The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

4 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Had the 2cv battery on charge for 24 hours, refitted and it started right up. Great. But the radio no longer works. It’s got a permanent 12v direct from battery ( and tested at the battery plug) and the switchable 12v with ignition is ok too. Just a dead radio. I’ve tried pressing the reset button and holding down the power button but nothing.

could a very low battery kill it? 

Its a jvc kid-r521.

Is there a fuse in the back of the radio? You may have just spiked something. I wouldn't have thought a low battery would kill it.

5 minutes ago, paulplom said:

Is there a fuse in the back of the radio? You may have just spiked something. I wouldn't have thought a low battery would kill it.

Yes, a tiny blade 10 amp. It’s intact and I get continuity across it. It’s a puzzle certainly.

So Mrs BMH booked us Sunday lunch at our local in Torbay for 4pm. We set off in plenty of time (10am), but sadly there's been a complete shit cart on the M5. We ended up traveling through middle England and the Cotswolds to avoid it and just made it time wise.

The positive was that we managed to see what was clearly the pre WWII Bentley Owners Club Sunday lunchtime Pimm's meeting; a lot of BA's withdraw 747's awaiting their fate at the Cotswolds Airport; numerous classics being given a gentle run in.the countryside (couldn't they have just fooked off or at least driven at the speed limit for once); and there had clearly been an AC Cobra replica meet somewhere near Bristol, given the number of Invacars, sorry, Dax copies that were on the M5.

Garage phoned about the rear wheel bearings on the Capri. The parts that came from the factor are wrong. Damn. Annoyingly, I'm doing a 12-hour shift tomorrow so won't get a chance to pop in.

The Bluebird's electrics are playing up. The power windows, other than the drivers, have decided to stop working entirely now, which is rather sub-optimal in all honesty. Need to pore over the wiring diagrams to try and find out what's what. In the meantime, it's swapped with the Mondeo and is parked up in the garage. There's some plastic trim that has worn out fixing 'pegs' and keeps popping out, which I have bodged with sealant. Not ideal, but it's a relatively hidden repair and better than gaffer tape. The last tank of fuel averaged 22mpg... yikes.

Mondeo sounds much better after having a service, and most of the grotty bits at the back have been de-rusted and Waxoyled. 

2 hours ago, busmansholiday said:

We set off in plenty of time (10am), but sadly there's been a complete shit cart on the M5.

Was on the local news. Fiesta came off the M5 (drink and drugs - has been arrested). Lorry driver pulled over to give assistance and blocked the lane with his lorry. Another lorry went into the back of that lorry killing that driver. 

Sounds like a right mess. 

M4 was closed in both directions between Swindon and Hungerford junctions due to roadworks. Made it a right nightmare when we were going to Newbury today. 

2 hours ago, busmansholiday said:

So Mrs BMH booked us Sunday lunch at our local in Torbay for 4pm. We set off in plenty of time (10am), but sadly there's been a complete shit cart on the M5. We ended up traveling through middle England and the Cotswolds to avoid it and just made it time wise.

The positive was that we managed to see what was clearly the pre WWII Bentley Owners Club Sunday lunchtime Pimm's meeting; a lot of BA's withdraw 747's awaiting their fate at the Cotswolds Airport; numerous classics being given a gentle run in.the countryside (couldn't they have just fooked off or at least driven at the speed limit for once); and there had clearly been an AC Cobra replica meet somewhere near Bristol, given the number of Invacars, sorry, Dax copies that were on the M5.

Uh, when you say local...?

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

Summer.  As you can see we're doing this properly.

IMG_20200914_143938.thumb.jpg.1eb42318ff376427ced008a00f169fb7.jpg

If it sounds loud the air filter has made a break for freedom (again ) you need go to screw it back so that the filter is flush with the housing.

I had the 2cv out on Sunday with the roof off too! Can’t be bettered for slow fun.

1 hour ago, richardmorris said:

If it sounds loud the air filter has made a break for freedom (again ) you need go to screw it back so that the filter is flush with the housing.

I had the 2cv out on Sunday with the roof off too! Can’t be bettered for slow fun.

Noted. I'll check that in the morning before she goes anywhere else.

A new pair of Falkens for the Audi and a puncture repair on the back left. The fronts were badly perished so had to go.

Surprisingly it was the young team at the tyre place that took an interest in it, the manager who looked about 35 didn't have even a clue what it was. "An A80?? as he unsuccessfully stabbed at his computer keyboard trying to find the wheel bolt torque settings.

