The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Just picked this up. Same owner since 2002. It's done 105k, and the 2.4 10V engine sounds good. No odd noises from there at least, and by gum it shifts. Oddly low revving at 70. 

Plenty of niggles being an Alfa, and of course they are suspension related, and I think a wheel bearing is going bad. The handling is still very good, so it's not all bad. Thermostat not working properly though, as it runs far too cool. 

Could be a lot worse mind you. 

The seller was Italian too. 

IMG_20191127_210710.jpg

1 minute ago, High Jetter said:

No disrepect to CJ or you memories, but his passing was only announced today - are you sure it was his funeral?

He died on Sunday last, but his death was only announced today. It meant that his arrangements to be disposed of efficiently could be carried out. 

7 hours ago, anonymous user said:

That does look nice, how much is that in real money? My house is full of random stuff that I wanted but didn't need, don't be concerned as long as that wasn't your eating money, although it's surprising how well you can survive on noodle sandwiches (for a short while)

All in it is about £100, which is the going rate for these phones when the turn up for sale (which is not often). I suppose it can be my Christmas present to myself this year, good thing I like noodle sandwiches!

6 hours ago, MarvinsMom said:

we had a phone like that growing up. 

well not quiet like that, as ours was beige, not chromed.

but it was phone just like that.....

That would be a Telecom Australia Model 802 “Colorfone” In either Light Ivory or Topaz Yellow, like the one at the top of this 70s brochure (Assuming you grew up in Australia, that is).

9B0687A1-030F-4789-A985-9FEADCEDE21C.thumb.jpeg.4fdf892b3a987cd0d7f83e984de6bfbd.jpeg

11 hours ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

All in it is about £100, which is the going rate for these phones when the turn up for sale (which is not often). I suppose it can be my Christmas present to myself this year, good thing I like noodle sandwiches!

That would be a Telecom Australia Model 802 “Colorfone” In either Light Ivory or Topaz Yellow, like the one at the top of this 70s brochure (Assuming you grew up in Australia, that is).

9B0687A1-030F-4789-A985-9FEADCEDE21C.thumb.jpeg.4fdf892b3a987cd0d7f83e984de6bfbd.jpeg

ours was rented off GPO telephones. as it was i think back in 1972 when my parents got it put in... they must have been buying telephones from the same place as the australians!

it was exactly the same as the one shown in the top picture, and it was tied to the wall with a big junction box thing with a big assed screw through the middle of it. 

that phone was still in our house when we moved out in 1993, my dad was far too tight to pay, "PAY" british telecom to come and change it!!

14 hours ago, bramz7 said:

Just picked this up. Same owner since 2002. It's done 105k, and the 2.4 10V engine sounds good. No odd noises from there at least, and by gum it shifts. Oddly low revving at 70. 

Plenty of niggles being an Alfa, and of course they are suspension related, and I think a wheel bearing is going bad. The handling is still very good, so it's not all bad. Thermostat not working properly though, as it runs far too cool. 

Could be a lot worse mind you. 

The seller was Italian too. 

IMG_20191127_210710.jpg

Have you still got your black 146? Nice fleet if so!!

17 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Today I found myself in the middle of a Funeral.

I was coming out of the Grand Arcade car park in Cambridge - swung left onto Trumpington Street and there was a hearse outside Pembroke College.  "Weird" I thought - the church is on the other side of the road, about 500 yards up.  

Notwithstanding, as the coffin was taken out of the hearse, I stopped the Avensis as awkwardly as I could to prevent any cyclists/mopeds/oncoming traffic from passing - turned down the radio, took off my hat and allowed the guys to do their job without fear of being run over.  Once they'd got out of the road, one smiled at me - and I was on my way.

It was only at 5pm this afternoon I realised who the deceased was.

Clive james

As a fellow of Cambridge, he was entitled to a funeral at the college.  

I'm only 36, but I loved CJ on the TV.  Not that many people are as honest and as straightforward as he was.  

When I mentioned the above anecdote to my lady wife, she finally confessed that her team at the hospice had been caring for him for quite some time now.  I, quite correctly, had no idea.

