B.1a)
  • registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread (6.3.1d)
What are advisories?

Date tested24 October 2013

PASS

Mileage67,757 miles

MOT test number2870 1719 3206

Test location

View test location

Expiry date4 November 2014

Advisory notice item(s)

  • Front registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread (6.3.1d)
What are advisories?

Date tested5 November 2012

PASS

Mileage65,758 miles

MOT test number9380 6051 2354

Test location

View test location

Expiry date4 November 2013

Advisory notice item(s)

  • Nearside Front suspension has slight play in a lower suspension ball joint (2.5.B.1a)
  • Rear registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread (6.3.1d)
What are advisories?

Date tested28 May 2011

PASS

Mileage63,815 miles

MOT test number6559 8864 1112

Test location

View test location

Expiry date21 June 2012

Advisory notice item(s)

  • front and rear tyres perishing on sidewalls
What are advisories?

Date tested22 June 2010

PASS

Mileage61,435 miles

MOT test number4839 0357 0191

Test location

View test location

Expiry date21 June 2011

Advisory notice item(s)

  • Nearside Front suspension has slight play in a lower suspension ball joint (2.5.B.1a)
What are advisories?

Date tested19 June 2009

PASS

Mileage57,141 miles

MOT test number1422 7067 9150

Test location

View test location

Expiry date18 June 2010

Advisory notice item(s)

  • nearside front tyre perishing on outer wall
  • engine management light on
What are advisories?

Date tested19 June 2009

FAIL

Mileage57,141 miles

MOT test number9801 4017 9197

Test location

View test location

Reason(s) for failure

  • Offside Headlamp aim too low (1.8)

Advisory notice item(s)

  • nearside front tyre perishing on outer wall
  • engine management light on
What are failures and advisories?

Date tested23 May 2008

PASS

Mileage53,456 miles

MOT test number3526 7484 8140

Test location

View test location

Expiry date3 June 2009

Date tested4 June 2007

PASS

Mileage49,235 miles

MOT test number8426 9565 7134

Test location

View test location

Expiry date3 June 2008

Date tested2 June 2006

PASS

Mileage44,248 miles

MOT test number4317 2385 6139

Test location

View test location

Expiry date1 June 2007

Outstanding vehicle recalls

Check if JAGUAR XJ RE02XFA has outstanding recalls

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MarvinsMom said:

mini fiddling continues - 

have put another coil on, still no spark.

so, tried another rotor arm. nope, still nothing.....

so, tired another king lead onto the dizzy. yes you guessed it, still nothing.

bastard thing!

any one know how easy it is to set fire to a car and make it look like "an electric thing" and not arson?

Condenser?  They're pretty universally awful these days and like to fail at the drop of a hat, usually giving a no or poor spark condition.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, richardmorris said:

Just seen the 4.0 jag for sale across the road again, it's in the body shop there being polished. 

MOT history looks ok considering it was 19years old last week,

RE02XFAJAGUAR XJ

Check another vehicle

ColourBlue

Fuel typePetrol

Date registered22 March 2002

MOT valid until8 January 2022

Get an MOT reminderwhen the vehicle's MOT is near its time for renewal.(Opens in a new Window) by email or text.

If you think the MOT expiry date or any of the vehicle details are wrong, contact DVSA.
Open All

MOT history

Check mileage recorded at test, MOT expiry date, defects and advisories, and view test certificate

 

Date tested22 December 2020

PASS

View test certificate

Mileage74,817 miles

MOT test number4756 5104 9379

Test location

View test location

Expiry date8 January 2022

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

  • Both Front Tyres are cracking on the outer sidewalls.
What are advisories?

Date tested19 December 2019

PASS

View test certificate

Mileage74,230 miles

MOT test number7173 3166 3104

Test location

View test location

Expiry date8 January 2021

Date tested18 December 2018

PASS

View test certificate

Mileage73,644 miles

MOT test number5707 3504 4850

Test location

View test location

Expiry date8 January 2020

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

  • Registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread both (0.1 (b))
What are advisories?

The MOT test changed on 20 May 2018

Defects are now categorised according to their severity – dangerous, major, and minor. Find out more

Date tested19 December 2017

PASS

Mileage72,791 miles

MOT test number3256 7027 0512

Test location

View test location

Expiry date8 January 2019

Advisory notice item(s)

  • registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread both (6.3.1d)
What are advisories?

