The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

9 hours ago, brownnova said:

I’m far too gung ho when it comes to stuff like that. I must invest in proper eye protection too.. Hope you’re alright now

Back in the hospital eye clinic Tuesday. Hopefully the paste I'm putting in my eye every 6 hours will loosen the last bits and they'll be able to scrape it out. 

Fortunately it's my bad eye that has dry amd (age-related macular degeneration ) in it.

Someone, I assume is the gamekeeper, has just started firing a double barrelled shotgun  about 100m away from where I am sitting. Nearly spilled my drink! Damned loud and smells strongly of something- is cordite still a thing?

8 shots so far- of course it could be the start of the revolution, or even Prince Phillip having a go at Megan’s relatives.

six more shots in quick succession. Just said hello to the neighbour, who says it’s supposed to be bad form to shoot on a Sunday- must give the animals a sporting day off what, what!

2 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Someone, I assume is the gamekeeper, has just started firing a double barrelled shotgun  about 100m away from where I am sitting. Nearly spilled my drink! Damned loud and smells strongly of something- is cordite still a thing?

8 shots so far- of course it could be the start of the revolution, or even Prince Phillip having a go at Megan’s relatives.

six more shots in quick succession. Just said hello to the neighbour, who says it’s supposed to be bad form to shoot on a Sunday- must give the animals a sporting day off what, what!

Goes with the territory.

Not got a great deal done in the way of fettling this weekend, primarily due to shite weather.  The BMW now has an air conditioning belt fitted, although it's not doing a lot of good at the moment as there's no gas in the system - at some point I will fork out for a regas m8.  I also fitted a new sidelight bulb, which I was fully expecting to be a royal PITA but was actually a 2-minute job.  It's meant to have some fancy pants halogen bulb with offset pins, but the previous owner had just shoved a 233 bulb in there so I went with that.

The Y10 now has a working rear wiper, which turned out to be more of a pain in the arse than I was expecting - I had to completely rewire both live and earth as neither was making a connection, and then I ended up having to wire it in to the HRW switch as when I used the wiring from the rear wiper switch the bloody thing wouldn't turn off - think there's a dodgy relay somewhere in the circuit.  Anyway, it works now, and the HRW never worked anyway so no great loss.  The car now also has one working front foglight - the driver's side light unit is rather more corroded and will need some further attention before everything makes a good enough connection to light an H3 - unfortunately rain stopped play before I had a chance to sort it this afternoon.

DSC_0180.thumb.JPG.9836e03bd9ac1eca67eb0a049775312f.JPG

14 hours ago, captain_70s said:

Some days ago I accidentally sent my iPod Classic through the washing machine. After being pulled apart and drying in rice for a few days...

Screen is fucked but that bastard is only bloody working, still on it's original HHD from 2007!

Hardwearing bit of kit, the iPod Classic - bought mine eleven years ago and it's still going well, despite multiple mishaps. 

The screen on MrsDC's iPod dropped out the same way as yours after a water bottle spill in a bag, but some fella in a cramped unit on an industrial estate put it right for £40. Apparently it's not a hard job, but it is a bit fiddly and it helps to know what you're doing. But when I think what I otherwise would have spent on blank cassettes over the years... it's not that outrageous, as far as running costs go.

I thought I'd fucked the screen on mine a few years back when some braying idiot sat on it at a party, but despite half the screen going black, over the course of a year it gradually repaired itself, pixel by pixel...

Although vinyl remains my format of choice, I do love the convenience of having so much music to hand. Both iPods are on their original HDDs and batteries, too, despite daily use. I'm no Apple fanboy but I am impressed with how well the pair of them have lasted. 

On 5/18/2019 at 8:12 PM, busmansholiday said:

Yep a piece has gone in your eye.

I was wearing glasses and such, I used to work in H&S I replied.

This also happened to me when I was grinding the lip off a Renault 4 brake drum, despite - like you - wearing safety glasses. Do not pass go, do not collect £200, go straight to hospital.

I wear the goggles type glasses for grindage nowadays, touch wood there have been no more trips to A&E since.

been in Brighton over the weekend. for the London to Brighton Mini  Run.

What is the chance of been parked up next to another 1997 Rover Mini Sport? As Volcano Orange was on the Mini for 1997 only, then the chances surely aren't that great?

wrong. wrong-ong-diddley-wong-wrong......

