The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Service time

.image.thumb.jpeg.75b4864e5f97af7edc4c65affa5491b8.jpeg

Somewhere under that exhaust manifold is the oil filter. The heat shield has to come off first.image.thumb.jpeg.1656259b05272f3206eaafdbed215cbd.jpeg

It's only just possible to get the filter loose with the filter "socket" and THAT short extension. Once it's loose, then it's finger tips.

So cold engine only.image.thumb.jpeg.75cab61ccd1af2f0911f3cfff6621134.jpeg

Good old eBay is really coming up trumps at the minute, everything I order coming through in a day or so. I ordered some 'Black Leather Balm' yesterday and it arrived this morning! Tiny little tin though but enough to do the tiny bit of wear on the drivers seat bolster.

It's really good! Used about 1% on the entire bolster and it coloured all the wear perfectly.

So, bouyed by this success, I tried to get the interior lights to work. Pressing various switches gets lights to come on permanantly but no courtesy lights. So, Google to the rescue... but horrors of tales of modules in the boot having got wet and dying! Ah, that's the R170 not mine, mine apparently doesn't have this module. But it has a setting in the cars computer. Go and sort out how to get to that menu via the buttons on the steering wheel, finally get there and it's all set up and complete with a delay and every thing else it should be set at.

Bollox.

Ah, it should have a switch as well that turns the courtesy lights off completely. No, no it doesn't and that's also for a different model to mine.

Shit, shit and er, shit!

I carry on reading and find a site called 'SLK World' which is a forum for posh gits like me wiv SLKs (well, it would be really wouldn't it with a name like that?) and it appears that all the later cars (2004 onwards) have interior lights okay but they also have an 'ambiant light sensor' so if it's light outside the interior lights don't work! You can test this sensor by removing the interior mirror and doing loads of complex stuff with multi-meters etc or, and this is the option I am adopting, you can ewait until it gets dark and then see if the lights work.

I am sure you are all hanging on the edge of your seats for the outcome of this serious problem... I will report back. Maybe, if I remember or if there's still a problem.

Good old eBay is really coming up trumps at the minute, everything I order coming through in a day or so. I ordered some 'Black Leather Balm' yesterday and it arrived this morning! Tiny little tin though but enough to do the tiny bit of wear on the drivers seat bolster.
It's really good! Used about 1% on the entire bolster and it coloured all the wear perfectly.
So, bouyed by this success, I tried to get the interior lights to work. Pressing various switches gets lights to come on permanantly but no courtesy lights. So, Google to the rescue... but horrors of tales of modules in the boot having got wet and dying! Ah, that's the R170 not mine, mine apparently doesn't have this module. But it has a setting in the cars computer. Go and sort out how to get to that menu via the buttons on the steering wheel, finally get there and it's all set up and complete with a delay and every thing else it should be set at.
Bollox.
Ah, it should have a switch as well that turns the courtesy lights off completely. No, no it doesn't and that's also for a different model to mine.
Shit, shit and er, shit!
I carry on reading and find a site called 'SLK World' which is a forum for posh gits like me wiv SLKs (well, it would be really wouldn't it with a name like that?) and it appears that all the later cars (2004 onwards) have interior lights okay but they also have an 'ambiant light sensor' so if it's light outside the interior lights don't work! You can test this sensor by removing the interior mirror and doing loads of complex stuff with multi-meters etc or, and this is the option I am adopting, you can ewait until it gets dark and then see if the lights work.
I am sure you are all hanging on the edge of your seats for the outcome of this serious problem... I will report back. Maybe, if I remember or if there's still a problem.
Good sir, could you post a link to the leather balm? Sounds good stuff..

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

I genuinely wasn't sure if this was a grump or a grin so it goes here.

Changed this socket today (and a couple of others) to give us more convenient USB charging.

15f5d9f075dee2ebfca6734eec33f916.jpg

I know the colours of wiring have changed a few times down the years and I have seen every single variation today - this socket alone has red, brown, blue, black, green and stripy behind it.

24 minutes ago, SierraMikeHotel said:

I genuinely wasn't sure if this was a grump or a grin so it goes here.

Changed this socket today (and a couple of others) to give us more convenient USB charging.

