The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

3 hours ago, stuboy said:

Few mores bits found whilst searching .. and his racing helmet

20201128_152329.jpg

wonder what happened to the car they are off of? its still on the DVLA untaxed since 1981 but last V5 was issued in 2005 so I wonder if its still around?

also in the same series as this AC Acedes :) (although sadly this Acedes was robbed of its mark back in the day, and now has the age related VRM BFW598B, it also had a close relative 1350KR, but I dont think that one is a survivor sadly)

74930264_590249695079705_6032684667092598784_n.jpg

EDIT: also worth noting that I think those plates in your picture are a pair of Homo-Hygrade plates, notable by the distinctive way they did the digit 8 :) (and technically a predecessor of the serck plate as the company was bought out by them IIRC!)

and before anyone gets funny with me about the name!

image.thumb.png.3182ae6baf27abe90c66269040558807.png

Just filled up the Mondeo - 25 litres in 120 miles.... 21mpg?! OK, accepting that it's a 2l estate and many of the journeys are half an hour each way going 20-30mph... it was returning on average 29-30mpg a while ago. Last week had the same level of 'economy' but wondered if it was a one off error in filling or something. I don't know these fancy fuel injected engines with their fancy gubbins (it's a 2l zetec)... oil/filter/plugs etc all changed a few months ago. Will have to have a poke around tomorrow and maybe some fancy petrol followed by a blast up the A1?

8 minutes ago, N19 said:

Just filled up the Mondeo - 25 litres in 120 miles.... 21mpg?! OK, accepting that it's a 2l estate and many of the journeys are half an hour each way going 20-30mph... it was returning on average 29-30mpg a while ago. Last week had the same level of 'economy' but wondered if it was a one off error in filling or something. I don't know these fancy fuel injected engines with their fancy gubbins (it's a 2l zetec)... oil/filter/plugs etc all changed a few months ago. Will have to have a poke around tomorrow and maybe some fancy petrol followed by a blast up the A1?

Could be worse averaged 12mpg on my last tank in the Jag😂

With the Civic working reliably, 205 wheels sold, some back pay due, and a decent bank balance, as well as an MX5 to get rid of as soon as someone shows up with £reasonable, I'm looking for a fun car that's not fucked, and with much more of a budget than my typical escapades... 

Oh, and I get full fat cheapo classic insurance now cause I turned 25 two weeks ago. 

11 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

wonder what happened to the car they are off of? its still on the DVLA untaxed since 1981 but last V5 was issued in 2005 so I wonder if its still around?

also in the same series as this AC Acedes :) (although sadly this Acedes was robbed of its mark back in the day, and now has the age related VRM BFW598B, it also had a close relative 1350KR, but I dont think that one is a survivor sadly)

74930264_590249695079705_6032684667092598784_n.jpg

EDIT: also worth noting that I think those plates in your picture are a pair of Homo-Hygrade plates, notable by the distinctive way they did the digit 8 :) (and technically a predecessor of the serck plate as the company was bought out by them IIRC!)

and before anyone gets funny with me about the name!

image.thumb.png.3182ae6baf27abe90c66269040558807.png

1964 Ford, 1498cc, MK1 Cortina I reckon?

5 hours ago, Ghosty said:

With the Civic working reliably, 205 wheels sold, some back pay due, and a decent bank balance, as well as an MX5 to get rid of as soon as someone shows up with £reasonable, I'm looking for a fun car that's not fucked, and with much more of a budget than my typical escapades... 

Oh, and I get full fat cheapo classic insurance now cause I turned 25 two weeks ago. 

You’re getting rid of the MX5?

3 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

1964 Ford, 1498cc, MK1 Cortina I reckon?

Yeah Initially I thought it was for the Ford Zephyr buried in there, but as you say comes back as a cortina

also quite curious because normally when you see plates on their own like that their normally from a car long gone, and if the plates are of some reg marked deemed quite valuable, then I expect to stick it into the DVLA and get some modern kitchen appliance on wheels but (thankfully) not in this case

The elderly Ford Focus my dad owns recently failed it's test on "rusty" brake pipes,the reality was a bit of light surface rust,same with the "bulging" front brake flexi hose on the front,I could not see it bulging despite my best efforts.

Still they were duly replaced and I though I was finished with it just to book in its retest.

Test drove it yesterday all good,decided to nip down to the shop this morning and I got a huge clonk when turning the steering.....yup it's a broken spring.

FFS!!

20201129_122336.thumb.jpg.a965ec7cd42673314cd82222ac500bf7.jpg

I went treasure hunting today and I now own this 52.000 mile stunner 

20201129_161525.thumb.jpg.e479b8ec0bc122b090d00512b45f404a.jpg

Now I have to find a way of getting it back home,  the previous owner will get it to hard standing if it survives that ? The boot opened up okay but the arse of the car then fell off held only by the boot rubber seal

20201129_131742.thumb.jpg.5207b000246a845df130507a065623ce.jpg

Anyone with a flat bed or trailer near The New Forest please feel free to contact me regarding movement of this pile of parts, interior shots 

20201129_131626.thumb.jpg.1c019434be3a821fb219ea04392033ef.jpg

20201129_131642.thumb.jpg.5dd18eaad97f186b130db12dc26bcb20.jpg

Note keys still in the fully functioning ignition switch

8 hours ago, brownnova said:

You’re getting rid of the MX5?