20190519_124411.thumb.jpg.686f7fdbb5a80c7c43c8acc0428468f6.jpg

the one on the left has covered 21k miles. while mine has done 88k. 

no wonder it looks better than mine!

one observation is that there wasn't anywhere near the numbers of stalls selling bits this year, we saw the same at the mini fair in January.

though there were too many folks around, too much queuing, too many dummies parking right up next to me (had moved Cocopop away from that shitbox on the right, and its still tight up close on me) and it been a bloody long way to go i dunno if we will bother next year. 

and it turns out that the Mini's test is up at the end of the month. that is an unwelcome surprise, so it goes for its test first thing on Saturday. wish us luck for that......

It’s so hard for me to treat what probably is an end of life vehicle as such.

Im browsing better sliding doors on e bay for the vito( the current door inner shells have rusted out completely on both sides and the panels flex when the runners slide past their detentes.)

Ive also been wire brushing and painting with zinga bits of surface grot on the underbody. STOP IT!!!

28 minutes ago, HMC said:

It’s so hard for me to treat what probably is an end of life vehicle as such.

Im browsing better sliding doors on e bay for the vito( the current door inner shells have rusted out completely on both sides and the panels flex when the runners slide past their detentes.)

Ive also been wire brushing and painting with zinga bits of surface grot on the underbody. STOP IT!!!

I know the feeling. Found myself investigating how big a patch is required (about 5" x 3" is the answer) on the Honda. I am still going to bridge it at the end of the month unless someone on here decides they want it, but the guilt is starting already!

2 hours ago, iainrcz said:

Health news : turns out if you don't sleep for 25 hours you don't feel tired.
Or at least I don't..
Although to be safe I ain't going to be driving anywhere.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

I have just done 6.00am-ish Sunday morning to 07.30 this morning.Got to bed at 07.30 till 13.45.I hate nightshift.

I have just done 6.00am-ish Sunday morning to 07.30 this morning.Got to bed at 07.30 till 13.45.I hate nightshift.
I work permanent weekend nights.
Finished at 6am today, but had to wait up as we had a new boiler fitted.
Probably sleep for England tonight!

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

There has been a Big Discussion about The Perfect House which has put plenty of things into perspective.  Without going into all the gory details, the long and short of it is that by December this year I shall be living in the South East.   There's plenty of good and bad things, on balance it's the good things being so much more important than the bad things that balance it all out.  I'm frankly terrified about it all, I have very, very few positive experiences of The South and the people that live there, and quite few negative experiences over the years.  The big positive is going to be not having to do a round trip of about 600 miles to see my other half, something that's been getting more and more difficult to do due to cost and us finding the time off work.  I just hope I can meet as many real world Southerners that are as supportive and nice as the ones I've met online.

7 hours ago, vulgalour said:

I'm frankly terrified about it all, I have very, very few positive experiences of The South and the people that live there, and quite few negative experiences over the years.  

We don't all drive massive brand new German SUVs while shouting abuse out of the window at everyone and having the odd machine gun shoot down ya' know! Nor do we all chase back out Northerners with pitchforks. Well, some but not all. 

Plus side is the days are longer, nicer weather, just as nice scenery and earning far more. Because of this, more people want to be down here - thus making it busier!

25 minutes ago, SiC said:

We don't all drive massive brand new German SUVs while shouting abuse out of the window at everyone and having the odd machine gun shoot down ya' know! Nor do we all chase back out Northerners with pitchforks. Well, some but not all. 

Plus side is the days are longer, nicer weather and earning far more. 

My biggest problem with Daarn Saarf is the traffic these days. I'm from West Sussex and its constant gridlock EVERYWHERE these days. Even the old rat runs I used to use are now used by everyone else.

Thats why I could never go back. Hate going down south these days for everything except the beer. 

Also the amount of insects is annoying. 

stillOrange has gone off to live in Sweden. But he left a little bit of Sweden behind. 
20190520-192331.jpg

It's mine now. Just needs a pre-booked MOT.

Ohhh nice - is this an addition to the fleet or replacement for something?

Bringing it autotesting in 5 weeks :-)

9 hours ago, vulgalour said:

There has been a Big Discussion about The Perfect House which has put plenty of things into perspective.  Without going into all the gory details, the long and short of it is that by December this year I shall be living in the South East.   There's plenty of good and bad things, on balance it's the good things being so much more important than the bad things that balance it all out.  I'm frankly terrified about it all, I have very, very few positive experiences of The South and the people that live there, and quite few negative experiences over the years.  The big positive is going to be not having to do a round trip of about 600 miles to see my other half, something that's been getting more and more difficult to do due to cost and us finding the time off work.  I just hope I can meet as many real world Southerners that are as supportive and nice as the ones I've met online.

I live darn sarf and I’m nice(ish)! Though I am technically from Yorkshire. And don’t forget, there’s a very big very green car down here you can come play with if you want since your coming down here! That alone should make up fo it!