The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

3 hours ago, auld_ALS said:

Took the 172 out for a longish run to New Lanark today with my son, as my wife is working and we have no childcare due to my parents being on holiday.

The water levels were very low today and most of the available water was diverted to the Hydroelectric Powerstation with the remainder being directed down the culvert which operates the millwheels. I have been visiting here for 3 decades but I have never seen the construction of the weir which diverts the water to the mills. Check out the wooden batons, those must be original (1800s).

20190715_123707.jpg

20190715_125941.jpg

New Lanark is a great place - I used to do a nice trail run along the banks of the river, never saw the river in full flow though, I believe they do have “waterfall days” when they switch off the hydro and send the whole lot down the falls - must be quite spectacular :)

It's been a quiet few weeks since I picked up the Octavia, the first couple of hundred miles commuting have ticked by pretty effortlessly. Slightly (but not as much as I was maybe expecting) less brilliant on fuel economy than the Clio, but still perfectly acceptable. 

Getting used to just how grubby a white car can look after a day or two swatting insects up and down a dual carriageway. 

22 minutes ago, gm said:

New Lanark is a great place - I used to do a nice trail run along the banks of the river, never saw the river in full flow though, I believe they do have “waterfall days” when they switch off the hydro and send the whole lot down the falls - must be quite spectacular :)

I've been there on such days but really any day after there has been a lot of rain makes for an impressive sight and sound.

Interestingly, along at the Powerstation, they have polished up one of the old Frances turbines and put it on display. I'd love one in my garden.

3 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

VOLVO S70 V70 C70 96-99 PETROL

HAYNES BofL very very good condition coz its a volvo and is never needed! 

I will add this one to the hospice donation pot. 

Collection from Horsham or Field of Dreams 

15632163506262947464249311561171.jpg

May I bag that one for a donation to the hospice pot? Collection from the FoD this weekend would be ideal... many thanks!

7 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I was nearly late in to work today.  I was having a dream that I was at an AS-type gathering (although Vince Cable was there for some reason) and there was a lovely early Wartburg (312 I think) which everyone was having a go in.  Unfortunately my alarm clock went off before I had my turn, so I switched the alarm off and went back to sleep so I could get a go.  It was great fun - alarming levels of body roll and significant understeer in tight corners, but the sweetest column shift I've ever experienced - but that 5-minute test drive took up 30 minutes in real time so when I woke up again I had a proper rush on to get to work in time.

Try dreaming about a 311 next time, they handle better.

3 hours ago, Mrs6C said:

May I bag that one for a donation to the hospice pot? Collection from the FoD this weekend would be ideal... many thanks!

You certainly can Mrs6, all the more reason to get the Sigma through the Mot.... apparently later today hopefully or if the weather forecast is to be believed I might bring my 4x4 shed. 

How's the cider coming on? 

6 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

You certainly can Mrs6, all the more reason to get the Sigma through the Mot.... apparently later today hopefully or if the weather forecast is to be believed I might bring my 4x4 shed. 

How's the cider coming on? 

Thanks! :-)

The cider is comong on well. Last year's sunny summer will have raised the sugar content of the juice, so I'm anticipating a higher ABV with lots of flavour.

18 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

Not as a physical book, but I do have a scanned PDF of the Haynes 205 manual which I can e-mail you if required

If it's the same PDF that I have then it's of one of the later books, that for no particular reason removes a lot of useful information but leaves a fair bit of incorrect information. Still better than nothing though!

I got my copy from AbeBooks for all of £2.63, and the diesel supplement for £2. https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30314086931 it's this style cover you want, not the later one in colour.

1 minute ago, reb said:

If it's the same PDF that I have then it's of one of the later books, that for no particular reason removes a lot of useful information but leaves a fair bit of incorrect information. Still better than nothing though!

I got my copy from AbeBooks for all of £2.63, and the diesel supplement for £2. https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30314086931 it's this style cover you want, not the later one in colour.

My scan is probably the same as yours then Reb. The older Haynes books were so much better; went into much more detail

2 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

My scan is probably the same as yours then Reb. The older Haynes books were so much better; went into much more detail

That's why I've resolved to never have a car the old style isn't available for. The one I have for the 307 is like it was written from memory by someone who took one apart 6 months ago!

Yellow Jazz had a wash. I think these washes are going to become very frequent. Mainly because the flies like to shit all over it and the birds use it for target practise, more than our old red Jazz in fact. Oh well... at least it doesn't fade like the solid red ones do.

managed  to finally get Marvin out of the garage, and been using the car to go to work!

which has caused both comments and even some hilarity within the factory, cos most of them haven't seen a Metro, running wild and free in years....

good old marvin still looks good, well, from a few feet away.

391290415_2019-07-1621_05_13.thumb.jpg.c1ccdff332a05e0b447d3a347cfbf8d6.jpg

1033072904_2019-07-1621_06_05.thumb.jpg.f5b061ef19e516a0004fa0aca9f3ee9e.jpg

up close, there is plenty of issues on the car. the scuttle panel is the worse one, though the back valance and tail gate are pretty crap too.