Needs a roof. 
Needs suspension all round.
Paint isn't great. 
Needs various gaskets. 
Needs driver's window regulator. 
Boot gets wet. 
Oh, and it uses a lot of water. 

It's a massive can of worms and I just really don't want to get into it when I could sell it, get my money back and buy something else in better nick. As I'm still working 5-6 days a week I don't have the time or mental capacity for a project at the moment, I just want something I can enjoy.

21 hours ago, N19 said:

My hatchback 2.0 Mondeo tells me I'm doing 33, which is disappointing considering my 2.5 6 cylinder BMW was doing 31, and I verified that.

I've not yet done a real test on the Mondy, I'm a bit scared I might not like the result.

I'm doing a motorway trip on Friday, I might reset the mpg guage to make me feel better.

16 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Porsche 924?

I happen to have one that's decent but tatty as hell that I'm looking to move on...

4 hours ago, rusty998 said:

Now I have to find a way of getting it back home,  the previous owner will get it to hard standing if it survives that ? The boot opened up okay but the arse of the car then fell off held only by the boot rubber seal

Anyone with a flat bed or trailer near The New Forest please feel free to contact me regarding movement of this pile of parts, interior shots 

Barn find, good runner, spares and repairs. No test pilots please.

I managed to read the transmission fault codes from the Granvia today.  It's coming up as a fault on both No.1 solenoid and the torque converter lockup solenoid.  Which makes sense.  I think the No.1 solenoid is an intermittent fault and the lockup solenoid is permanently buggered, as even when the gears are all working properly the torque converter doesn't seem to ever lock up.

There are a couple more tests I can do to test the resistance of the solenoids etc.  It took me a while to track down the ECU - seems to be just one for engine and gearbox.  I found a diagram online showing which wires do the solenoids - it's for a 4-runner so a different engine but the plug layout looks the same so I'm going to go with the assumption that the wires will be the same too.  It's nothing helpful like a separate plug for the transmission either - the transmission-related wires are spread out across the three plugs and 64 pins of the ECU.

I'm not sure how how much use all that is going to be though TBH.  If it is knackered solenoids then repair would involve taking the gearbox to bits, and given that the inside of an auto 'box is basically black magic that's not something I feel comfortable doing.  On the other hand if it is a broken wire I really don't fancy trying to trace that back through the wiring loom either.  I'll dig out my multimeter and do the tests next weekend and then consider my options.

The good thing is that the codes didn't show a fault with the speed sensor, so I don't think it's related to the MPH conversion chip - so that's saved me having to take the clocks out, which is a good thing because I bloody hate pulling dashboards to bits.

In non-Toyota-related news I also made a start on the gearbox mount on the Renault 6.  I didn't have time to complete the job due to running out of daylight, but I've (hopefully) got everything lined up so that I can get it done in under an hour in the next bit of dry daylight fettling time I get.  The car continues to amaze me - it's a really quite rusty, nearly-50-year-old Renault, but yet in 13 years of ownership I have yet to encounter a seized bolt...

1 hour ago, Tim_E said:

My hatchback 2.0 Mondeo tells me I'm doing 33, which is disappointing considering my 2.5 6 cylinder BMW was doing 31, and I verified that.

I've not yet done a real test on the Mondy, I'm a bit scared I might not like the result.

I'm doing a motorway trip on Friday, I might reset the mpg guage to make me feel better.

Is there a way of resetting the mpg gauge? It would be useful to know what the car thinks it's doing. It is showing 32mpg average which until recently was near enough right. Slightly lower is reasonable given the lack of long runs at the moment, but 21mpg is surely way out. Although could be the petrol pump cutting out before the tank is full and throwing calculations off...?

Trying to read up on the mysterious world of EGR the like.

47 minutes ago, N19 said:

Is there a way of resetting the mpg gauge? It would be useful to know what the car thinks it's doing. It is showing 32mpg average which until recently was near enough right. Slightly lower is reasonable given the lack of long runs at the moment, but 21mpg is surely way out. Although could be the petrol pump cutting out before the tank is full and throwing calculations off...?

Trying to read up on the mysterious world of EGR the like.

I think that using the petrol pump click-off to measure when the tank is full is not accurate, though an error of 33% is huge, maybe it did cut out too early.

Is yours a mk2? Mine is a 2.0 Duratec so it's the Mazda engine, I think first used in the MK3, which mine is. I think Zetec engines were earlier? I know the name remained as a trim level in the mk3, ford are the ultimate intellectual asset recyclers.

Anyway, on mine there is a little button to reset the calculations next to the mpg etc read out. It's the same set up as the trip milage reset next to the odometer.

4 hours ago, wuvvum said:

given that the inside of an auto 'box is basically black magic

I've had an autobox apart. 

You'll need an impact gun, but the guts only go in and out in one order, and being methodical and keeping everything in order you can't really go wrong. 
You shouldn't even need to go inside the box as it sounds like the gears themselves are fine, the solenoid packs are generally on the outside and just replacing them should be all you need to do. 

10 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Needs a roof. 
Needs suspension all round.
Paint isn't great. 
Needs various gaskets. 
Needs driver's window regulator. 
Boot gets wet. 
Oh, and it uses a lot of water. 

It's a massive can of worms and I just really don't want to get into it when I could sell it, get my money back and buy something else in better nick. As I'm still working 5-6 days a week I don't have the time or mental capacity for a project at the moment, I just want something I can enjoy.

Do you fancy a 3.2 MV6 

20201118_145944.jpg

11 hours ago, rusty998 said:

Why?