The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

3 hours ago, Fumbler said:

My hand slipped* and I appear to have bought An Car, which should appear in the driveway next month. For anyone interested, here are some 'clues':
It's the obvious choice for a young driver.
It's made by a company famed for superior reliability.

I'm rather very definitely excited.

Yaris.

Or, for the added cool* factor, Starlet. Especially the red version.

Quick update: the Management has at last noticed that I've swapped my black Mondeo hatchback 2.0 petrol (that she commuted in for a few months last summer) for a dark gray Passat estate 1.9 diesel. I more or less gave the game away but I think we were driving away before she properly realised. 

I'm not dead or crawling to A&E and it was a straight swap so I'm going to call it a win. 

20210304_121038.jpg

today we have had the black mini out of the garage, for the first time this year.

we got it started, eventually, 

drove it down to the petrol station , for a gallon of fresh super-plus and some air in the tyres.

then we headed off to Kerrys with the Rover following.

we got maybe 3 miles before it stopped.

it coughed, spluttered, and died.

and it wouldn't start back up.

SO - tow rope on, and back to the garage we went.

got there, and back away its gone! 

dunno whats wrong, well, we know there is no spark, so somewhere the lightening has all leaked out.

is it the points? condenser? coil? something else?

who knows, suffice to say that today has not been the most "productive" of days!

1 minute ago, MarvinsMom said:

we had the black mini out of the garage, for the first time this year.

got it started, eventually, 

drove it down to the petrol station , for a gallon of fresh super-plus and some air in the tyres.

then headed off to Kerrys with the Rover following.

we got maybe 3 miles before it stopped.

and it wouldn't start back up.

SO - tow rope on, and back to the garage we went.

got there, and back away its gone! 

dunno whats wrong, well, we know there is no spark, so somewhere the lightening has all leaked out.

who knows, suffice to say that today has not been the most "productive" of days!

Finding out there's a problem is half of achieving a solution.

Or some positivist gibberish. 

11 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

Nice. Did it ever get played by real live musicians?

Unfortunately not. The goal was to make sure each part was playable in real life, myself being a pianist and my teacher being a violinist. The other instrument, being a cello, was very easy to make playable. The piece would be marked and then sent off to moderators to give a final grade. Alas, lockdown happened as I was revising parts of the piece, so I took the only two copies (and all my other compositions) from the computers just in case anything happened. Quite lucky really as I got a job and I never returned to complete it!

6 hours ago, Fumbler said:

My hand slipped* and I appear to have bought An Car, which should appear in the driveway next month. For anyone interested, here are some 'clues':
It's the obvious choice for a young driver.
It's made by a company famed for superior reliability.

I'm rather very definitely excited.

Aygo?

1 hour ago, Fumbler said:

Unfortunately not. The goal was to make sure each part was playable in real life, myself being a pianist and my teacher being a violinist. The other instrument, being a cello, was very easy to make playable. The piece would be marked and then sent off to moderators to give a final grade. Alas, lockdown happened as I was revising parts of the piece, so I took the only two copies (and all my other compositions) from the computers just in case anything happened. Quite lucky really as I got a job and I never returned to complete it!

I've heard far too many A-Level compositions due to previous career choices - but it actually sounds like your's had promise!

2 hours ago, MarvinsMom said:

Check the condition of the point contacts first. If they're burnt out then very likely it's the condenser. Also check inside the dizzy cap and rotor arm. Don't use a rotor arm with a rivet on. Coils usually fail when hot and then work again once cooled off. Multimeter on ohms across the terminals should give you an indication of its state.

What condenser have you got on it? NOS, modern intermotor/Lucas/etc tosh or something else. If intermotor/Lucas/etc then order a HQ condenser from Moss. Don't forget a new set of points too. 

6 hours ago, SiC said:

Check the condition of the point contacts first. If they're burnt out then very likely it's the condenser. Also check inside the dizzy cap and rotor arm. Don't use a rotor arm with a rivet on. Coils usually fail when hot and then work again once cooled off. Multimeter on ohms across the terminals should give you an indication of its state.

What condenser have you got on it? NOS, modern intermotor/Lucas/etc tosh or something else. If intermotor/Lucas/etc then order a HQ condenser from Moss. Don't forget a new set of points too. 

what sort of condenser? lord knows, its the one that the car came with! 

seriously as the car ran lovely we have just left it alone.

however now that the sparks have leaked away we are going to have to have a  closer look at, and renew as required the ignition circuit.

i cannot wait......

9 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Maybe your after-lockdown project could be to get them played!

