The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Built in 1924 to an ex-Great Eastern Railway "L77" design, this one was the very last to be built at Stratford Works. It came out as LNER class N7 no.999E, later renumbered 7999, and then given a new boiler with a round-topped firebox, classified N7/4. Subsequently renumbered 9621 and after nationalisation, BR 69621. Withdrawn from service in 1962, it was bought direct from BR and is the sole survivor.

Somewhere in the shed is a box of bits that I have to build this engine, but life keeps on getting in the way.

I’m pretty sure ( given I last looked in the box in 1990) that I have a model in my trainset box.

I have some P38 newses: everything is fixed!!!!!!1!!111!!!!!!!

No, seriously. Vacuum hoses for the cruise control, driver's airbag, interior, driver's door window regulator, fuel filler button and sunroof drains have all been fixed. This means the car no longer beeps when the key is put in. One touch window opening now works, cruise control works. It's brilliant.

However I suspect everything will not be fixed in the coming weeks because: Hot weather requires A/C. System will not hold refrigerant. Yay. Hot weather also means the glue holding the headliner up is failing fast. The rear view mirror is still delaminating. The air compressor's labouring and there's exhaust blow etc. It also is leaking oil, however that is a feature courtesy of Rover to reassure the driver that there is oil in the engine!

As usual, nothing is ever fixed for long on a P38 Range Rover. Oh, it's MPG is worse than most 1950's American V8 cars.

2 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

I have some P38 newses: everything is fixed!!!!!!1!!111!!!!!!!

No, seriously. Vacuum hoses for the cruise control, driver's airbag, interior, driver's door window regulator, fuel filler button and sunroof drains have all been fixed. This means the car no longer beeps when the key is put in. One touch window opening now works, cruise control works. It's brilliant.

However I suspect everything will not be fixed in the coming weeks because: Hot weather requires A/C. System will not hold refrigerant. Yay. Hot weather also means the glue holding the headliner up is failing fast. The rear view mirror is still delaminating. The air compressor's labouring and there's exhaust blow etc. It also is leaking oil, however that is a feature courtesy of Rover to reassure the driver that there is oil in the engine!

As usual, nothing is ever fixed for long on a P38 Range Rover. Oh, it's MPG is worse than most 1950's American V8 cars.

As a fellow P38 owner I have learnt that you don't want to fix everything. Fixing one thing usually leads to cascade failure of another item, which leads to more beeps. Interestingly the air con on mine has been removed altogether!

4 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Where are the actual pistons on that 0-6-2 thing?  Is it mid-engined or summat?

Technically speaking, yes! But only in the sense that the two cylinders and their valves are a casting between the frames, directly underneath the smokebox (the bit with the chimney on it). The connecting rods drive a crank axle (middle driving wheels) and the valve gear is driven by eccentrics on the same axle.

944 now gone, not as much money as I paid for it but probably a lot less than it needs spending on it. I never really warmed to it and it aggravated my bad back.  Gone to a good home, serial old German car buyer, - 928, 500SL etc.

This leaves the fleet at a slightly more manageable 3.  - 2007 Mercedes E320cdi estate, 2000 BMW Z3 2.8 lifer and a dog dick red 1985 Lorinser Mercedes 500SEC. 

Have a goodbye pic.

1028541844_944006.thumb.JPG.624b1cb973bdd0dfe2c356bb508287ae.JPG

Today while the weather was nice I thought it would be a good time to repaint the roof of the car as it looked terrible condition as someone had hand painted it and the only original paint was lacquer peel and rust.

The local pound shop were doing tins of black enamel paint and so I bought a couple of cans and a pack of foam rollers and it’s transformed the car for a total cost of £3

D2FA60DE-4B40-41DF-B644-77624E2C89B1.jpeg

When the S90 is running it may be offered for swap, owning it and an 850 makes no logical sense. The 850 is better designed in every way - while nice to drive, especially with cruise, the S90 is less practical, doesn't feel as well put together, and . If it was an early 960 or a 740 saloon I'd want to keep it, but the S90 doesn't seem to suit me or my needs, and it barely fits on the drive. 