Date tested14 December 2016

PASS

Mileage72,218 miles

MOT test number1822 0302 4473

Test location

View test location

Expiry date8 January 2018

Date tested10 December 2015

PASS

Mileage70,949 miles

MOT test number7063 8616 2829

Test location

View test location

Expiry date8 January 2017

Advisory notice item(s)

  • registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread both (6.3.1d)
  • Nearside Front suspension has slight play in a lower suspension ball joint (2.5.B.1a)
What are advisories?

Date tested9 January 2015

PASS

Mileage69,911 miles

MOT test number8758 7980 5012

Test location

View test location

Expiry date8 January 2016

Advisory notice item(s)

  • Nearside Front suspension has slight play in a lower suspension ball joint (2.5.B.1a)
  • registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread (6.3.1d)
What are advisories?

Date tested24 October 2013

PASS

Mileage67,757 miles

MOT test number2870 1719 3206

Test location

View test location

Expiry date4 November 2014

Advisory notice item(s)

  • Front registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread (6.3.1d)
What are advisories?

Date tested5 November 2012

PASS

Mileage65,758 miles

MOT test number9380 6051 2354

Test location

View test location

Expiry date4 November 2013

Advisory notice item(s)

  • Nearside Front suspension has slight play in a lower suspension ball joint (2.5.B.1a)
  • Rear registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread (6.3.1d)
What are advisories?

Date tested28 May 2011

PASS

Mileage63,815 miles

MOT test number6559 8864 1112

Test location

View test location

Expiry date21 June 2012

Advisory notice item(s)

  • front and rear tyres perishing on sidewalls
What are advisories?

Date tested22 June 2010

PASS

Mileage61,435 miles

MOT test number4839 0357 0191

Test location

View test location

Expiry date21 June 2011

Advisory notice item(s)

  • Nearside Front suspension has slight play in a lower suspension ball joint (2.5.B.1a)
What are advisories?

Date tested19 June 2009

PASS

Mileage57,141 miles

MOT test number1422 7067 9150

Test location

View test location

Expiry date18 June 2010

Advisory notice item(s)

  • nearside front tyre perishing on outer wall
  • engine management light on
What are advisories?

Date tested19 June 2009

FAIL

Mileage57,141 miles

MOT test number9801 4017 9197

Test location

View test location

Reason(s) for failure

  • Offside Headlamp aim too low (1.8)

Advisory notice item(s)

  • nearside front tyre perishing on outer wall
  • engine management light on
What are failures and advisories?

Date tested23 May 2008

PASS

Mileage53,456 miles

MOT test number3526 7484 8140

Test location

View test location

Expiry date3 June 2009

Date tested4 June 2007

PASS

Mileage49,235 miles

MOT test number8426 9565 7134

Test location

View test location

Expiry date3 June 2008

Date tested2 June 2006

PASS

Mileage44,248 miles

MOT test number4317 2385 6139

Test location

View test location

Expiry date1 June 2007

Outstanding vehicle recalls

Check if JAGUAR XJ RE02XFA has outstanding recalls

Do I like them, yes.

From what you have show us it looks good. When was it last serviced and these have timing chain issues. Any rust? One of the X300s I had, had a bump over rough ground and having the bushes changed cost several hundred pounds.

Remember these are old. While paying a premium for a good looking car makes sense, it does not mean a few faults will not devalue it to a £1000 running wreck.

Would I buy it, probably not as I would hold out for a 4.0 Ltr.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Six-cylinder said:

Do I like them, yes.

From what you have show us it looks good. When was it last serviced and these have timing chain issues. Any rust? One of the X300s I had, had a bump over rough ground and having the bushes changed cost several hundred pounds.

Remember these are old. While paying a premium for a good looking car makes sense, it does not mean a few faults will not devalue it to a £1000 running wreck.

Would I buy it, probably not as I would hold out for a 4.0 Ltr.

It is the 4litre V8 according to the ad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, brownnova said:

Very first person to knock on my new front door (fitted today) was a pikey trying to buy my Saab 900... “I’ll do you a favour and give you £100 for it today and take it off your hands”

Funnily enough I don’t find that much of a favour.... 

