The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Today i went to work in the Aldi just to find out it had water in the O/S footwell.

Apparently, gunk accumulated so much that it obstructed the drain ducts, so the water found its path through the cabin air filter into the cabin itself.

Great.

4 hours ago, OM646 said:

Today i went to work in the Aldi just to find out it had water in the O/S footwell.

Apparently, gunk accumulated so much that it obstructed the drain ducts, so the water found its path through the cabin air filter into the cabin itself.

Great.

That's a standard feature on a lot of VAG cars :D

12 hours ago, Tim_E said:

You'll get there, it won't be too long before we're allowed out a bit more, possibly. I mean months rather than years😅

Oh we will for sure (providing it doesn't blow up). However it's my wife driving it usually and she has zero interest in the mileometer. So there could be a good chance I'll miss the roll-over!

My turn out in the little VW Fox. By God it's built down to a price. The doors and particularly the tailgate crash shut. Thin isn't the word, but it does what it sets out to do & there's a comfortable ride, if little or no roadholding. It lights up its tyres with the minimum provocation, but it's nippy and cruises on the motorway at 70mph/3,500 rpm which is about the same as the 944!

the verdict from the barefoot is in - it's OK.

Well I've taken the first tentative step towards converting the Trafic into a camper.  I was looking at those Chinese diesel heaters on eBay - my neighbour has recently installed one in his Bedford Bambi and reckons it's brilliant - and found a reputable-looking UK seller flogging them for £79.99, which seemed reasonable enough.  I was debating whether to go ahead or not, but then when I clicked to add to my basket the price dropped to £66, which is the cheapest I've ever seen them.  So I did a buy.

It's never going to be a Cobblers-style van, but the heater will remove my main bugbear about camping - that I always wake up freezing my bollocks off at about 3am.  A mattress on the floor in the back and maybe a Porta Potti in the corner behind a shower curtain with some basic handwashing facilities will be enough for me - I wouldn't be doing any cooking in there or owt like that so a kitchen would be a bit of a waste of effort.

17 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Well I've taken the first tentative step towards converting the Trafic into a camper.  I was looking at those Chinese diesel heaters on eBay - my neighbour has recently installed one in his Bedford Bambi and reckons it's brilliant - and found a reputable-looking UK seller flogging them for £79.99, which seemed reasonable enough.  I was debating whether to go ahead or not, but then when I clicked to add to my basket the price dropped to £66, which is the cheapest I've ever seen them.  So I did a buy.

It's never going to be a Cobblers-style van, but the heater will remove my main bugbear about camping - that I always wake up freezing my bollocks off at about 3am.  A mattress on the floor in the back and maybe a Porta Potti in the corner behind a shower curtain with some basic handwashing facilities will be enough for me - I wouldn't be doing any cooking in there or owt like that so a kitchen would be a bit of a waste of effort.

Got a link, please ?

3 hours ago, wuvvum said:

This is how I see it. So many of the coach built ones look like they are 40-50% kitchen, but you’re on your holidays! Get a chippy! A comfy bed and some kind of toilet facilities would do fine. You can always have a wee burner under the tailgate to make a coffee or whatever

Had a work meeting... hmmm.... haven’t driven the 900 in a couple of months I’ll take that.

Battery: You wot M9... don’t think so.

So I go to work and come back and the. Run the battery charger on an extension, pop the bonnet and..... shit myself because a mouse sprints across the engine!

Little bugger goes and hides C926B4FF-3EDC-4A97-BBF7-397A927E075A.jpeg

Worried that it may have infested I hook the battery up to the charger and leave the bonnet up so it’ll go away.

I return to the car half an hour later... no sign of Mr or Mrs Mouse. Good.

Car starts, good. I reverse it from its spot and watch as a mouse jumps from the front of the car into the hedge... 

I put it on the proper part of my drive and get ready to check it over at which point another mouse makes a leap from the front bumper inches from me. Now I’m a proper bloke and don’t scare easily, but I jumped a mile and shouted fuck off you fucking fucker very loudly at it... 

Good news: no sign that they got into the car, and no obvious signs of damage under the bonnet.

Bad news: there were mice under my bonnet... were they living there? We are in the countryside and do get mice around but never had them in the cars before! 

Other bad news the Nova and MX5 are also both parked on that storage part of the drive and have been for a long time... I’ll take a bloody big stick and check them for critters at the weekend.

Ahhh countryside life! 

4 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Had a work meeting... hmmm.... haven’t driven the 900 in a couple of months I’ll take that.

Battery: You wot M9... don’t think so.

So I go to work and come back and the. Run the battery charger on an extension, pop the bonnet and..... shit myself because a mouse sprints across the engine!

Little bugger goes and hides C926B4FF-3EDC-4A97-BBF7-397A927E075A.jpeg

Worried that it may have infested I hook the battery up to the charger and leave the bonnet up so it’ll go away.

I return to the car half an hour later... no sign of Mr or Mrs Mouse. Good.

Car starts, good. I reverse it from its spot and watch as a mouse jumps from the front of the car into the hedge...  

Bounce sheets used to work for us when we lived in a mouse infested house with character* in the middle of nowhere... And traps loaded with bits of Mars bar, but they could be messy.

Our record was 11 mice in a night. We soon moved to another great* house near a river that had reoccurring issues with rats. No cars were ever eaten though.

We’ve not had any in the house yet this year... unlike last year! 

12 minutes ago, Crispian_J_Hotson said:

Bounce sheets used to work for us when we lived in a mouse infested house with character* in the middle of nowhere... And traps loaded with bits of Mars bar, but they could be messy.

Our record was 11 mice in a night. We soon moved to another great* house near a river that had reoccurring issues with rats. No cars were ever eaten though.

Can you explain Bounce sheets to me please... my googling brings up something that goes in a tumble dryer... 

1 minute ago, brownnova said:

Further googling suggests they hate the smell! Excellent. I’m off to Tesco! 

Yes, theory is that meeces use smell to detect predators, when there is one or two of these sheets in a cupboard, car or whatever, they can't smell the situation so they do one back to Disney land - apparently. Best defence, get a cat.

3 minutes ago, Crispian_J_Hotson said:

Yes, theory is that meeces use smell to detect predators, when there is one or two of these sheets in a cupboard, car or whatever, they can't smell the situation so they do one back to Disney land - apparently. Best defence, get a cat.

Yup, get a cat, ideally several in case one or two of them aren't hunters. 

1 minute ago, stuboy said:

get 2 keeps them hap

5 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Well I've taken the first tentative step towards converting the Trafic into a camper...I wouldn't be doing any cooking in there or owt like that so a kitchen would be a bit of a waste of effort.

Cold beans on bread with a packet of crisps then is it?

To be fair, you can always throw a camping gas stove in if you decide you need bacon butties and cups of tea.

20210204_211111.thumb.jpg.91c495a3b74905e6767094fc800e11fd.jpg

Covid-compliant Clio collection caper.  2 miles away so it was a caper in miniature.  Forecast was wrong so I got soaked walking there too.  Fake pez shot as tank was half full.

RN spec so keep fit everything, and it'll do hopefully.  1.6 automatic for added peril.  Must admit, although the Morris has been performing main car duties well, it's nice to have something with a heater and de-misting properties.

It's also been five months since my last purchase.  It feels gooood...like having a drink after denying yourself all month or something!