The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

14 hours ago, brownnova said:

Monday seems a random day... what time is it? 

Yeah, I thought that. I believe it's the 3rd Monday of the month for cars. There's another night for motorbikes but I'm not sure which day? I've only ever stopped off at this pub on a Sunday if I see anything interesting in the car park. I think I might pop down tonight so I'll only get there around 6ish. This is the last one as it's getting darker earlier. I haven't driven the MX5 with the roof down at night for a while. The pub dates from 1302!

https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/181261/merseyside-weekly-mondays-scotch-piper

13 hours ago, SRi05 said:

This is booked in for a set of 4 new tyres on Thursday, after that I'll use it to waft about in on my days off work, since it doesn't fit in the carpark I can't drive it there 🤣

I'll probably list it for sale before the winter, although I don't expect much interest. The last one I had took ages to sell on here. This one only has 74k miles on it however, so might be  a more attractive proposition 

@Split_Pinto the beige courtesy phone

Oh blimey, I think me dad's getting more and more serious about getting one of these:

star-266-1-e1586626377366.thumb.jpg.e6e0fde77f9542ffef9c0132852db02f.jpg

Star 266 6x6 lorry. He used to have a civilian, 2x4 version of this thing until the mid 90s and I think nostalgia is kicking in hard.

They keep showing up for sale for peanuts as military surplus, and while it's started as a bit of a joke that we should get one, I guess joking about acquiring more automotive shite is never as non-serious as it appears. :P

5f5f8472b6d56_p.jpg.968f228da6b5345219eb0b8d03bb241b.jpg

This one has popped up for sale for the equivalent of about 1450 quid and my dad's now probing around whether I'm down to go and have a look at it this weekend.

I think what's particularly appealing to my dad is the prospect of turning it into a camper. Problem is, he's licensed to drive lorries, I'm not. :(

This is going to inevitably end with me needing to get a category C license I guess. :P

1 hour ago, davehedgehog31 said:

@Split_Pinto the beige courtesy phone

I've owned this for about 5 weeks. In that time I've replaced the front pads and discs, changed the oil, replaced all 4 tyres and spent £700 on paintwork. Lucky if I've driven it 200 miles 😂

Looks fucking fabulous parked outside the hoose though 

13 hours ago, brownnova said:

.... last night I went to the petrol station and filled three Jerry cans. 

One for the green 2CV to see if adding 5 more litres would lead the fuel gauge to register since my tank replacement, one for the Nova as it too wasn’t reading anything on the fuel tank, and one for spare... 

What was the Fairy Liquid bottle for?

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I still don't understand why people understand why I have a 2CV, but think I am odd for having a Visa or two!

Quicksilver and I were discussing this very point yesterday. Having both driven your 2CV and most, if not all, of your Visa variants, we agreed that, although the 2CV is great fun, we would both prefer a Visa for use as day to day transport.

1 hour ago, Slowsilver said:

Quicksilver and I were discussing this very point yesterday. Having both driven your 2CV and most, if not all, of your Visa variants, we agreed that, although the 2CV is great fun, we would both prefer a Visa for use as day to day transport.

What would you prefer to own as one out of the two as a weekend toy?

6 hours ago, Borsuq said:

Oh blimey, I think me dad's getting more and more serious about getting one of these:

star-266-1-e1586626377366.thumb.jpg.e6e0fde77f9542ffef9c0132852db02f.jpg

Star 266 6x6 lorry. He used to have a civilian, 2x4 version of this thing until the mid 90s and I think nostalgia is kicking in hard.

They keep showing up for sale for peanuts as military surplus, and while it's started as a bit of a joke that we should get one, I guess joking about acquiring more automotive shite is never as non-serious as it appears. :P

5f5f8472b6d56_p.jpg.968f228da6b5345219eb0b8d03bb241b.jpg

This one has popped up for sale for the equivalent of about 1450 quid and my dad's now probing around whether I'm down to go and have a look at it this weekend.

I think what's particularly appealing to my dad is the prospect of turning it into a camper. Problem is, he's licensed to drive lorries, I'm not. :(

This is going to inevitably end with me needing to get a category C license I guess. :P

Is there much of that sort of thing about where you are?

I only ask as I’ve got a major horn for ex soviet era trucks, and really fancy a KRAZ 255! Failing that a ZIL 131 or 157. Trouble is, there aren’t exactly many around over here and I’ve got no contacts where there are some!

