The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

18 hours ago, HMC said:

It’s so hard for me to treat what probably is an end of life vehicle as such.

Im browsing better sliding doors on e bay for the vito( the current door inner shells have rusted out completely on both sides and the panels flex when the runners slide past their detentes.)

Ive also been wire brushing and painting with zinga bits of surface grot on the underbody. STOP IT!!!

18 hours ago, Saabnut said:

I know the feeling. Found myself investigating how big a patch is required (about 5" x 3" is the answer) on the Honda. I am still going to bridge it at the end of the month unless someone on here decides they want it, but the guilt is starting already!

Me three.

The family Trajet is grotty, has developed an appetite for oil to the extent of putting out a constant trail of blue smoke; both inner and outer CV joints on BOTH sides make noises that just grow louder while turning; sills and lower rear coil spring mounts were welded last year to appease the MOT man, but need a looking still; right rear arch is gone; parking brake release has been bodged; tacho is dead; central locking is dead, etc. Car has done 280k km's and has zero value.

So I've done what any sane family man would do at this point, which is to order in new valve stem seals, have an assortment of inner and outer CV joints ready for swapping in (one doesn't have the ABS tone ring, though... I hope I can salvage one from the old CV joints if not rusted on permanently) and buy some wire for the welder, and sing praises of the wonderful usefulness of this not-so-modern and not-so-unforgettable korean minivanshite to the wife: "...it has seen our kids grow, it has taken us to the cabin and on trips, it hasn't left us stranded apart from maybe only a couple of times during the years... it'll fix up good still, I'm sure!"

Yeah.

And I just spotted one for sale for 390 euro, that appears to be in much better shape, has less mileage and even has the bigger V6 engine that suits it much better..

Just spent £10 on a litre of genuine Honda power steering fluid as the Prelude needed a tiny top up from min to max. No leaks, but I like things to be right. The rest will come in handy for the Accord after all. Just checked the Accord and couldn't find the power steering reservoir. Hmm.

Turns out it has electric power steering, never expected that. So 950 ml of Honda PSF left over then. Will come in handy one day....

2 hours ago, shoddybanger said:

"I have these questionable plans to keep a tired and hopeless minivan, that really just wants to get recycled already, on forced life support"

I have reflected on life and Trajet during past two hours and have perhaps drawn conclusions. So there is new news.

I ringed the person selling the 390 euro example. It has apparently only done 200k km, but has bad lacquer peel on bonnet and failed its latest MOT for a rusty front suspension arm. Should be reasonably ok otherwise.

A suspension arm swap sounds not too bad, but we shall see.. it might turn into a "no probs just swap the whole chassis m8", so I plan to go take a look at it in the upcoming days.

Ahhhh MOT achieved - no advisories.  Wasnae cheap in the end, and it’s still a rusty ole bag, but boy does it drive nicely with its new suspension components etc.  Also probably the only one of its age with a new and fully functioning handbrake!   Bristol plans for the weekend.  Also beer, sandpaper, primer, Titanite Red etc etc

I appear to have bought another car.  I'm actually quite excited about this one, 'cos I'm sad like that.  If everything goes to plan it will be transporting me to Shitefest, and will thus have rendered my efforts to get the Rover shipshape for the trip all in vain.  Ho hum.

It will also probably mean that the BMW will be up for sale soon.  Don't all rush at once.

I’m currently up shit creek. 

Well, Hereford actually. Had to nip up to Crewe then Shrewsbury today, then got told I had something I needed to take care of at home. Nailed myself to the last train that would take me (via 3 connections) home, only to get stuck at Craven Arms (2 out of 3 engines FTP’ing on the train) completely spannering the first (and tightest) connection. Got a vaguely half-arsed plan to try and buy a car to get home instead....

54 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I appear to have bought another car.  I'm actually quite excited about this one, 'cos I'm sad like that.  If everything goes to plan it will be transporting me to Shitefest, and will thus have rendered my efforts to get the Rover shipshape for the trip all in vain.  Ho hum.