I was a bit miffed on several counts because the tyre shop were moaning that the wheel bolts were way overtightened.  The garage that carried out the MOT in February and had replaced the ball joints and back brakes had tightened them up to 200nm when they are only supposed to be 125. But the tyre place only had a battery impact gun and a socket with a bar, the kind which any Tom, Dick or Harry has in their toolbox. They looked a bit inadequate for the job to be honest. They said if their tools broke that they would have to charge me for them.

I never mentioned that they probably needed a solid wheel key and extension tube and that I could remove wheel nuts as a 15 year old skinflint from a 40 ton lorry.

It is a good wee place though and they always fit you in and are reasonably priced.

Anyway, all wheel nuts are now at the correct torque and tyres are round, black and hold air.

IMG_20200914_161912.thumb.jpg.3ac46a3762fccc152c6f56895882de94.jpg

IMG_20200914_161921.thumb.jpg.d0205f23382a4a680b56c6f407f4d9d5.jpg

I'm also toying with the idea of selling the Corsa again. I had a Clio 172 before they got expensive and now's the time to do the same with a Mini Cooper S R53.

I'd need to get a proper MOT on it first and not a Boris like it currently has. I'd also need to get another set of cheaper wheels as the white Speedlines on it are worth possibly double the value of the car and would be sold separately. I've had offers to buy it over the years but all from Vauxhall-ey people I know of and frankly dislike. So that'll probably all never happen!

IMG_20200806_183351.thumb.jpg.f1f93cdbc3639b173b18e6f62b287217.jpg

12 minutes ago, Mally said:

I never* used that sort of thing as a pro forma invoice in an accident claim, when someone ran into the back of my caravan.

Some headed note paper with the details from Ruffgeezer's dealer sticker would be good for that. :D 

21 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Yep...that would explain why she's louder than I remembered...

IMG_20200915_143049.thumb.jpg.b7a3cc154ec383880eaa61280b15a871.jpg

Missing screw replaced, larger washers fitted all round and a bigger screw fitted to the one hole that was stripped out so wouldn't let the screw tighten up.

IMG_20200915_143641.thumb.jpg.c41c90b70a5b60169e18f768eefbe3d0.jpg

Still present, correct and secure after a run out.  Definitely a fair bit quieter!

Ah, but Citroen. I'm having bother with mine. Having scraped the GSA along a door, I've now been informed that it looks like the big ends are knocking on the 2CV. That's the engine I hastily assembled the day before setting off for Croatia last year. Annoyingly, Sparrow Automotive had just fixed an oil cooler leak (which he had to do because oil was getting on the brakes and making things 'interesting') and discovered the knock on a subsequent test drive. I have been hearing an odd vibration at speed, which I guess is related. Thought the tap I could hear was iffy valve clearances or piston slap. 

All the more annoying because the engine rebuild to 652cc began because of a previous oil cooler leak! That engine then ripped out a cylinder head stud, which is why I swapped the 652 kit to an entirely unknown engine I found at the back of my garage. As it happens, I have a complete engine stripped down, so may well find myself building up yet another engine. Which is annoying, as it pushes everything else down the priority list.

On the other hand, this was the drive to England yesterday.

Eh4pfSLXgAcUMw6?format=jpg&name=large

And this was the drive home a bit later.

Eh4prOSWoAMfrwZ?format=jpg&name=small

The red one is Pete's own car, built with a tweaked 720cc engine with 123 electronic ignition which is not only controlled by BlueTooth, but has vacuum advance too. The difference from my 652 is utterly remarkable! It flies, but is oh so tractable too. I'd sign up for a 720, but the cost of admission is about £2500-3000 once the hotted-up cam is fitted, the heads ported and the carburettor tweaked. 

I can't help wondering if I should have just rebuilt the engine with standard 602 pistons and barrels and maybe none of these issues would have happened. But then I do like the extra grunt of 652, even if it's some way from 720.

GSA mess

Any chance the engine conversion has caused the big ends to wear?  As for the 720, I am happy with the standard 2cv performance. A £3000 bill on top of the cost of a nice car is not what I think sensible- I had no idea it cost so much!. I have a sportscar for that sort of thing.

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Yep...that would explain why she's louder than I remembered...

IMG_20200915_143049.thumb.jpg.b7a3cc154ec383880eaa61280b15a871.jpg

Missing screw replaced, larger washers fitted all round and a bigger screw fitted to the one hole that was stripped out so wouldn't let the screw tighten up.

IMG_20200915_143641.thumb.jpg.c41c90b70a5b60169e18f768eefbe3d0.jpg

Still present, correct and secure after a run out.  Definitely a fair bit quieter!

But I have a new one courtesy of Richardmorris.