I quite like Volvo 240s...

Well what a bloody frustrating weekend that was.  Every time I tried to do anything on any of the fleet it started chucking it down with rain.  I did move the 164 out onto the road (first time it's been out of the garden in two years) but that was only so I could weed the drive.  Two attempts at doing the aircon belt on the 75 were thwarted by the weather, as were my efforts to remove the Renault 6's heater valve.  Also I've had bugger all energy all weekend, and have ended up taking a 2-hour nap in the afternoon both yesterday and today.

Still, at least my collection mission on Saturday was a success, so there's that.

I hear ya. The only good day was used to do the garden at the house thats up for sale. Every other day it poured down everytime I went outside. 

I still haven't done the wishbone on the Porsche. Its not going to get done in the next 3 weeks either as they are all full of weddings and birthdays, so I'm gonna bite the bullet and take it to a garage as the ball joint has started knocking now. 

Yo. Ain't slept for 24 hours, plus I'm fasting. Starting to feel sleepy now. Thankfully only an hour of work left. YAAAAAAWN 
Any allowances for being further North? Where I am you're talking sunset at around 9.45pm and sunrise just before 4.30am. 17hrs15min without food!

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

WHAT A LOAD OF OLD BOLLOCKS.

VB.thumb.png.ce28f34f4689a0efa119a8f8957a3489.png

World premiere of Valentino Balboni’s new exhaust

for the Lamborghini Aventador SVJ

Sant’Agata Bolognese, 28 May 2019 – In 2016, VB started its successful venture with its first achievement: an amazing titanium exhaust for the Lamborghini Aventador LP-750 SV, soon followed by an Aventador S series exhaust.

Today, after the internationally acclaimed first models, VB is proud to announce a staggering new exhaust for the Lamborghini Aventador SVJ, coupé and roadster.

VB has developed a state-of-the-art new exhaust with the aim at reaching a level of weight never seen before. Weighing an impressive total of just 8.8 lbs (4.66 Kg), crafted entirely in titanium, our SVJ exhaust allows a stunning overall 1% decrease in car-weight. Its design has been carefully engineered to create a perfect gas flow. Last but not least, its shapes embody the horns of the Raging Bull as further testimony of VB’s dedication to Lamborghini history.

Our SVJ exhaust will be produced in only 63 units worldwide. In addition, a distinctive Valentino’s signature edition of 15 units will be made.

The SVJ exhaust is proudly made in Italy and it is delivered in a highly exclusive flight case.

Valentino says: “This new VB exhaust is the best system that can possibly be manufactured for the extraordinary SVJ. It is symbiotic with the SVJ’s character. Our goal was to create an incredibly light exhaust to further enhance performance of this fantastic machine. As usual with VB, we also focused on setting free the melodies of the V12 engine, with no sound artifacts. It’s all about the purity of sound.” 

Always fun on Gumtree. I'm getting one of the single letter named responders send me messages RE: Xantia. First offer £350. I don't respond. Undeterred, he comes back 24 hours later with a new offer of £300. I wonder whether left to his/her own devices the offers will soon be into negative figures!

5 hours ago, 5speedracer said:

Any allowances for being further North? Where I am you're talking sunset at around 9.45pm and sunrise just before 4.30am. 17hrs15min without food!

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Lol, 'fraid not. I remember breaking fast up on Scotland a couple of years ago (in Motherwell of all places) it was pretty difficult I tells thee!

I'd not slept at all last night so it was the sleep rather than the fast getting to me. Had a couple of hours kip just now so all is well again. ?

After replacing the radiator on the 172, it still has a significant drinking problem as it's used around 1/2 a litre of coolant in 50 miles. No obvious leaks or signs of HGF and the latter was replaced 2 years ago. It seems an awful lot for just a leak though.

8 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

After replacing the radiator on the 172, it still has a significant drinking problem as it's used around 1/2 a litre of coolant in 50 miles. No obvious leaks or signs of HGF and the latter was replaced 2 years ago. It seems an awful lot for just a leak though.

Heater matrix ? Check your carpets !