The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 hours ago, SRi05 said:

So I sold the Prelude to buy the Jag, then I swapped the Jag for the Audi A8, then swapped the Audi for the BMW 318 coupe, Then swapped the BMW for the Saab. Now it looks like the Saab will be swapped for the Prelude, and my Shite circle is complete ? all these vehicles remain in the fold pleasingly 

You must get dizzy!

2 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

You must get dizzy!

It's probably one of the most overused and untrue quotes on here, but this will be me keeping this one for a while.  Basically tried everything  I've had a curiosity about in these past 12 months, Merc Audi BMW Jag & Saab so hopefully I've got it out of my system. That Honda is the one I always regretted selling  so know I'll be happy with it. 

MG have refitted their showroom on Piccadilly in London. Its a great location to drive business and burnish their brand - opposite Fortnum and Mason and The Ritz - a few doors down from the Royal Academy. So lots of potential customers for a niche brand - something a bit special. The Mini showroom is round the corner and was busy when I went past today for example. 

So what have they done - mmmmm....fitted their showroom out as a coffee bar leaving their cars - whatever they are called they look like everything else these days - at the back. They have left the last sports car they made in the window even though they don't sell them any more. Strange people. 

Coffee bar is called the roadster - no irony intended I suppose. You can only neglect a brand so long before it's dead. Maybe this all means something in Jina. Pity.

20190518_164236.jpg

20190518_164245.jpg

9 hours ago, BoggyMires said:

NEWS JUST IN... Discovery FTP in the middle of nowhere! Leaving work now (108 miles away!) to go and find out what... wotch this space M8! Sounds like something has thrown the belt, engine still runs.... it's a thinker, probably an idler pully... report later...

Welp... 

IMG_20190518_152436141.thumb.jpg.3759a66f2e7366de9cd4b01edae82d60.jpg

It's a no-go. Idler pulley chucked it's toys out and had a meltdown... Literally!

IMG_20190518_161708895.thumb.jpg.f316e75be19bdf9b8c99dfc41b9a4fb7.jpg

I couldn't drive it back. Belt does everything including the water pump. Steering was like wrestling with the Hulk, it was awful enough turning the car around let alone attempting a twenty mile drive home! All new pulleys, belt and tensioner on their way.

So I've spent most of today at hospitals. 

Started with Montagu walk in injured at Mexie. Whilst in the pub last night my eye started hurting. This am it wasn't better. Found out Specsavers do an eye clinic but tomorrow was first available time. Drove across the border to them. There's no A&E just walking wounded. Looked in eye (less than 30 mins from registering) with big magnifying glass and light. Needle scraped one bit off but not second bit of material.

Ended up at A &E at Barnsley. So doc gets me in front of a proper eye machine

What you been doing?, that looks like a piece of metal.

Grinding the stuck brake adjuster off my car yesterday.

Yep a piece has gone in your eye.

I was wearing glasses and such, I used to work in H&S I replied.

I'm not going to preach to you, I ended up in here in front of a colleague as I'm restoring an early series 3 V8 Landie and did the same.

Rest of time, whilst he tried needless to remove the last bit passed quickly as we discussed crap cars.

59 minutes ago, BoggyMires said:

Welp... 

IMG_20190518_152436141.thumb.jpg.3759a66f2e7366de9cd4b01edae82d60.jpg

It's a no-go. Idler pulley chucked it's toys out and had a meltdown... Literally!

IMG_20190518_161708895.thumb.jpg.f316e75be19bdf9b8c99dfc41b9a4fb7.jpg

I couldn't drive it back. Belt does everything including the water pump. Steering was like wrestling with the Hulk, it was awful enough turning the car around let alone attempting a twenty mile drive home! All new pulleys, belt and tensioner on their way.

That first image is a familiar one being a fellow Discovery of Doom owner! :-)

To be fair, mine has been behaving itself the last few days having covered 250+ miles without an FTP (much to the relief of the AA)

9 hours ago, snagglepuss said:

Ouch ..

I have started wearing face shield after another Shiter had bits picked out of his eyeballs

It was me. They clamped my head in a vice and picked out the bits of trampoline with syringe needle. It was actually worse than it sounds. I where those full eye goggle things now.

4 hours ago, paulplom said:

It was me. They clamped my head in a vice and picked out the bits of trampoline with syringe needle. It was actually worse than it sounds. I where those full eye goggle things now.

The guy who did my eye couldn't get one bit out, so he got a dremel and a dentists grinding ball and ground a piece off the white of my eye.

Obviously the gear was a bit more technical, but that's how he described it to me.

He said it would take a week to settle down, it took 3 weeks!

55 minutes ago, lanciamatt said:

Got keep hydrated while working away 

My wife says that as a child they werent allowed to play in the sun, until they'd had a glass of cider, so they didn't get thirsty.

It was the early 70s and she'd be about 7 or 8. 

50 minutes ago, MikeR said:

F in birds screaming there tits off in the trees and dumping all over the cars ...

got a recording of a hawk on youtube and played it back via my BT speaker in the garden  ......    

its amazing how many birds can suddenly be some where else 

We have a Sparrowhawk or similar who has decided our garden is part of his patch....all goes quiet every hour or so when he comes over.

At night numerous owls can be heard over the constant frog chorus (no,not the McCartney shit)....

In other news,summer is on the way

Screenshot_20190519-162343_WTForecast.jpg

I saw a big crash on the eastbound m4 near j12 this morning as I was heading in the other direction. Sadly a burgundy wobbly shaped megan convertible has driven it’s last journey. Quite heavily imbedded in the central reservation. All lanes closed.