It will also probably mean that the BMW will be up for sale soon.  Don't all rush at once.

Go on then, I'll voice an interest. I'm so predictable.

I have spent much of the day in the outer lanes of the m25 and m40 in the merc. I have no idea how people do this every day. It was if people had just watched a wacky races cartoon and thought that it was an educational video on driving. Dear god.

1 hour ago, 83C said:

Well, Hereford actually. Had to nip up to Crewe then Shrewsbury today, then got told I had something I needed to take care of at home. Nailed myself to the last train that would take me (via 3 connections) home, only to get stuck at Craven Arms (2 out of 3 engines FTP’ing on the train) completely spannering the first (and tightest) connection. Got a vaguely half-arsed plan to try and buy a car to get home instead....

Fingers crossed for you dude.

1 hour ago, 83C said:

Railways are shite shocker (especially in the countryside) 

I just spent 2 hours drying off my socket set and cleaning it after it got completely filled with rainwater earlier.

20190521_194546.thumb.jpg.1b4421344e83d0e1196aef72716a44b6.jpg

I think this is the nicest it's looked since I got it nearly 3 years ago. Anyone who's ever seen the inside of my socket set or toolbox will attest to this. It was an excellent opportunity to take out the random shit that didn't really belong, like an almost complete set of drum disc hardware that's inexplicably been living in the case for months.

Is this next level sad? Or is it a weird Zen thing? I'm happy with both.

15 minutes ago, reb said:

I just spent 2 hours drying off my socket set and cleaning it after it got completely filled with rainwater earlier.

20190521_194546.thumb.jpg.1b4421344e83d0e1196aef72716a44b6.jpg

I think this is the nicest it's looked since I got it nearly 3 years ago. Anyone who's ever seen the inside of my socket set or toolbox will attest to this. It was an excellent opportunity to take out the random shit that didn't really belong, like an almost complete set of drum disc hardware that's inexplicably been living in the case for months.

Is this next level sad? Or is it a weird Zen thing? I'm happy with both.

I'd give it a light coating of oil or WD40 while you have it out to stop any surface rust coming through. 

It'd probably do surprisingly well actually.  Those late 960s handle pretty decently for a big barge.  Bloody good turning circle too.
Having owned a 740, one with more power will be right up my street.

Just spent £10 on a litre of genuine Honda power steering fluid as the Prelude needed a tiny top up from min to max. No leaks, but I like things to be right. The rest will come in handy for the Accord after all. Just checked the Accord and couldn't find the power steering reservoir. Hmm.
Turns out it has electric power steering, never expected that. So 950 ml of Honda PSF left over then. Will come in handy one day....
Is this XFX? How is the steering? I replaced the fluid with fresh ATF in my ownership as it had a knock on centering that I couldn't trace. Changing fluid made it a bit better but it never went away.

On 5/18/2019 at 8:09 PM, BoggyMires said:

Welp... 

IMG_20190518_152436141.thumb.jpg.3759a66f2e7366de9cd4b01edae82d60.jpg

It's a no-go. Idler pulley chucked it's toys out and had a meltdown... Literally!

IMG_20190518_161708895.thumb.jpg.f316e75be19bdf9b8c99dfc41b9a4fb7.jpg

I couldn't drive it back. Belt does everything including the water pump. Steering was like wrestling with the Hulk, it was awful enough turning the car around let alone attempting a twenty mile drive home! All new pulleys, belt and tensioner on their way.

ITS ALIYVEEE!

Replaced all pulleys and belt. Now have spares. Tensioner bearing wasnt looking too clever either!

IMG_20190521_185321899.thumb.jpg.47114756443c3b75be24cde7b2411933.jpg

41 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Is this XFX? How is the steering? I replaced the fluid with fresh ATF in my ownership as it had a knock on centering that I couldn't trace. Changing fluid made it a bit better but it never went away.

When I had it MOT'd last year my mechanic thought the cause of it was slight wear to the steering rack