1 hour ago, MarvinsMom said:

what sort of condenser? lord knows, its the one that the car came with! 

seriously as the car ran lovely we have just left it alone.

however now that the sparks have leaked away we are going to have to have a  closer look at, and renew as required the ignition circuit.

i cannot wait......

Couple of quick ones to check:

The spade terminal and wire on the side of the distributor, make sure this is nice and tight. The original distributors used a nut and bolt which are usually ok, pattern distributors use a rivet and I had one that worked loose years ago, causing an intermittent loss of current.

Check the points gap hasn't closed up. You'll get some idea by watching the points while an assistant cranks the engine over.

I discovered today that water is getting into the Audis boot space even when the lid is closed so it all had to come out for an assessment.

10739980_Screenshot_20210307-132327_VideoPlayer.thumb.jpg.288caa23562c78ac78c5faa2eff90c58.jpg

Some rust in the near side well.

1445766686_Screenshot_20210307-132347_VideoPlayer.thumb.jpg.1d8e948a41e8878728278ef0c14a4730.jpg

Thankfully just surface.

2099854244_Screenshot_20210307-132434_VideoPlayer.thumb.jpg.b3ee45b4433f469f007000d1de34c394.jpg

Painted and waiting to dry.

I think i need a new bootlid as someone has cut a hole in it in the past to get to the lock mechanism .

The Maestro can jump start the Princess.  That's worth knowing.  I thought maybe the signs of OMGHGF were my imagination on the Princess since it didn't repeat the bubbles in the expansion bottle at first, then after quite a while idling they appeared so yeah, shame.  Princess also gave me a mild fright by having a bit of a lean, thankfully that was just a nearly flat tyre and not an attack of Hydrasag.  HGF, worn piston rings, and just general wear and tear means the engine is still coming out for a rebuild, it makes sense.  I've got someone lined up to do it, we're just waiting on the world returning to some semblance of normality so that we can get together and get it sorted. On the plus side, everything other than the engine - lights, gauges, gearbox, brakes - all work just as they ought so really the only things left to do on the Princess is the paint (soon, now the weather is improving), engine rebuild, and complete the audio install.  Then it can go back to being a regular car I use regularly.

Ugh...This represents basically an entire afternoon of work.

IMG_20210307_165340.thumb.jpg.198464681ab835a0d200f3131cd994d0.jpg

Router used to be in here and this corner was basically just a sea of spaghetti that I'd done my best to ignore for the last five years.  With the router now being elsewhere (hence the hole in the floor) it seemed like a good time to tidy things up a bit.  Not least by making up a couple of my own cables as the original ones were about 10 metres too long in a couple of cases. 

Glad it's sorted, but it really shouldn't have taken a quarter of the time!

A week or so ago the handbrake on the V70 suddenly went up 10 clicks instead of the usual 5 or so, this was followed up a few days later by one rear wheel getting caked in brake dust. Uh oh. These Volvo handbrakes are often a total pain in my experience and it’s rare to get one working perfectly. 

Fast forward to today and I take  the chance to investigate. Sure enough both brake linings have fallen off the shoes and were getting ground to dust by the rotating drum. Fortunately I’ve had a set of nearly new brake shoes salvaged from a scrapper and these were fitted along with a pair of manual adjusters to replace the flat metal bar that was previously installed from the factory. Contrary to previous experiences nothing was corroded to buggery and nothing broke, what a bonus! I Adjusted everything up and my feeling of smugness at a job well done evaporated when I found one wheel now had a totally non functional handbrake. Arses. It turned out the “balancer” had unhooked itself from one cable, this necessitated the removal of the centre console to remedy but with it hooked back up I’ve now got a lovely strong handbrake, which I’ve found to be a rare thing on these V70s! 

83FD0449-580A-457E-BF00-7EAACEEA437C.jpeg

31ECD24E-1E75-4CE4-85AC-6CF8976EA240.jpeg

55AC740D-A4A0-4D54-9AB9-4535161AA130.jpeg

7BC90022-272A-40B4-A94D-BA5B6D058767.jpeg

9 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

Couple of quick ones to check:

The spade terminal and wire on the side of the distributor, make sure this is nice and tight. The original distributors used a nut and bolt which are usually ok, pattern distributors use a rivet and I had one that worked loose years ago, causing an intermittent loss of current.

Check the points gap hasn't closed up. You'll get some idea by watching the points while an assistant cranks the engine over.

The gap on our Mini used to disappear at regular intervals. Condenser failures were fairly common, but it would usually run, just not well.