Jump to content

The new news 24 thread


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Lord Sterling said:

Upon returning from La Belgique I did some self-isolation time. Then upon release I decided to some stuff to the Peugeot.

Firstly I gave it a clean:

20201220_160411.thumb.jpg.65be8971855446772107338ee0edc861.jpg

20201220_160439.thumb.jpg.f19013c471b67164a95c3e6102452afe.jpg

20201220_154904.thumb.jpg.2a1b508d8211f7c6a259b24d721218c2.jpg

20201220_154919.thumb.jpg.0339f9ab9de048c7ca2d3d718a1ed8d7.jpg

It has Peugeot rubber mats which have never really been cleaned but upon giving them a wipe over with a damp cloth and scrub with black shoe polish, they came up like brand new.

My hand-held Gtech vacuum gave the carpets and seats a good vacuum.

In isolation, I'd ordered and paid for a centre arm rest lid. Mine was shit, the plastic retaining pin had snapped off so driving about, the arm rest lid would fly open or closed when slowing down which was highly annoying. My cack-handed attempt at repair did not work.

However, even more annoying was the fact that Peugeot, in their infanate wisdom decided to use all sorts of different centre console configurations. The one I had bought had a retaining was located 1cm over to the left of the pin retainer. Enough not to be able to easily move the plastic pin on the lid:

20201230_020335.thumb.jpg.223860b5efb212910fb8de4c6da76fe5.jpg

Red is my cack-handed repair and yellow is on the new incorrect lid.

Peugeot are known for using whatever parts they can lay their hands on. There doesn't seem to be any evidence of usi g the same parts across the same models. Even stupid things like brake pads can differ from one car of the same model and year 😡 ***slow clap***

So I found a small bolt, screwed into the crappy hple made in the original lid and used that to close the lid successfully:

20201223_165155.thumb.jpg.d0f3e5f22ec26122024d0fb57c35d46e.jpg

Now it just needs tracking and a minor investigation into why the left headlamp doesn't work (hint: it isnt the bulb) maybe look at why the passenger side window plays up and possibly, if I feel flush, a return of the passenger side check-strap.

 

I remember from the 206 I had the multiple options Peugeot put on things for no reason, very annoying.

The 407 looks amazing in that colour though 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shirley Knott said:

Of all the tools I have, the Pela pump has to be biggest game changer. Great aren't they?

Loads of others have made life easier- Ratchet spanners, mains impact tools, Sealey brake bleeder etc, but none of the above have seen as much use as the Pela. In the 8 years or so I've had mine I must have done 40-50 oil changes with it, still going strong.

Mine is a Laser one, identical in every way to the Pela,  just a fraction of the price. I've done about 20 oil changes in it since I bought it in late 2018. I had to replace an o-ring in it this year but otherwise it's been great. I no longer wince at the thought of having to do an oil change, they are now that easy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve just ordered a Silverline fluid pump off eBay. I’m more interested in it for doing shitty jobs like diff/gearbox oil changes etc rather than engine oil. 
Ive got the diff and power steering oils to change on the Volvo, which is why I bought it, so hopefully it’ll work well! It’s got to be easier than trying to undo ancient seized drain bungs or trying to catch old fluid in cut up bottles etc in the engine bay. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Make sure the oil is warm if possible.

I tried doing the diff oil on the Capri a few years ago by using a big old syringe with a length of plastic washer hose stuck on the end. 
It worked, but my god it was hard and time consuming trying to suck cold thick gear oil out with it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Craig the Princess said:

I remember from the 206 I had the multiple options Peugeot put on things for no reason, very annoying.

Peugeot made more 206s than any other car, and I think it's their only car which started with normal wiring and was multiplexed during production.  They were also made in several different factories.

 

Agree though, @Lord Sterling that 407 actually looks appealing, well done!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Inspired by Mr the Pin I also have my Pela doing the Clio at the moment.  I ordered the sump plug tool 2 months ago but the ground temperature is zero and it's nice to be able to do an oil change whilst WFH.  Without getting changed.

How much of a fight the oil filter puts up I'll let you know.  Like everything done by a garage, it's probably tighter than an Nun's chuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites

At least access is ok on that era of Renault. I always have a total war with the Audi as the engine is longitudinal and the spin on filter points diagonally back and down towards the bulkhead. Even although I give the new one the customary smear of oil, tighten it by hand only, Giant Haystacks sneaks in and nips it up a further 850nm in the intervening 6 months.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

I tried doing the diff oil on the Capri a few years ago by using a big old syringe with a length of plastic washer hose stuck on the end. 
It worked, but my god it was hard and time consuming trying to suck cold thick gear oil out with it!

Which axle? For some I believe it's quite easy to whap the rear cover off. Mine's a banjo where the cover is on the other side though.

I have an old soap pump bottle from the kitchen which I use to top up gear/diff oil as required. Thoroughly recommend for awkwardly mounted fill holes high up on the side of boxes!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, N19 said:

My favourite job! Everyone loves smelling of cat piss...

The worst part is that I've had a bottle of gearbox oil in the boot of my Saab since a couple of weeks after I bought it (in late June) and it even has a lovely plastic filler neck on the gearbox, clearly visible in the engine bay!