31 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

I only ask as I’ve got a major horn for ex soviet era trucks, and really fancy a KRAZ 255! Failing that a ZIL 131 or 157. Trouble is, there aren’t exactly many around over here and I’ve got no contacts where there are some!

https://m.mobile.bg/results?pubtype=4&marka=Zil&currency=лв.&sort=1&nup=0~1&slink=h3cnoi&page=1

https://m.mobile.bg/results?pubtype=4&marka=Kraz&currency=лв.&sort=1&nup=0~1

2 hours ago, Slowsilver said:

Still a Visa I think. Less common, just as quirky, cheaper and just as much fun. Downside is no opening roof though (although someone on here has a convertible version, Hmmm!).

Don't forget the poor neglected LNA!

I think it's almost a tradition that in September I post a 'golden hour' picture of a clean Mondeo. Lovely day, in another month it will become miserable to wash a car, so savour it now!

IMG_20200921_165130.thumb.jpg.38dbbb2305555d0a1cf5545a21a62bd6.jpg

I've secured some off road (outdoor) storage for December, Jan and Feb to give it a winter rest this year.

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

Brownova - make sure the 2CV's fuel tank wiring is still connected near the rear seat. A lot easier to get at than dropping the tank again! Sadly, the earth is usually the culprit. You may need to make a fresh one and that will need you to drop the tank again.

Well he’s had practice now.

3 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

Don't know about "a lot", but if you want one they're not difficult to find. They're being constantly sold off by the Polish army and quite a few seem to be advertised online by private sellers. Out of all the trucks you've mentioned a Star 266 is going to be by far the smallast, most modern, comfortable and drivable. They were a legitimately modern truck for their time and had a much more western-like design philosophy overall, so will lack a lot of the harshness and physicality of soviet offerings. That said, they're still a 70s design, so they're not going to feel all that modern these days. Being a 6x6 with lockers they're obviously decently competent off-road, but probably not to a level of something like the KrAZ.

Here's a cool video from Poland's biggest offroading channel on them:

24 minutes ago, Borsuq said:

Don't know about "a lot", but if you want one they're not difficult to find. They're being constantly sold off by the Polish army and quite a few seem to be advertised online by private sellers. Out of all the trucks you've mentioned a Star 266 is going to be by far the smallast, most modern, comfortable and drivable. They were a legitimately modern truck for their time and had a much more western-like design philosophy overall, so will lack a lot of the harshness and physicality of soviet offerings. That said, they're still a 70s design, so they're not going to feel all that modern these days. Being a 6x6 with lockers they're obviously decently competent off-road, but probably not to a level of something like the KrAZ.

Here's a cool video from Poland's biggest offroading channel on them:

Brilliant! They’re very capable trucks!

I must admit, it’s the old Soviet stuff that really does it for me. The KrAZ is probably my favourite truck, and what I’d probably go for. Although the ultimate would be the MAZ 537 but it’s highly unlikely I’d ever be fortunate enough to have one. Or the space to keep and use one! I can dream I suppose.

35 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Had a play with the Volvo this afternoon. 

DSC_1280.thumb.JPG.4bb9a2aa8af7815993bff9b3f1d4383b.JPG

That's the front wheel lifted off the ground with the original hack on the original jacking point.  Old gal can't be too rotten - that's a heavy old lump of engine in there. 

Both the x1/9 and Mercedes have a similar jack mechanism. It looks lethal to me and I’ve not used the jacks but use my hydraulic jacks instead.

47 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

Brilliant! They’re very capable trucks!

I must admit, it’s the old Soviet stuff that really does it for me. The KrAZ is probably my favourite truck, and what I’d probably go for. Although the ultimate would be the MAZ 537 but it’s highly unlikely I’d ever be fortunate enough to have one. Or the space to keep and use one! I can dream I suppose.

Unfortunately, I don't think Poland is the best place to look for soviet trucks. I don't believe there are that many of them here, although you should probably listen to someone better informed that I am. ;)

I want a new car. I don't 'need' a new car, I just want one. I'm bored now with this one. But, I want a four door, V8, convertible that I can get in and out of without looking like the cripple I am, I can get the dogs in easily so not too tall for them, or for me to lift them but tall enough for me to fall into without effort. So I need a Range Rover at the front and a Micra at the back. Anyone know of a good 'cut and shut' merchant?

Last week the Mazda was in for a service and parked next to it was a 2CV van. I gather it was a conversion using a plastic body. I could easily put one of theses on my bucket list, so are they a realistic non DIY prospect (health rules out heavy lifting for the time being) or is it best to look for the real thing?