The most striking thing was the coffin.  Clive James was, professionally, a very succesful man.  He had a beautiful home and an even more beautiful family.  But it was a stark reminder that we all enter and exit this world in the same simple way.  His was a plain, unadorned vessel.

I don't need to further sharpen the point I'm making. 

Liked for your point not the fact CJ died

16 minutes ago, MarvinsMom said:

ours was rented off GPO telephones..... they must have been buying telephones from the same place as the australians!

They were designed and made in Australia, but also solely used in Australia. Assuming you grew up in the UK, it is probable that you had the similar looking GPO Type 746.

10 hours ago, MarvinsMom said:

ours was rented off GPO telephones. as it was i think back in 1972 when my parents got it put in... they must have been buying telephones from the same place as the australians!

it was exactly the same as the one shown in the top picture, and it was tied to the wall with a big junction box thing with a big assed screw through the middle of it. 

that phone was still in our house when we moved out in 1993, my dad was far too tight to pay, "PAY" british telecom to come and change it!!

The wiring to my phone master socket still goes through a junction box of exactly the same type, centre screw and all. When I moved in a few years ago I rang BT who asked if I knew who the previous tenant had service from, was there any branded equipment etc -when I said "GPO" they had never heard of them!

(The phone plugged into the line is a 706 type dial phone - dialling the numbers old style is a good calming mechanism before having to ring the gas board etc...)

Have a New Zealand splurge. Sorry I haven't been posting more, but I'm absolutely knackered.

Accidental time vortex near Lake Tekapo.

EKNaNmcU0AEwd6t?format=jpg&name=small

An absolutely amazing Ford Falcon ute.

EKNZcV2VAAARVPL?format=jpg&name=small

Yeah...

EKQcMrgUUAAWrw-?format=jpg&name=small

Oamaru is a proper Autoshite haven.

EKXOspGU0AAW2II?format=jpg&name=small

Decided new tyres might be an idea. Goodrides doing the job.

EKSCucdUUAEjJSo?format=jpg&name=small

I love this AU Ford Fairmont, so it deserved new boots.

EKQ961yU0AUsf3R?format=jpg&name=small

At the top of the Steepest Street 'in the world.' (in despite with Harlech)

EKalQ7dVAAAszW6?format=jpg&name=small

On a surprisingly long gravel road that weaved through a rainforest on the way to Invercargill. Proper Welsh weather.

EKbJWxlU8AMrjam?format=jpg&name=small

Bluff Point. You can drive no further south in New Zealand without the aid of a ferry.

EKgj_p5VUAAP2Oy?format=jpg&name=small

That was today. There have been many amazing museums, but tomorrow sees us start driving up the spectacular West side of NZ. Looking forward to it.

46 minutes ago, Aston Martin said:

I got home about 930pm. I left the house at 6am and a Panda Eleganza has appeared on the street outside next doors house... Don't think it's mine. ?

So you're saying that Fiat Pandas are more competent at multiplying than real pandas?

I have my eye on a car to replace the passat. However I do not fancy getting it then being stuck with the passat over xmas.

Our passat is in generally good nick - MOT till next July, everything works however the crunchy 3rd gear has made my mind up. Change up slowly and it is ok though.

Had to get the Goldwing out of the garage today and fire the chopper and the Lambretta up, so decided on a team photograph.

IMG_20191129_110534.thumb.jpg.d17e700d043cc145fb58757298280130.jpg

IMG_20191129_110454.thumb.jpg.6ecefee75c11274e15fd6d21677fcdfa.jpg

IMG_20191129_110503.thumb.jpg.8478f223ca7d46fc177f2d00452a7635.jpg

IMG_20191129_110516.thumb.jpg.a50968ac1b6b00990afb926cb44a84fe.jpg

Also fired the BMW up as hadn't even started it since it got here.

IMG_20191129_110731.thumb.jpg.fc23d7a38fd0456d1ffd5e08843186dd.jpg

IMG_20191129_110743.thumb.jpg.873f9f40a2055da54934006df1edca6f.jpg

IMG_20191129_110712.thumb.jpg.20a56156cb9a6488e2248825d2e5c96b.jpg