The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

SD1 time.20210129_190824.thumb.jpg.feb707ca6609cb433b90b5acc81d7d93.jpg

Hopeful of getting it legal this spring. One thing that terrifies me is fire - in light of this I have been cleaning the plugs and connectors under the bonnet. It is a harsh environment and they are 35 years old.

20210129_190837.thumb.jpg.b5eef7593b35294663612753d19b2a9b.jpg

This is the sheathing from around the main loom - frayed and impregnated with oil and filth - so it's going. I will replace it with slit tube.

20210129_190830.thumb.jpg.7e8da4d899cb6ebfb70de4c2424c4c86.jpg

The wiring is not too bad - it's not crispy and still flexes. For such and old car it has a lot of electrics. Once I am happy I will replace the fuel hose with something that resists ethanol.

Been paid today. A little less than usual so ended up with less than money than usual but thats the story of my life...

I decided to get the tracking done on the Peugeot. I passed a newly-opened tyre outfit on the way to shopping and decided to pop in and get a quote for tracking.  The right-hand front wheel always felt a bit 'fragile' when turning right since the front bushes were done. £30 later and the car feels a lot more confidant and on the road, the tracking was 'miles out' (they always say that).  No more slowing down to a crawl when going around corners. 

20210129_153309.thumb.jpg.25f0a049af6a449e5f8a43cbde6fdcf0.jpg

I treated the car to a wash and dry but as I was wiping the door shut lines and wheels down, I'd literally only noticed (rather embarrassingly) that one wheel is slightly different from the rest 😳

20210129_161941.thumb.jpg.b14bad4c8f574399b5439c948ee2c7d9.jpg

20210129_161947.thumb.jpg.d7d8c590bf638d01efd8e1b2691f7aab.jpg

Its the same size, same tyre size, similar styles etc... but even so, I think I'll be on the lookout for another set of alloys or at least a matching one to join the rest (might be cheaper like that actually)

I must admit, doing stuff to this car has so far been fairly easy and has actually made positive improvements. So I think I'll continue improving on it and doing whats needed whilst using it as my daily.

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

I thought you'd noticed it and just weren't mentioning it!

I noticed that ages ago but held my tongue out of politeness.

Nope. I honestly hadn't noticed it. I didn't have a huge amount of enthusiasm for the car and I haven't spent a lot of time checking it out sinve I got it as it was supposed to be sale fodder.

Plus, I've honestly had other things on my mind this last year so noticing a slightly different alloy wasn't, oddly on the top of of my list. I usually notice small details like this. My radar just isn't where it eas once at.

I'm not hugely bothered. It has 4 wheels, it works and gets me from a to b. But now I know about it, I feel its high time it got some better alloys.

5 minutes ago, 320touring said:

I need to get out more..

Well in chap!

Thanks! For me this is the holy grail of modern, affordable Jags. I was lucky to snag the deal, as a swarm of enthusiasts wanted their mitts on it. Can’t wait for it to be shipped over tomorrow. Of course it needs work, but it should be on the road soon enough. There are a couple of nice upgrades in the engine bay and I confirm it is rapid. Ditching the auto transmission makes it such a different character. It will punch you in the stomach and walk off with your wallet if you provoke it.

2 minutes ago, Broadsword said:

Thanks! For me this is the holy grail of modern, affordable Jags. I was lucky to snag the deal, as a swarm of enthusiasts wanted their mitts on it. Can’t wait for it to be shipped over tomorrow. Of course it needs work, but it should be on the road soon enough. There are a couple of nice upgrades in the engine bay and I confirm it is rapid. Ditching the auto transmission makes it such a different character. It will punch you in the stomach and walk off with your wallet if you provoke it.

The old e32 735 I had that was manual was completely different from the auto ones I had.

That xjr will be an 1800kg go-cart

9 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Assuming it's an X300?  I don't think they did the X308 XJR as a manual did they?

Correct, it’s a supercharged X300, with a Getrag 290 transmission. No XJ has had a manual gearbox option since the end of the X300 production run. Rumour has it that only around 5% of X300s were manuals. 102 RHD XJR6s came from the factory with a manual box. There is an excellent video dedicated specifically to the manual XJR by a guy called JayEmm. I’ve actually driven the car in the video, it’s tremendous.

