The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

As I still have the Porsche, I need to go about fixing it. 

First off is that leak in the boot. 

Its coming through the light. 

IMG_20191221_143320.thumb.jpg.7553107040f7d8caba43a787934a3ee9.jpg

One of the captive bolts was spinning and I spent ages trying to get the nut off. I eventually realised that the reason it was spinning was it was no longer attached to the light and the light just pulled off..... It was quite easy to sort the bolt after that. 

Started removing all the horrible tar stuff but its all gone a bit icky here:

IMG_20191221_145035.thumb.jpg.68cf071f1b7616fd7694d14ae048ff47.jpg

It was like that that when I got it, its one of the (many) things I've never got round to looking at.

I've cleaned it up, sanded it down and whacked some Bilt Hammer shizzle on it but need some matching paint made up before I can lob the light back in with some new sealant. 

So for now I've just whacked a cat piss tarp over it until I get some. 

IMG_20191221_161315.thumb.jpg.b4d13f53f8f3a02e8b626ec227bc807b.jpg

More hair-tearing with the 214 - fully charged battery. Bit reluctant to start then roared* into life.

Left it ticking over for 15 minutes or so (up to temp)....then it died. And wouldn't re-start. Fuel pump is priming okay so not that.

I'd checked the coil again before plumbing the new battery in, but all was good, but reconnected the wires to be on the safe side.

I do now have a NOS crankshaft position sensor to try, so will give that a go tomorrow. Still need to sort out the tyre with a screw in it, but has an iffy spare on for now.

Streetwise battery has also died through lack of use, so it's recharge city here at Clayts central right now, dagnabbit

3fccc791c8e00438069bf17c050f8ae0.jpg

My old man has given me a front strut and spring for the filthy passat - they have never been fitted, he did one side and then his passat repaid him by shitting it's gearbox. I need to do some detective work to make sure I get the corresponding parts - the spring is for a sport and ours is a highline.

Today I have mostly been flying this.

MAMZ-1024x723.thumb.jpg.26216ed91a3004d15182858026d86cfb.jpg

40th birthday present from my parents which I haven't got round to taking until now for various reasons.  It was enormous fun - really nice day for it, not too windy or bumpy.  Much smaller than anything I've flown in before (it's actually a microlight, although very much at the posh end of the scale) so it gets blown about a bit and the controls are very sensitive, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The airfield was actually in Suffolk but as my parents had forked out for the maximum 90-minute flight length we were able to fly up the Norfolk coast, then over my house and over the centre of Norwich, and back down over the Lotus plant at Hethel.  The seat wasn't the most comfortable and my arse was getting a bit numb towards the end of the hour and a half, but that was the only fly in the ointment.  I just wish I was a bit* richer so I could buy one myself.

Also I got a pair of tyres fitted to the back of the Alfa, so that's now nice and legal again.  I took it down to Suffolk to give it a bit of a run, and the EML came on on the way back - plugged the computer in and it came up with a fault code to do with the DPF, unsurprisingly.  Cleared the code and the light went out.  It didn't seem to actually affect the running at all, but I'd rather not have any unnecessary lights on the dash.  I still haven't 100% decided whether I'm going to drive it down to Somerset over Christmas or play it safe and take the 75.

On 12/19/2019 at 7:41 PM, brownnova said:

So... Mrs_brownnova and I are having a baby!! 

Couple of zip ties and this is pretty much as good as isofix right?

7199A3A7-F204-40DD-AE69-D3CB292286FF.jpeg

Are you mad? 

Babies are massive. You need a fucking big 4x4 which is only FWD on PCP because crash safety and school runs. 

I wonder why I'm perpetually skint?

20191221_150948.thumb.jpg.729d783e49aea6396e605f2755c5d017.jpg

New front spring seats and strut top bearings, because the old ones are royally shagged.

New dust boots and bump stops as above.

New front shocks because they're on the way out and for the bit extra I'd rather not have it all apart again.

New rear shock top mounts because I think I popped one with a big pothole.

New aux belt idler/tensioner pulleys because it's screeching loud enough to wake the dead.

At least fitting it all will give me something to do.

I also have the crucial wastegate actuator from a 306 to modify the turbo on the pug, so as soon as it's less miserable outside I'll be able to get it back on its wheels. Then it's just coolant, air, magic pixies and an MOT. And an exhaust, but I'm trying not to think about that.

Bought a bankrupt stock ofo bike; when transport for the masses goes bad vol 2. Currently Somewhere between parliament square and buck house down a (surprisingly quiet) side street having a sarnie.

I see the department for transport is nearby so may make a small detour and make a token protest of some sort. Any suggestions ? (No I will not do a shit on their main entrance)

image.thumb.jpg.d5acc6922781c96bcb8cb0b93091e8c1.jpg

Swapped out the crankshaft position sensor on the 214 - seems to have stopped with the stalling for no reason after 15 mins-then-refusing to restart bullshit, so I call that cured*

Still runs like a bag of nails, obviously, but one thing at a time, eh ?

Decided I CBA getting down and dirty with the 420 cat converter swap out so have left that till next week, when I have some time off work.

Similarly, couldn't even be arsed to swap batteries on the Streetshite - no point, as I won't get to do the coolant refresh/rad house swap until....next week.

Always put off till next week what you can do today. Knowing my luck it'll piss down with rain for 40 days and 40 nights now.

Was arsed to give the 620 a clean as I got it a bit dirty on its trip over to Rimmers yesterday. This may soon become my work car as I've applied for a new job, which if I'm successful gets me out of the office and on the road in the E Mids, Cambridgeshire, Northants and bits of Herts.

3 hours ago, HMC said:

Bought a bankrupt stock ofo bike; when transport for the masses goes bad vol 2. Currently Somewhere between parliament square and buck house down a (surprisingly quiet) side street having a sarnie.

I see the department for transport is nearby so may make a small detour and make a token protest of some sort. Any suggestions ? (No I will not do a shit on their main entrance)

image.thumb.jpg.d5acc6922781c96bcb8cb0b93091e8c1.jpg

so pooping in the Ministry of Transports letter box is a no-go either? shame.......

6 hours ago, HMC said:

YUM indeed. This area is POSH 

Belgravia maybe? I’m lost.

ECDF8664-7642-4A6B-8EB9-778B41DEBF61.thumb.jpeg.76946f969314741feaabf2d80febb7da.jpeg

18B4DDE4-34ED-45BD-9189-679915F5CFB6.thumb.jpeg.fdecd1b551efc2af24a2f9cf752b73fd.jpeg

The great thing is it’s got little parking knocks etc on it so it’s used regularly and properly. 1119/10 rich person.

If you have the money to, why the fuck not rock around in an old roller. Proper kudos to that owner. Much more class than a modern Range Rover. Probably more reliable and of course no ULEZ likely makes it cheaper to use than one too. 

12 hours ago, HMC said:

Ealing seems to have a lot of maseratis , Toyota carina Es and now 2 hyacinth blue sprinter camper thingies

EE69F4CF-8ED5-442A-BC5D-E45CD28D1931.jpeg

Ealing is stuffed with wealthy people. And the properties and cars to match.

Going up the inside lane of the M1 Northbound yesterday, after Jcn.8 for Hemel, some eejit in a 1-Series ragtop decided to sound his horn at me as he went past. Wasn't one of yis now, was it?