The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Determined to outdo Trigger, I have purchased a new vehicle on Facebook Marketplace this evening. Hopefully this one has a V5. Collection caper tomorrow. Won't be live because I'm hopeless with technology. It will be epically shite though and also from Birmingham originally.

1 minute ago, egg said:

I'll swing by at the weekend, it's dearer online.

Offer be in the Industrial hub area known as the North Farm industrial estate in Tunbridge Wells if you're willing to go this far. Then again, for £12 or £14 (small print on their horrible posters) it's probably worth the trouble.

14 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Determined to outdo Trigger, I have purchased a new vehicle on Facebook Marketplace this evening. Hopefully this one has a V5. Collection caper tomorrow. Won't be live because I'm hopeless with technology. It will be epically shite though and also from Birmingham originally.

I thought you were not buying any more vehicles before your trip to NZ?

10 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I'd be extremely cautious about this. Yes sometimes means no.

Well, I’ve just invested £12 in an Advance Single ticket so there’s no turning back now, surely she’d rather I bought a valuable asset* than cancel that £12 for no refund ?

One out, one in.

71f463239b6afa2044100d1157372390.jpg

aa10afba7635e5c0daeabd2c9af68e26.jpg

f1d9573864f765ca4412ed8bd840f757.jpg

Gone to bed for now!

0c494d8fdc4c540197ce04411cec70a1.jpg

This new storage has been a godsend to have. Not far from where we want to move to either.

Plan is to use the Boxster for the rest of the month, stop the tax and put it in storage till Spring next year. In Spring it'll come back out and have all the small niggly issues fixed. Also will likely treat it to a proper professional detail and getting it super shiny again, like @Peter C did with it before I bought it. It's still shiny but it won't stay like forever unless it gets polished and waxed.

MGB will be used for the rest of September - unless weather really turns bad suddenly. Will be MOT'd mid Sept and I'm hoping/planning it won't need anything! Then it will be put in storage with the Boxster.

This should keep the worse of the winter elements off the two cars and keep them looking nice. Especially the Boxster.

Dolly is going to stay outside on the drive at home for now. This will allow me to continue working on it and get it sorted over the next few months. Hopefully before winter really sets in, we should finally move. Then it should go into the attached garage on the house, so I can work on it inside. 

This is the master plan if stuff doesn't get cocked up again!

11 minutes ago, cort16 said:

Are you going to run the gooner as your WBOD?

That's the plan.

If/when we move house, it's likely I will primarily be driving in to work. So it'll be used for that as its main purpose on the fleet. Being already battle scared, I will be less worried about parking it in a central Bristol NCP. 

Also will be used for short/local runs. Keep the miles off the A4. Especially as my wife uses it to commute to work. These short and slow 3-4mile journeys it is doing will not be good for the A4, not least as it's a DPF equipped diesel. Loading and shortening the life of that DPF more than is necessary. 

As posted about last week, I collected the Mk1 Clio yesterday.

20190821_111041.thumb.jpg.9e04fc91023f7c5a7255c6d0803f820f.jpg

It's running rough, and the seller just wanted rid as he couldn't find the cause.  Was driving him bonkers and it wasn't far off from being scrapped, so I had to save it.  33k and very tidy, so there's plenty of life left.

Lovely interior with the early seats and non-PAS steering wheel.

20190821_112510.thumb.jpg.90c85bfa03e5375608e1d8b8576e4901.jpg

Signs of gifferdom

20190821_112529.thumb.jpg.8922ff53f542dd2895d96bfcabc9a534.jpg

I drove it home on a pre-booked and tried to fix it before the test.  I actually made it worse (no surprise there) so the test had to be aborted.  Only after cocking things up did I try WD40 on the inlet manifold, and I think a leak from the gasket is causing rough running as the WD levelled things off briefly.

Either way I've palmed it off on another poor sod (a fellow shiteist) as I don't need another project.  My goal was to just ensure it survived.  With regular maintenance it must have years left in it, unlike the early 2000s toss that Renault (and others) were knocking out.

Saying that, a Laguna II is still on the To Do list. Preferably a V6.

24 minutes ago, BL Bloke said:

I'm off on a train to Marylebone tomorrow to collect a smoll French car. No live collection because my phone is very low tech. ?

48602862711_39d80931b9_c.jpgDSCF0426 by timothy jones, on Flickr

I think I know what it is.

If it is that, well done on saving it from near oblivion.

Nice purchase too Rob; you are on a roll at the moment with the Senator and Clio in short succession (can understand the need to slim down numbers though).