On 26/01/2021 at 6:47 PM, stuboy said:

Got sent out at 8am to rescue a crew and wait with there vehicle for recovery... minus 1, no shelter for 2 hours... I froze.... 

20210126_074949.jpg

20210126_075607.jpg

20210126_082732.jpg

20210126_102842.jpg

20210126_100804.jpg

IMG-20210126-WA0014.jpeg

Ah that will be the Fiat factor in full affect then,  when the crew's come in on shift they almost fight to get a sprinter over the Fiat's, I've been bribed with fresh filter coffee and cake for a Mercedes in the past 

10 hours ago, brownnova said:

Baby is teething and so sleep is not happening... so currently lay on the sofa watching a man dismantle an invacar engine... 

I am glad you are fully educated on line now as Mrs6C needs her clutch's changed in her Invacar!

When my youngest was teething the only thing that sent him to sleep was a long drive in a car, fortunately my company car was fully expensed including petrol! On one of the worst nights even the M1 motorway was not doing it so in spite of being midnight I decided I would go the 95 miles to Southend. Just before the M25 he dropped off and I about turned, by then I was looking forward to Southend and felt a bit disappointed. 

Fingers fozen swapping batteries on the cars . C1 now has a recent halfords 063 battery which is bigger than the oe one that failed , the new 063 battery had 4 more amp hours than the ageing 063 in the focus , so in the focus it went .  So hopefully we should be ok now , apart from the c1 needing some more itailian tuning to clear out the remains of the mayonase brought by short trips , as in a mile each way !!!!!!

Just now, High Jetter said:

That's not a phrase you hear everyday!

I have always enjoyed Southend, when my kids were young and money was tight I would take them in my company car, buy us low cost sit down fish and chip suppers and a couple of quid for rides and they thought they had been on holiday. There was also the free entertainment of Kevin and Tracy along with their mates driving up and down in their XR3s etc.

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I am glad you are fully educated on line now as Mrs6C needs her clutch's changed in her Invacar!

When my youngest was teething the only thing that sent him to sleep was a long drive in a car, fortunately my company car was fully expensed including petrol! On one of the worst nights even the M1 motorway was not doing it so in spite of being midnight I decided I would go the 95 miles to Southend. Just before the M25 he dropped off and I about turned, by then I was looking forward to Southend and felt a bit disappointed. 

A drive was considered, but a Saab driving around at 1am may have caught the attention of the local covid rule enforcement agency... but had the dulcet tones of Hubnut not worked I would’ve taken the fine for some peace and quiet... but as it was she calmed down and fell asleep happily before Ian had even got Twc running! 

46 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I have always enjoyed Southend, when my kids were young and money was tight I would take them in my company car, buy us low cost sit down fish and chip suppers and a couple of quid for rides and they thought they had been on holiday. There was also the free entertainment of Kevin and Tracy along with their mates driving up and down in their XR3s etc.

We used to take our sons there when we lived in the southeast. They much preferred it to Brighton, as did we. What you saw was what you got without any pretention.

Eva used to be a sod for sleeping, Amy used to do the drives as I had work but she took my xm to do it, as eva went faster! 

Charlie had none of it though, somewhere I've got a picture of him sat smiling in his rocker at 3am or some silly hour with a miele on low sat next to him whirring away. Thankfully once his teeth came through he started settling again but fuck me that was a long week

JAAG GOES SWIMMING SHOCKER.... 

Snuck in behind some generic MPV and sailed the seven seas. They slowed down halfway through which made the old arse go a bit but we made it. 4 cars didn't, suggested by the hazard warning light show the other side and that mini... She was steaming like a goodun. Figured the Jaag had taken water in a back box because she was shooting some steam out of one side when I got on the motorway.  Had to swerve the M11 north at Harlow because a cop car was up backwards on a barrier, so that meant the lanes. Despite living around those ways for yonks, I forgot about the flooding!

100% journey success.