 

I know you live in rural Wales but that is a rather offensive racist ethnic slur. I expect much better from a teacher, let alone a mod.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SiC said:

I know you live in rural Wales but that is a rather offensive racist ethnic slur. I expect much better from a teacher....

Maybe he'll show us the Charlie Hebdo Mohammedan cartoon next?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SiC said:

I know you live in rural Wales but that is a rather offensive racist ethnic slur. I expect much better from a teacher, let alone a mod.

Quote

Pikey comes from the word pike, meaning toll road. Nothing else. Nothing derogatory. It is simply a short hand to describe a person who lives on the road. It’s just a bit quicker to say, quite wrongly, ‘pikey’, instead of ‘person from the traveller community who lives on the road’, which is why you tend to get a lot people saying it, particularly when they are telling jokes. It’s not an insult, it’s a form of short hand.

If we are not careful our world will soon be populated by members of the travelling and non-travelling communities, members of the over-eating community, the financially challenged community and those of a legally diverse heritage (criminals).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Removed the electrics on the Cav towbar but rather than cut it off I disassembled it, pulled it through, rewired it and hid it inside the car. It means that a light board could be used in future for a cycle carrier or something.

I'll leave the welder to tackle the bolts holding the towbar on.

The DPD delivery driver was admiring it today too.

20210330_164510.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SiC said:

I know you live in rural Wales but that is a rather offensive racist ethnic slur. I expect much better from a teacher, let alone a mod.

Thank you for educating me... as your post appears to suggest, we haven’t got the latest standards of political correctness here in “rural Wales” (We’ve only just got double glazing and inside plumbing here) so it was unbeknownst to me that the word may cause you offence on behalf of the travelling community. 

What we lack in political correctness we do make up for in 6 nations titles though. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Meh. I personally hold everyone to the same standards - that seems both fair and equal, regardless of profession.

If someone turns up at my house uninvited, I reserve the right to call them whatever I so wish. If they don’t like it, they are free to not turn up unannounced at my property. It’s no more complicated than that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SiC said:

Paki comes from the word Pakistan. That is also considered a racial slur. 

'Pikey' isn't racist, because 'pikeys' don't belong to a different racial/ethnic group. I'm aware that there was some bullshit legislation passed to the contrary a few years ago, but as I've said before: if they passed a law stating that apples are root vegetables, it wouldn't suddenly become true.

You cannot choose your ethnic group based solely on your life choices. Pikeys are ethnically caucasians from the British Isles, just like the majority of UK inhabitants.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Alison hit 247,000 miles today. I bought her at 124,500 miles! 

I had to replace a Signal Valve today; the old one had a browning lower Mica and a bit of the Getter had flaked off. 

Don't particularly want the thing to shit itself and short something expensive out! 

Lord Boots carried out a listening test and looked out for Magic Smoke®

DSC_7942.JPG

DSC_7945.JPG

DSC_7946.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, brownnova said:

Thank you for educating me... as your post appears to suggest, we haven’t got the latest standards of political correctness here in “rural Wales” (We’ve only just got double glazing and inside plumbing here) so it was unbeknownst to me that the word may cause you offence on behalf of the travelling community. 

Did I say it caused me offence? I'm more shocked that you used a racist word which is explicitly against the rules.

Perhaps you need a re-read of the rules? Here is a link for a refresher:

In particular:

"Racism, sexism, incitement to violence? Completely unwelcome here. Similarly, use of terms which disparage the disabled and people with learning difficulties."

You should know too well that Pikey is offensive to Irish Travellers. Why didn't you put Irish Travellers in your post?

It's blatant casual racism. Like I said, its something I don't expect a moderator on here, a teacher no less, to be doing so openly.

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Just as well there aren't currently any Travellers with subcontinental heritage.

Well yes, most evidence points the Romani people (which many term as Gypsy Travellers) to have originate from India. No Romania as is commonly thought here - something Romanians will often be quick to point out. 

 

1 hour ago, MrDuke said:

'Pikey' isn't racist, because 'pikeys' don't belong to a different racial/ethnic group. I'm aware that there was some bullshit legislation passed to the contrary a few years ago, but as I've said before: if they passed a law stating that apples are root vegetables, it wouldn't suddenly become true.

