The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

15 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Aaand it's broken.  Run out of electricity on the M25.  Currently at Clacket Lane services waiting for the AA. 

Aw Wuv, it’s like I never went away.

That sucks. Why are so many sellers such lying bastards these days? (I guess I’m assuming they didn’t mention the alternator was fucked.)

Although at least it had some fuel in it I suppose. And the decency to drag its sorry French arse to a service station, if you’re generous and count  Clacket Lane as service.

2 hours ago, MikeR said:

Rapid sober up this morning , answered the doorbell to 2 ladies dressed in police uniform , thought a early Xmas present had arrived , but no , big kick off in the street in the night and I slept throu it , they wanted the footage from the CCTV ...  ... 

Charge them an admin fee ? 

13 minutes ago, Skizzer said:

Aw Wuv, it’s like I never went away.

That sucks. Why are so many sellers such lying bastards these days? (I guess I’m assuming they didn’t mention the alternator was fucked.)

Although at least it had some fuel in it I suppose. And the decency to drag its sorry French arse to a service station, if you’re generous and count  Clacket Lane as service.

Lol.  To be fair to the old heap it was fine until I switched the headlights on.  It managed 70 miles before it decided to play up.  AA patrol has been and gone, alternator is officially goosed.  Now waiting for the big yellow taxi home.  Normally I'd be happy to save the fuel but this thing does nearly 80mpg on a run so I won't even be saving that much. 

I can get a second hand alternator off ebay for 35 quid so not the end of the world.  It doesn't look like too much of a twat to change, although it looks like the tensioner will need to come off. 

I have changed our family breakdown insurance from Wifey's expensive package which came with her bank account to one with AutoAid.

Thanks to two recent recommations from a retro car YouTuber of this parish I decided to go with AutoAid as they are cheap and seem to cover almost everything you would want, include cars over 15 years. Wife gets free cover too, and it's both personal cover rather than vehicle cover.

Let's hope I don't need them but let's face it, I drive old shonky cars 😅

On 12/19/2020 at 8:07 PM, clayts450 said:

50,000 miles into my same day courier adventure and today my breakdown cherry was finally popped.

Nearside rear tyre flat as a pancake, went on the M1. Luckily* for me it was in the smart upgrade section (just north of J13, just before the bit where you 'rev up your engines (it's Scotty Kilmer)' for the burst from 60 to 70mph. Thankfully there was a handy gap into the works access, so I was able to pull out of the live running lanes (recovery guy said well done for thinking on my feet...or rather my three working tyres anyway).

Lucky break was because it's free recovery in that section of roadworks, so I didn't need to fuck about ringing the RAC. 10 minutes and along came a recovery truck (BDV Recoveries, based in Yorkshire - bloody brilliant guys) took me back to Newport Pagnall to enable me to change the wheel. Naturally as soon as I get the wrench out, it chucked about a year's worth of rain onto Newport Pagnall service station. Amazingly the Combo had a full size spare, a brand new Continental no less.

Delivery accomplished, albeit two hours late. I offered to forego my fee for the job with the shipper which is the accepted etiquette in the trade - rang him and kept him updated, but he wouldn't have it, said 'shit happens' and that he'd ring me Monday with more work - top bloke.

Glad I've got that one done and dusted, should be okay for another 50K hopefully. Gonna take the busted Cross Climate down to F1 tomorrow to see if it's fixable, or if not get a replacement - can't really have three all-seasons and a summer tyre.

Quick follow-up. It was a puncture and a big hole to boot. Plugged neatly by F1 for £21 - well happy with that. Wheel is now back on, spare back underneath the van, all systems go for tomorrow.