The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Turns out the dampers the chap was selling dont fit mine, I assumed he would already have known that! Anyway back on the hunt for them, obviously there are 6 different kinds and the ones I need are the hardest to find. Ho hum!

I also got another knockback yesterday for the 6th job I had applied for internally. However I also signed my new contract yesterday so I can now formally hand in my notice. I always hoped that I'd have the last laugh. I'm looking forward to having a conversation with my manager today about all that.

13 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

^ So anything goes then?!

They use alot of aerospace spec silkaset (probably) 

Slot of people in a thrust reverser factory in Burnley came from a coach builder, and reckon riveting carbon fibre to an aluminium structure is pretty much the same.  With more paper work.

On 8/17/2019 at 8:54 PM, trigger said:

I went and viewed a Scorpio that was for sale locally today, I did a silly and bought it! ?

Basically the elderly owner bought it in 1990 and parked it in the garage back in 2009, died and they haven't touched it since, it was covered in dust and leaves and it looks like mice may have took up residence but they were keen for it not to be scrapped or raced which in fairness would be criminal so we agreed on a price and now it's mine!

I think it has the potential to be a really nice car once I've worked my magic.

FB_IMG_1565710686458.thumb.jpg.0e8e4e42dabbc85506a384038c110e2c.jpg

IMG_20190817_180255.thumb.jpg.bf384c37ae9ceb47132692ea5d70df87.jpg

IMG_20190817_180159.thumb.jpg.160604640f090b39fa1b2d419aaf90f8.jpg

IMG_20190817_180220.thumb.jpg.d48ad0e1921fdfd034d2be4e8d26b965.jpg

IMG_20190817_180141.thumb.jpg.b8b1df9dbbace1c8d07c905257c069c0.jpg

ooo Birminghamshire reggo- Bristol Street Motors or Meteor Ford?

37 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

Leg number one, poor thing having to suffer the embarrassment of being seen on that...

IMG_20190821_122428.thumb.jpg.0595bdce5bb888092f166adc9d1a4797.jpg

I know its been said before but;

20p stuck in the handbrake? ?

I'll explain what this means for any confused shiters;

Some years back, there was a legend of an eBay advert that featured a White Peugeot 405 saloon (identical to the above) where the increasingly frustrated and desperate owner was getting frustrated at the amount of eBay 'watchers' but no bidders, the advert was relisted and the sellers frustration showed more and more each time it was relisted. A load of shiters here began 'watching' the advert too! One line in the advert always stated that there 20p stuck in the handbrake which has obviously passed into Autoshite legend. I vaguely remember the desperation of selling the car as it was stuck in his grandmothers' garage/driveway or something....

Starlet gone, Exploder going. New daily required then. 

I'm in Northumberland just now on holiday, which was decided on last minute by me and the good lady. 

I remembered I had a potential victim in this area in my watch list so headed along this morning for a look.

Usual thing for me, it's broken but I like them and it'll make a decent daily. Bit modern this one for me.

Here's the symptoms

It's fucked

It gets delivered tomorrow.

16 minutes ago, dome said:

Starlet gone, Exploder going. New daily required then. 

I'm in Northumberland just now on holiday, which was decided on last minute by me and the good lady. 

I remembered I had a potential victim in this area in my watch list so headed along this morning for a look.

Usual thing for me, it's broken but I like them and it'll make a decent daily. Bit modern this one for me.

Here's the symptoms

It's fucked

It gets delivered tomorrow.

Needs a new breather by any chance?

Went to look at a Xsara Picasso in highly desirable 1.6 form today. Drove ok, oil pissing out of the cam cover but offside rear brake didn't appear to do anything, the front washer actually operated the rear (as did the rear...) and then the owner didn't actually have the V5 and there was nothing to suggest it had ever actually been registered to them. Oh well.

Went to look at a Xsara Picasso in highly desirable 1.6 form today. Drove ok, oil pissing out of the cam cover but offside rear brake didn't appear to do anything, the front washer actually operated the rear (as did the rear...) and then the owner didn't actually have the V5 and there was nothing to suggest it had ever actually been registered to them. Oh well.
Lucky escape, and that's from a serial Citroen licker..

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, dozeydustman said:

Needs a new breather by any chance?

No such luck. No gases coming out of the exhaust so it's blocked and venting through the pcv system, most likely by a failed turbo.

Here it is in all its glory*

IMG_20190821_101333239_HDR.thumb.jpg.93545139f6e7094e006e96e97122fff9.jpg

A MK2 Octavia Scout so it's a 140pd engine. Handily* being 4x4 the propshaft is right in the way of dropping the turbo.

1 minute ago, dome said:

No such luck. No gases coming out of the exhaust so it's blocked and venting through the pcv system, most likely by a failed turbo.

Here it is in all its glory*

IMG_20190821_101333239_HDR.thumb.jpg.93545139f6e7094e006e96e97122fff9.jpg

A MK2 Octavia Scout so it's a 140pd engine. Handily* the 4x4 driveshaft is right in the way of dropping the turbo.

I'm impressed you got away with looking at a car while on holiday thats a strict no no in our household.

39 minutes ago, cort16 said:

I'm impressed you got away with looking at a car while on holiday thats a strict no no in our household.

Fraz of this parish and I had spotted this whilst sitting hungover on Sunday morning. Before my girlfriend and I had decided where we were going. When she suggested a place 20 minutes away I asked her very nicely if we could make a detour this morning on the way to Beamish...

I'd looked at another one in Glenrothes but it was the worst MK2 Octy I'd ever seen. This one at least has potential.

5 minutes ago, dome said:

Fraz of this parish and I had spotted this whilst sitting hungover on Sunday morning. Before my girlfriend and I had decided where we were going. When she suggested a place 20 minutes away I asked her very nicely if we could make a detour this morning on the way to Beamish...

I'd looked at another one in Glenrothes but it was the worst MK2 Octy I'd ever seen. This one at least has potential.

Beamish you say.Your only about 3 miles from me.

7 minutes ago, dome said:

Very understanding . Is it a 2.0 tdi scout 4x4 doo da?

16 minutes ago, JoeyEunos said:

Likewise, right on my doorstep too!

57 minutes ago, DVee8 said:

Beamish you say.Your only about 3 miles from me.

Nice part of the country and not far from Scotland. We're in an air BnB near Derwent Manor hotel. Very pleasant. Did Beamish today and will find somewhere to take the dog a walk tomorrow, maybe round the reservoir.