You cannot choose your ethnic group based solely on your life choices. Pikeys are ethnically caucasians from the British Isles, just like the majority of UK inhabitants.

Several things. 

The legislation first came in 1976:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1976/74/enacted

"' racial group ' means a group of persons defined by reference to colour, race, nationality or ethnic or national origins, and in this definition ' nationality ' includes citizenship;"

Hardly something recent.

The word Pikey is considered offensive to Irish Travellers and has been for a long time.

You are implying that it's a life style choice to be an Irish Traveller. How does that even make sense? That's like it's a lifestyle choice to be White British. Or a lifestyle choice to be homosexual...

 

I mean if we don't mind that we use these words which are offensive to a wide group of people, then perhaps we need to re-write the rules to not forbid that. 

...wait, that implies it's ok to be racist? Of course it's not! So why are we having this conversation about whether it's ok to be disparaging to an ethnic group?

Remember it wasn't so long ago that calling Black/Dark skinned people by the N-word was deemed socially acceptable, even in a disparaging sense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SiC said:

I know you live in rural Wales but that is a rather offensive racist ethnic slur. I expect much better from a teacher, let alone a mod.

Perhaps ‘cheeky bastard’ was the more appropriate term because he was in fact a cheeky bastard! He was lucky he encountered Brownnova and not me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, SiC said:

You are implying that it's a life style choice to be an Irish Traveller. How does that even make sense? That's like it's a lifestyle choice to be White British. Or a lifestyle choice to be homosexual...

 

Of course it is. You can't choose to be Irish, but you can certainly choose whether to identify as a 'Traveller'. Which in itself is a ridiculous term, as half of them have lived in semi-permanent settlements for longer than I've lived in all of my previous 5 residences combined. Does that mean that I can identify as an English Traveller and complain about anyone who uses a slang term to refer to me?
More specifically, 'pikey' is used to specifically refer to people who are blatantly behaving in an antisocial/criminal way, rather than just any Irish person with scruffy clothes.

Your other points regarding the legal ruling and official definitions of ethnicity are noted and appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Minimad5 said:

Fuck sake, the internet is so touchy these days 😅

If it wasn't directed at you, don't start crying 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

 

I'm not "crying or touchy" about this causing offense to others. I can happily deal with people with alternative view points or offensive behaviour. It's why I can withstand being on TDW - despite working in a very liberal office and industry, in what is apparently the "woke capital" of the UK.

However this forum isn't supposed to be about that! One of the core principles that are supposedly being held.

How do you know there isn't Irish Travellers on this very forum that are reading that? Normal people that are having to hide their identity because of these preconceptions. Is that a right thing in this world?

We've moved on (I hope) from calling Africans as N*g, Chinese as Ch*nks, Pakistani as Pa*i, Polish as Pol*ack, etc. Likewise calling those with Downs Syndrome as M*ngs, those with Cerebral Palsy as Sp*stics. So shouldn't we be doing the same with calling Irish Travellers as P*kies?

I mean if we are cool with that then fine, but again we keep getting told this isn't acceptable on the forum. So why is acceptable for a moderator to be using such terms?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SiC said:

I'm not "crying or touchy" about this causing offense to others. I can happily deal with people with alternative view points or offensive behaviour. It's why I can withstand being on TDW - despite working in a very liberal office and industry, in what is apparently the "woke capital" of the UK.

However this forum isn't supposed to be about that! One of the core principles that are supposedly being held.

How do you know there isn't Irish Travellers on this very forum that are reading that? Normal people that are having to hide their identity because of these preconceptions. Is that a right thing in this world?

We've moved on (I hope) from calling Africans as N*g, Chinese as Ch*nks, Pakistani as Pa*i, Polish as Pol*ack, etc. Likewise calling those with Downs Syndrome as M*ngs, those with Cerebral Palsy as Sp*stics. So shouldn't we be doing the same with calling Irish Travellers as P*kies?

I mean if we are cool with that then fine, but again we keep getting told this isn't acceptable on the forum. So why is acceptable for a moderator to be using such terms?

Well let the offended folk speak for themselves and privately message who ever has offended them ?

You don't have to act like a voice for these people.... as all we know, you could be making a big deal here over fuck all 🤷‍♂️

Sadly the world is full of things that folk won't agree on, if we had to stop and correct everything then we simply wouldn't anything done.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...