The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

18 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Wow! Usually whatever goes on the back of his truck either won't see another mot next year or hasn't for the last few... Nice! 

I’ll ask him what it needed when he’s over tomorrow to do the 2cv mot and service for me.   Alternator was shot we think and a rear coil spring was mentioned at the main dealer. The mileage is against the scenic, but it is exceptionally quiet and generally smart with no rust. 

Insurance is up on the Ignis on 20th next month. Current insurers wanted an increase from £220 to nearly £300. So I've told them bumhats and went to the silly welshman with the even sillier moustache. £187 was best value quote (includes MLP, breakdown, protected NCD and courtesy car etc). Normally I'd bung this in the grin thread because I've not had a sub-£200 ever in 25 years of driving, but it comes with a compulsory excess.

23 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

If I could get decent airflow through the heater it would be less of an issue to be honest.  Now she's driving nicely use is the best thing for her.

Just really wish getting in/out of the garage wasn't such a bloody production as there are two cars parked in front of it - which on some days there's nowhere less than a five minute walk away I can move them to, even temporarily.

I can forsee a day where we just pave over the whole front lawn to be honest...not as though a 12'(ish) square of threadbare grass is otherwise doing much useful.

All the grass dug up  and placed in upside down in one other 3 corners to make small mounds. 

Breathable fabric placed onto mud. 

Wooden edging placed around the edge. 

3 x1 ton bags of stones. 

I did ours in 2006. 

Plants now cover the mounds. 

Total cost ? 2 days hard graft and £150. 

20201118_145944.jpg

8 hours ago, SiC said:

This is a new one for me!

20201126_222057.gif.a46ddd4df70347c698c76b9a3afbee60.gif

Mine in the Kangoo is currently reading 35-38 degrees. Not bad for Fife in November.

Even more impressive as the ambient temperature sensor will still be attached to the donor Clio wing mirror, the Kangoo doesn't have one! Must be nice wherever it is.

33 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

Painting, drying, inspecting next day...

Not pretty, but it blends with the rain and road silt at least.

Job done 👍

20201125_114620.jpg

20201125_142502.jpg

20201127_090335.jpg

20201127_085203.jpg

It'll hide it until you start to wash it again next spring and then the weather will be nicer and you can decide if you still care! Looks fine from where im sitting! 

Yesterday was a year to the day since bringing the Saab up the road. It's been my wife's daily since July, as such it hasn't seen a wash or a bit of maintenance in that time. Oil and all filters changed this morning, along with a coolant temp sensor that's been throwing an EML on and off. Finished off with a good scrub up. Hands down my favourite car bought from here. 

IMG_20201127_115718.jpg

Rover passed its MOT without advisories, this is pretty much unknown in my life. Chap could find no coolant leak, only a very gentle weep under pressure from the corner of the radiator. He tells me to continue to keep an eye on it. The original pollen filter was lifted out of 2 inches of water and the plenum drains were... drained. Life is good.

18 hours ago, egg said:

I think that's deliberate, I saw similar once with a lady of a certain age, ooh err.

I was considering buying some trainers in the black Friday sale last night,  then wondered how much I could save by buying on eBay, knowing how many people seem to buy shoes and never wear them.  This was the suggested first hit..

Screenshot_20201128-132656.png

One thing I can't stand on cars is them smelling. Especially from Cigarette smoke, being a non smoker.

The Clio is smelling fusty from a few years of continuously being damp inside. So when a OZone fogger popped up as a black Friday deal I grabbed one.
8afd6e36deac993cb8330c0913870143.jpg
b544416a7c71ec5a95d7b388c58b7413.jpg

The idea is that OZone is an unstable molecule and wants to shed one of its oxygen atoms. So anything it hits, it breaks down the chemical bond and thus making it less smelly. Or something along those lines.

Inside is surprisingly well made considering it's a random brand from China.
63c503f431a063a632c0f107a69711f4.jpg

Turning it on makes dangerous sounds and smells that you might expect from such a thing coming from China. Certainly not something you want to be near for any length of time.

Going to give it a run in the Clio in a bit and see what effect it has. Probably end up burning the car to the ground. 😆