No excuse!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, N19 said:

Which axle? For some I believe it's quite easy to whap the rear cover off. Mine's a banjo where the cover is on the other side though.

I have an old soap pump bottle from the kitchen which I use to top up gear/diff oil as required. Thoroughly recommend for awkwardly mounted fill holes high up on the side of boxes!

Sadly, no rear cover on mine either.

0E479CA4-5566-49AA-A07B-B208CB1B45DA.thumb.jpeg.2e32c9c592268764c869f9adde256bb1.jpeg

I might steal your soap pump bottle idea, it’s awkward using the spouts on the oil bottles and trying to squeeze them to force oil out. I did fill the Capri up using one of those little oil cans with the little pump handle but it took ages and made my thumb ache!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Evas watching some horse tripe on netflix and I keep spinning the plates through the mot checker... 

There's a vw camper in this episodes plot, typical shiny outside and modern plates for a 1976 van

SmartSelect_20201230-161156_Chrome.thumb.jpg.272b458537a5072b4d6bcf17f00539d1.jpg

Had that twice in a month too before suddenly a pass with all the welding gone... 

 

Glad I’m not the only one that does that! Inspector morse, lovejoy and minder are great for this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, danthecapriman said:

Sadly, no rear cover on mine either.

0E479CA4-5566-49AA-A07B-B208CB1B45DA.thumb.jpeg.2e32c9c592268764c869f9adde256bb1.jpeg

I might steal your soap pump bottle idea, it’s awkward using the spouts on the oil bottles and trying to squeeze them to force oil out. I did fill the Capri up using one of those little oil cans with the little pump handle but it took ages and made my thumb ache!

Got compressed air? Make a hole in the top of the bottle, pipe into diff and blow air in the hole on the top of the bottle.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually managed about two hours down at the garage before I got a bit parky. First up was an alternator swap on the Capri. Newer alternators seem to have a slightly larger pulley, thus needing a fanbelt one size up from usual. Proper tensioning to follow tomorrow and the obligatory test run if it's not too salty. 

IMG_20201230_202425.thumb.jpg.459ecdca962d36380d0d149be3b27e9b.jpg

That done, I decided to sort out the corner of the garage where I should have some more workbench space. I've also improvised a parts/grubby hands washer out of two old adblue cartons and an old ikea bookshelf for extra ingenuity. The shelf at high level should hopefully clear some of the crap out of the way so that I can keep the work area clear for whatever I'm working on. I have somewhere some extra LED rope light to go round there to light up properly. 

IMG_20201230_205057.thumb.jpg.b44874d9cddca56f6f04ff0ba78558c2.jpg

IMG_20201230_202425.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well i have just ordered up new discs and pads for it (the green stuff ones are absolute Horseshit) and i have even found a good second hand exhaust for it in Tunbridge Wells.

And it needs,i hope just the wheel balancing as there is strange vibration at 70 mph.

Once that's done and i'm happy then it'll need to find a new home and i will offer it on here first.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ran an essential* errand today, took the Audi.

Took my seatbelt off.

Ah yes, that could be suboptimal in a crash. No idea how that came loose. I did notice it was loose but I thought that it was meant to be articulated and didn't realise that it was actually loose. I have a suspicion that a garage may have done this to assist the belt retraction as they're a bit slow. I will sort this properly when the weather is better.

Also, life in winter with a 20 year old convertible:

IMG_20201231_123317.thumb.jpg.3d70054f9eedb7fdf82fb92929654103.jpg

IMG_20201231_123327.thumb.jpg.e943def7e553565d639353a80513d0ce.jpg

The carpets are actually bone dry, it's just to stop drips onto the seats from the door seals. The dehumidifiers haven't collected any moisture in a week either so that's good.

Still a GR9 car though, hopefully won't need much for it's upcoming MOT.

IMG_20201231_123538.thumb.jpg.f8c4f4e36fde760ad04afa5a2cbb5091.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Ran an essential* errand today, took the Audi.

Took my seatbelt off.

 

Ah yes, that could be suboptimal in a crash. No idea how that came loose. I did notice it was loose but I thought that it was meant to be articulated and didn't realise that it was actually loose. I have a suspicion that a garage may have done this to assist the belt retraction as they're a bit slow. I will sort this properly when the weather is better.

Also, life in winter with a 20 year old convertible:

IMG_20201231_123317.thumb.jpg.3d70054f9eedb7fdf82fb92929654103.jpg

IMG_20201231_123327.thumb.jpg.e943def7e553565d639353a80513d0ce.jpg

The carpets are actually bone dry, it's just to stop drips onto the seats from the door seals. The dehumidifiers haven't collected any moisture in a week either so that's good.

Still a GR9 car though, hopefully won't need much for it's upcoming MOT.

IMG_20201231_123538.thumb.jpg.f8c4f4e36fde760ad04afa5a2cbb5091.jpg

A lovely car that, has done you very well so far. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah...the early days of experimenting with 3D printing.  Attempt 1 at this model failed to adhere to the print bed and was sent skittering off across the floor by the extruder at about 45%.

Cleaned the build plate and tried again.

This time it's bonded sufficiently well to the build plate that I could probably lift the printer, desk and house foundations by the print stuck to the build plate.

What fun!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...