The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

4 hours ago, reb said:

I just spent 2 hours drying off my socket set and cleaning it after it got completely filled with rainwater earlier.

I think this is the nicest it's looked since I got it nearly 3 years ago. Anyone who's ever seen the inside of my socket set or toolbox will attest to this. It was an excellent opportunity to take out the random shit that didn't really belong, like an almost complete set of drum disc hardware that's inexplicably been living in the case for months.

Is this next level sad? Or is it a weird Zen thing? I'm happy with both.

I quite enjoy cleaning out my socket set and toolbox, usually done for the same reasons you had to do yours. It's just nice to have everything exactly where it should be for the 17 seconds it stays that way before I'm just randomly throwing things in it again...

4 hours ago, reb said:

I just spent 2 hours drying off my socket set and cleaning it ...20190521_194546.thumb.jpg.1b4421344e83d0e1196aef72716a44b6.jpg.

Is this next level sad? Or is it a weird Zen thing? I'm happy with both.

I'd settle for being able to retrieve the three sockets that dropped into the CX's engine bay a couple of weeks ago and were swallowed by the offside inner wing.

14 hours ago, richardmorris said:

I have spent much of the day in the outer lanes of the m25 and m40 in the merc. I have no idea how people do this every day. It was if people had just watched a wacky races cartoon and thought that it was an educational video on driving. Dear god.

Nothing changes, 1979 into the 1980s I used to commute into London on the M40 in my Vitesse, only difference the modern cars around me were Mk4 Cortinas etc!

I couldn’t do it today and yesterday I had a few local errands so took the 2CV out in the sunshine.

IMG_20190521_105356 broad.jpg

52 minutes ago, stuboy said:

Hope thiScreenshot_20190522-082230_Twitter.thumb.jpg.08ebf366b9c4531b2f29e4a435ae30c0.jpgs wasnt a shiter who bumped into back of a unmarked plod wagon

An achievement to take up 4 spaces. Plod at their most arrogant? 

16 hours ago, richardmorris said:

I have spent much of the day in the outer lanes of the m25 and m40 in the merc. I have no idea how people do this every day. It was if people had just watched a wacky races cartoon and thought that it was an educational video on driving. Dear god.

Not so much Wacky Races as Fast 'n Furious or Grand Theft Auto.

Meanwhile, Monsieur Dubois at FCS is just after going all soggy with nostalgia at the prospect of trying to fit a new alternator to my CX....

IMG_20190522_100231.jpg

On 5/21/2019 at 7:07 AM, SiC said:

We don't all drive massive brand new German SUVs while shouting abuse out of the window at everyone and having the odd machine gun shoot down ya' know! Nor do we all chase back out Northerners with pitchforks. Well, some but not all. 

Plus side is the days are longer, nicer weather, just as nice scenery and earning far more. Because of this, more people want to be down here - thus making it busier!

SiC drives an Audi TDi and a Porsche, and works in IT. 

(he is nice though) 

7 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Not so much Wacky Races as Fast 'n Furious or Grand Theft Auto.

Meanwhile, Monsieur Dubois at FCS is just after going all soggy with nostalgia at the prospect of trying to fit a new alternator to my CX....

IMG_20190522_100231.jpg

Is that up by Tesco on Colney Hatch Lane? Look's oddly familiar...

The CamperVan now sounds more like Colin McRae’s rally car than a Campervan. The hole in the exhaust has got bigger and bigger... 

So I’ve bitten the bullet and ordered a new one off of Coastal a Motorhomes... it’s now in the trusted hands of my (very good but not very cheap) mechanic friend who will fit.

Hoping he doesn’t point out too many more faults.... 

2 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Next door to Tesco at Colney Hatch. Bus route 232 stops outside. Very convenient.

Ha, spent far far too long in Clown Town (stickiest floors in North London) and once shut the boot of our Ford Focus (containing my daughter, who was 2 at the time) locking the keys inside in the Tesco car park. Great* parenting.

As work is winding down I am just taking days off here and there, who cares if I owe them holidays and the end.

I took the Mrs out for a bimble in the Audi whilst the wee man was at school, top down and stopped for lunch at a bistro next to the Canal.

A really enjoyable day and the car went well of course.

4 minutes ago, brownnova said:

How often is it used? Chumley... any other times? 

Mainly for Chumley and Shitefest but it occasionally appears at shows in the North West. Most of them that we'd attend are having a year off though, Woodsmoor, that greet us with open arms, in particular.

17 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Mainly for Chumley and Shitefest but it occasionally appears at shows in the North West. Most of them that we'd attend are having a year off though, Woodsmoor, that greet us with open arms, in particular.

Sadly I’m not at Shitefest, but don’t mind taking it after that if no one else steps forward. 

Fair enough. I'm, not sure I will be either tbh, I'm sad to say, As much as I'd like to I'm not sure I can make ends meet with a new car on the way. 

Which is odd, as this time last year I bought a Rover from Bramz, and within a week it was at Shitefest in Aberdeen, and I'd not done a thing to it...

I only had the one car then, mind - not 3...

The cheque for the sale of the Rebel Van cleared and I dropped it off with the new owner today. He's still not told his children that he's bought it! I hope I'm still in a position to buy funky old cars for fun when I'm in my 80's!

Not sure how I feel about selling it really. I've had it a long time and done lots of amazing trips in it and its sad to think that thats over. On the other hand It wasnt getting used much, I'm trying to save for a deposit on a house so every scrap of cash is being put by for that. I also feel I'm spending too much time working on cars and not enough time driving them so maybe having one less for a while will be a good thing.

Its fairly local still so possibly I'll still keep tabs on it,  With the Rebel gone the Stright 6 Scimitar is looking a bit lonely! Maybe I should go and get ORJI out of hybernation just to keep it company!

IMG_5930.thumb.JPG.98d49cddfa51e9f6d84f4beece1602a1.JPG

This is a 'no news' report.  A few weeks ago I mentioned my intention to get the Reliant out of my garage, give it a checkover and see how best to fit an electric fuel pump which I bought years ago.  Well, I got close to doing something but was thwarted by a V70.  My son updated the sound system in his V70, replacing the multi CD/radio lump in the dashboard with a swish Pioneer unit with screen.  It looks and sounds very good.  A few days after buying and fitting an electronic module to enable the use of the standard steering wheel audio controls the battery went flat.  We recharged it and it was flat again the next morning.  He checked and rechecked the wiring and V70 set-up switch positions on the electronic module but battery flattening did not go away.  The remote control connections were thus disconnected to avoid an embarrassing fire and he is happy at the moment to control the audio system from the screen.  Unfortunately, the battery did not recover even after charging (10.7V).  By some fluke, I had had a battery of exactly the same size and similar rating in my garage for at least 10 years.  It actually had 1999 felt penned on it but I can't believe that it is that old or indeed remember which car it was removed from.  Anyway, this ancient battery which had been unattended for years was showing a healthy 12.5volts, so we put it in the V70 which fired up immediately.  Remarkable!  Even more remarkable is that it has not faltered for 2 weeks of occasional V70 use.  The Reliant 'no news' resulted from the old failed battery being plonked at the entrance to my garage, blocking the Reliant in.  I am an old cripple and cannot shift the battery - it has no handle.  When the stars line up again I'll get my son to shift it and will try again.