15f5d9f075dee2ebfca6734eec33f916.jpg

I know the colours of wiring have changed a few times down the years and I have seen every single variation today - this socket alone has red, brown, blue, black, green and stripy behind it.

Could be worse, when I was 16 I helped a mate with a very second hand DT50, a previous owner had rewired it. Sadly he only had brown wire. That was sooooooo much fun to sort.

Remember how I thought my Clio suspension was nackered and making cracking sounds going over speedhumps? I also thought the car was lower as it was scraping over them when it didn't before.

I jacked it up to inspect the coilovers.

Both sides looked fine. Dry, nothing looked broken and not even particularly rusty.

20190823_160123.thumb.jpg.98ed270deb9f637e27385e1dc03cfb0a.jpg20190823_155625.thumb.jpg.3a9d09b8a4d41617f6943a0a32e0942b.jpg20190823_155552.thumb.jpg.9dd737b221fae88576a01dc0853b1519.jpg

Then I saw this.

20190823_160151.thumb.jpg.58b52d72f25e2339b7007a76d43d92e4.jpg20190823_160147.thumb.jpg.2670a5edac3333db67ad1c52821eeb5f.jpg

20190823_160255.thumb.jpg.6f4492ef8c93843b3f318d5e72863e59.jpg

20190823_160643.thumb.jpg.ec5635b8d30940dd893aad383d4c38ac.jpg

20190823_160703.thumb.jpg.eafd9eac2ef1e94097e2041448412bb5.jpg

That's what I call a cheap fix to what I thought was an expensive issue.

5 hours ago, EssDeeWon said:

Rover passed the MOT this morning not even an advisory this year !! 

I did ask about the slight oil leak, the tester said it was a little damp and ‘weepy’ under there but nothing drastic and not dripping so nothing for him to be concerned about. 

2F3A7211-8F47-4009-9B88-EF4308B5CA40.jpeg

Seeing this made me realise I haven't posted a photo of the latest resident here.  2.0v6 manual in Club SE spec (I think) recently bought by a friend, the paint is very faded (yes it really is primrose!).

475360292_Rover75.thumb.JPG.94b45d38030aa2331f7ff4c8781db2a8.JPG

19 hours ago, RobT said:

I do hope he'll be happy with it though, as he's a trusted shiter.  In other circumstances I would keep it, as it's rather lovely and the sort of car I would spend ages looking for (if I was a Clio perv).

Gutted to have missed this. I had an identical Mk1 Clio back in 2005.

Hopefully it’s BramBram who’s bought it and it’ll be up for sale for £87 by the end of the bonk holiday weekend.

EDIT: It’s an auto. 

Absolutely never. Ever. Not even if it was driven by Nicole herself, sans underwear. 

14 minutes ago, BeEP said:

Seeing this made me realise I haven't posted a photo of the latest resident here.  2.0v6 manual in Club SE spec (I think) recently bought by a friend, the paint is very faded (yes it really is primrose!).

475360292_Rover75.thumb.JPG.94b45d38030aa2331f7ff4c8781db2a8.JPG

Did they do those Union wheels at launch? I thought they came later on the Longbridge cars.

Either way, the launch colours are the best!

1 minute ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Did they do those Union wheels at launch? I thought they came later on the Longbridge cars.

Either way, the launch colours are the best!

I'm sure EssDeeWon will give you the definitive answer, but like you I think they only came on later cars so I assume the previous owner fitted them because he liked them.

1 hour ago, Tamworthbay said:

Could be worse, when I was 16 I helped a mate with a very second hand DT50, a previous owner had rewired it. Sadly he only had brown wire. That was sooooooo much fun to sort.

I was about to say, the last electrical thing I did was to change a two gang light switch on the hallway. The wires were red, red, red, red, red, red and red. 

(admittedly they still are) 

Entirely my fault. It's been sat around for about a month and the mmobiliser and the stereo do drain the battery. The usual way of telling it's got a low battery, i.e. slow churning when going for a start don't happen with it as it has a 'high torque stater motor' and they work right down to a point a normal starter would have just whimpered. It started fine yesterday and this morning but I really should have thought about it. So sorry Billy (Sir William) spoilt your frst nights fun.

:(