1572097385_2019-07-1621_05_26.thumb.jpg.217bfa69b23915ce62351d7fc78165fa.jpg

1682012743_2019-07-1621_05_40.thumb.jpg.728e102d1002eca0668457337687aad0.jpg721043507_2019-07-1621_05_46.thumb.jpg.45890b170325544ff11b6b41e93d1767.jpg

1803766721_2019-07-1621_05_54.thumb.jpg.e88092846db33281ec5232b8ce97b16a.jpg

much of the body issues are i'm certain due to the respray i had done a few years back. to say it wasn't all i'd hoped it would be would be an understatement.

luckily i have a new scuttle panel, a choice of second hand tail gates and back panels in the spares stash. we don't have the closing panels that sit behind the back valance. marvins are about jiggered but when we get them done, just some bit of plain sheet steel will do. i also need to get the cars hydragas cans regassed  cos the he sits very low, especially at the front and the ride isn't all it could be. but i don't want to just put more fluid in, those though are jobs for another day. now i wanna use and enjoy marvin  a bit. 

i'm cross with myself for letting marvin get as bad as he is, but for a 30 year old Austin well i guess the car could be a whole lot worse!

EDIT - the pictures flatter it, those bits of the body do look much worse in real life!

Went to turn on the lights in the 172 this morning and apart from a few buttons in the centre console, none of the the instrument backlights are working. Checked the rheostat and that the lights were on.

The car has the auto lights function and I'm sure everything lit up when they came on in the garage the other day. I turned them on manually today, wonder if its something to do with that.

It isn't a non driving issue though so shall carry on!

Just now, auld_ALS said:

Went to turn on the lights in the 172 this morning and apart from a few buttons in the centre console, none of the the instrument backlights are working. Checked the rheostat and that the lights were on.

The car has the auto lights function and I'm sure everything lit up when they came on in the garage the other day. I turned them on manually today, wonder if its something to do with that.

It isn't a non driving issue though so shall carry on!

If you turn the lights on and off a couple of times in quick succession, it disables/enables the auto light function. Should give a beep when it does. 

19 minutes ago, SiC said:

If you turn the lights on and off a couple of times in quick succession, it disables/enables the auto light function. Should give a beep when it does. 

Yep I know, can't understand why the backlights aren't working, with the exception of 2 buttons in the middle of the dash.

10 hours ago, MarvinsMom said:

managed  to finally get Marvin out of the garage, and been using the car to go to work!

which has caused both comments and even some hilarity within the factory, cos most of them haven't seen a Metro, running wild and free in years....

good old marvin still looks good, well, from a few feet away.

391290415_2019-07-1621_05_13.thumb.jpg.c1ccdff332a05e0b447d3a347cfbf8d6.jpg

1033072904_2019-07-1621_06_05.thumb.jpg.f5b061ef19e516a0004fa0aca9f3ee9e.jpg

up close, there is plenty of issues on the car. the scuttle panel is the worse one, though the back valance and tail gate are pretty crap too.

1572097385_2019-07-1621_05_26.thumb.jpg.217bfa69b23915ce62351d7fc78165fa.jpg

1682012743_2019-07-1621_05_40.thumb.jpg.728e102d1002eca0668457337687aad0.jpg721043507_2019-07-1621_05_46.thumb.jpg.45890b170325544ff11b6b41e93d1767.jpg

1803766721_2019-07-1621_05_54.thumb.jpg.e88092846db33281ec5232b8ce97b16a.jpg

much of the body issues are i'm certain due to the respray i had done a few years back. to say it wasn't all i'd hoped it would be would be an understatement.

luckily i have a new scuttle panel, a choice of second hand tail gates and back panels in the spares stash. we don't have the closing panels that sit behind the back valance. marvins are about jiggered but when we get them done, just some bit of plain sheet steel will do. i also need to get the cars hydragas cans regassed  cos the he sits very low, especially at the front and the ride isn't all it could be. but i don't want to just put more fluid in, those though are jobs for another day. now i wanna use and enjoy marvin  a bit. 

i'm cross with myself for letting marvin get as bad as he is, but for a 30 year old Austin well i guess the car could be a whole lot worse!

EDIT - the pictures flatter it, those bits of the body do look much worse in real life!

What a cracking wee car, I would love a Metro but sadly the ship has sailed price-wise I think!

Indications suggest that in order to get a new job I will need to take a substantial pay cut, this therefore means that I will no longer be able to run 4 cars. The Corsa isn't eating a piece and can stand in the garage forever if necessary, but it would be a shame to see the others lay unused and deteriorating on the driveway.

Once I come back from holiday, either the 172 or the Audi will be up for sale, whichever I think will sell the quickest, may Roffle.

/\

In a similar-ish vein, I'm now down to just three cars. The Pumas have gone (one physically left, other being collected) which leaves the ML (probably going to advertise again) the Galaxy (keeper) and the Kia.

Just insured the Legacy for another 12months of trouble free motoring ( I hope),and due to EU interference the prices have gone up 25% to cover costs

We now have to sign a declaration to prove the broker has given back all our paperwork.......

Anyhow,12months insurance on the car,for any driver with my permission comes in at £120 of your English pounds.....

Whilst it is still a cheap place to live, the motoring side is starting to creep up in costs

A couple of times this year unleaded has hit £1 a litre and has sparked off a few protests

As the Rover 25 has failed he has asked me to keep an eye out for a replacement car for him with a vague £2k budget and similar to what he has just run for the last few years.... So recalling his car history of last 3 cars: Rover 25tds, Astra 1.7 diesel (ex hire car with 270k), Pug 306 1.8 16v.

And I fancy looking at this for him:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163704163176