The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I didn’t realise that Jonny Smith wasn’t doing much TV anymore; looks like the opportunities have dried up a bit - although it’s usually presented with a narrative of “Telly is dead - Youtube is the future”

I enjoyed the videos from the farm with the old heaps, but it was desperately missing some tv production and shine. There’s a really good thing waiting to happen there if they can get some proper investment and production. 

Richard Porter is brilliant; utterly wasted writing gags for Clarkson and co. I’d love to see more of him on screen. 

No reply from the recommenced dent removal guy regarding the mercedes’s deer troubled door, so I’ve just emailed the body shop. However it’s been my daily car for eight years now and I’m getting restless thoughts. Oh, and just paid for 12 months VED for it too. £265 now.

Today I travelled to sunny Edmonton to collect the Rover 45 of Much Waftiness from AS legend purplebargeken. 

It was great to see Ken once more and meet Mrs PBK as well. The Rover is in impeccable condition for a 20 year old Longbridge product, Ken had described it perfectly and it was a pleasure to take ownership of this fine automobile which I shall really enjoy owning. It behaved itself perfectly, even through the horrendous Friday afternoon school run traffic in North London and the needle stayed slap bang in the middle of the temperature gauge the whole time. Very very comfortable and easy to drive. The CVT transmission is different to a normal auto but I’m used to it now.

Traditional handover shot:

EA2B6732-F57D-4C99-9EFC-F5A5435BE5C3.jpeg

8 minutes ago, volvov70 said:

Indeed, investigation of wiki leads me to understand that 1966 Morris Mini Coopers were all built in Longbridge. 

My bad

In my defence I bought and sold the car almost 40 years ago.

when it worked it was fun, mostly - like most’70’s shite it required weekly fettling to keep the fear at bay.

My dad had a 1959 Morris mini 850 deluxe 

3 gearboxes under warranty and leaks through the floor. 

The BINI really is the spiritual successor to the original. 

As mentioned elsewhere, I've been growing tired of my stereo lighting up like a cheap disco:

20200306_202935.thumb.jpg.3f7b6a081c7b4739543b1d81e757f223.jpg

So I took to eBay and exchanged twenty-five of my hard earned GBP for a somewhat nicer JVC:

20200306_204655.thumb.jpg.f29ed851015bae77286751d7a5caba78.jpg

It even has tilt adjustment on the face!*

20200306_204701.thumb.jpg.7a6374e7e4c8f25b61f85787d5a9bc5c.jpg

It sounds absolutely fantastic compared to the one that the previous owner fitted, which I'm fairly sure was the cheapest new CD unit on eBay. There's a DAB add on box available but the cheapest I can find one at the moment is £50, which is a bit much for something I would likely use once and never again. I did buy a £10 Bluetooth box that I can plug into the aux on the back but I likely won't even use that much. MP3 CDs are where its at.

*I think a belt is slipping because it needs a helping hand else it makes concerning noises and throws an error code.

Today I gave the C30 a damn good clean and swapped the tyres front to back. It has two Yokohama BluEarths and two Aptany, all four are less than a year old. The Aptany were on the front.
The Aptany were way out of balance and the local tyre fitter told me both of the front wheels were buckled. Balancing them made no difference so I swapped the wheels back to front.
The rear wheels are still vibrating to fuck but with the Yokohamas on the front I have a shit ton more power (no grip on Aptany might have been messing with the stability control?), and much better handling.

Also, Concerto is gone. Good riddance. 93a03e345a7034cb57242a2dcf01370b.jpg76a172ae2fc4f9b6fc2c79e4fc6bdfc7.jpg5168ddedb37b8b6ffae27b85b6d48ec7.jpg6d57925db06b89a6243c4910cc8fcfb1.jpg

Rear light has arrived for the 944.

IMG_20200306_223724.thumb.jpg.3f9907882cda068d9ef2dfe7097a225e.jpg

Quite pleased with it. All the ones I could find were either £150 or more fucked than the one I was replacing but managed to get this one off a lad on Ebay for £50 and its in great condition.

The sticky shits even been taken off the back. 

With any luck there won't be another storm this weekend so I can actually fit the fucking thing. 

Nothing of consequence to add except having a hatch has been very useful for clearing out the wife’s old house as it’s up for sale.

Also, French V6 power with a slightly blowy exhaust sounds lovely and is disgustingly addictive fun to floor it. I think I like it even more than the ‘Parp-Boom-Wallop’ hilarity of the Volvo 5 pot turbo.

Finally got my pile of poo RRC into my workshop. With all the crap I’ve had to deal with over the last couple of months, tomorrow will be the first day I’ll actually get time to go in and do some tidying up. Tea and shite talk is on the menu for the day. Everything else can fuck the fuck off thank you very much. 

CFD 

A9D07CB7-F359-48AA-A6CF-0DD1B368C61B.jpeg

A few recent pics from Down Under. Heading back to the UK next week to see if my cars have been washed away.

ESITmS7UUAAO4nL?format=jpg&name=small

ER_jZvxVUAEXXUF?format=jpg&name=small

I'm currently bombing around in this borrowed Holden Ute VU, with the Buick V6 engine and slushbox. Here it is parked in the 'Competition' section of the All-Holden meet pictured above. It didn't win.

ER-yRwSUEAAiVzo?format=jpg&name=small

Bus shite.

ESfCcRcUYAA_etG?format=jpg&name=small

Tram shite, with bonus Holden Calais. I wonder why Ford didn't reply with a Ford Dover, or Skegness or something?

ESfCnj-UUAAo5W6?format=jpg&name=small

Final one. Smiley but sad Transit.

ESfVanAU4AArHnu?format=jpg&name=small 

Dragged this out of hibernation today to make way in the garage for the Clio. Started right up. Still pissing oil out from somewhere, I think its the rocker cover gasket. I have a new one in the loft.

So, situation normal. MOT is in a couple of months, could probably do with 2 new bottom arms as they are rusty and a small patch on the strut tower.

Now that it is out I'll probably have it done.

20200307_093239.jpg

I have not used the Mx5 for a few weeks, I  just tried to start it. It turned over a couple of times and did a big backfire. It did turn over a few times after that, but the battery then died. I will put it on charge, if I can remember where the charger is. It's a good job I wasn't actually needing to go anywhere in it