The new news 24 thread

Vespa passed it's MOT yesterday, a hat trick of recent scooter tests. 

Charged the battery up for the Derbi, bastard still wouldn't start but then I discovered why it's been so hit-and-miss: there's a choke on it which I wasn't aware of! An internet search revealed its whereabouts (under left hand side switch gear) so that, a boost pack (I think battery is knackered) and getting the fuel tap into a working position did the trick. Helpfully* it started to leak petrol out (from the tap) straight away, though. New battery will be ordered.

Talking of batteries, the (new) one on the Sierra is struggling to start it, put it on charge but the charger says it's good to go. It's a top quality* Lion branded battery.

In other news, have been offered a Spanish Lambretta (Serveta, possibly?) 125 in a deal for the orange Scomadi. The Lambretta is a 1972, I think British registered from new. Rough as bollocks but it does run.

I've had a Lion in the Princess since forever.  Seems like a pretty robust battery, I've used it in other cars, to jump start other cars, flattened it by accident a couple of times and it's always come back around no bother with a charge or a jump start.  Then again, I've known other folks with Lion batteries that have found them to be the crappest battery of ever, so I guess their quality control is a bit British Leyland.

2 hours ago, SiC said:

Given its stuff full of 80s electronics, its better to be too low than too high!

However I'm guessing the alternator is a bitch to replace? (iirc haven't you done it once already on this car??)

Changed the belt...that took pretty much a whole day.  The belt diagram tells the tale...

IMG_20201210_184431.thumb.jpg.66c1a92bf33462956b9703bde8e91178.jpg

I have a sneaking feeling access from underneath is fouled up because the subframe the engine sits on is right in the way...I suspect "remove offside inlet manifold" is the recommended method of access.

At least I have the manual now I guess!

Edit: Overvoltage is at least easily spotted here as there's a warning light for that...the one that you'd think is the no charge light!

Far left is over-voltage.  Far right is the normal ignition/no charge light.

IMG_20201129_140149.thumb.jpg.a99f400a6804cdf616570ffba4f02452.jpg

45 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Changed the belt...that took pretty much a whole day.  The belt diagram tells the tale...

IMG_20201210_184431.thumb.jpg.66c1a92bf33462956b9703bde8e91178.jpg

I have a sneaking feeling access from underneath is fouled up because the subframe the engine sits on is right in the way...I suspect "remove offside inlet manifold" is the recommended method of access.

At least I have the manual now I guess!

You might be lucky and just need the regulator on the back changing. That might be possible to do in-situ.