The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, iainrcz said:

Yes and no. Yes for the reason you mention, and no because I'm tight and refuse to shell out thousands for the privilege.

The “torque kink/underpowered thing” is a bit oversold. Especially in the original tests and North American forum mouth breathers.

52 minutes ago, Maurice Marina said:

The “torque kink/underpowered thing” is a bit oversold. Especially in the original tests and North American forum mouth breathers.

It is really. To be honest I hardly notice it. You're meant to rev it's balls off anyway so you're soon through it.

Why buy a revvy, manual car if you tootle around in top then witter about lack of torque?

4 hours ago, iainrcz said:

It is really. To be honest I hardly notice it. You're meant to rev it's balls off anyway so you're soon through it.

Why buy a revvy, manual car if you tootle around in top then witter about lack of torque?

True.

Removing the sound generator, replacing the intake pipe with a smooth one and a K&N makes it even more unnoticiblerer.

Best mod for me was a set of hood struts.

23 minutes ago, Maurice Marina said:

True.

Removing the sound generator, replacing the intake pipe with a smooth one and a K&N makes it even more unnoticiblerer.

I don't own one but have driven one. The fact I know it's there and can feel it means I would have to get it fixed if I had one. As big as Subaru and Toyota are, I can't understand why it got through and released like that. 

2 hours ago, busmansholiday said:

How do you find time for work with all these cheap cars going past your view?

I don’t stop for lunch, and start at 7. 

What was quite funny was watching them drag it out of the truck. I’m not sure that’s what the large carbon fibre wing was for. 

Yesterday when I was feeling bloody minded i parked the courtesy car Zx estate outside. I was busy so no pics, but at one point there was a Daimler majestic major in front, an Italian registered mkII jag behind and a Ferrari F40 alongside. Then when I came back from getting the 2cv from the garage I was parked next to an original fiat multipla with suicide doors.

I expect they’ve all come from an Italian auction ( rm or Sotheby’s etc).

28 minutes ago, SiC said:

I don't own one but have driven one. The fact I know it's there and can feel it means I would have to get it fixed if I had one. As big as Subaru and Toyota are, I can't understand why it got through and released like that. 

I think the consensus is it fits what the car is meant to be. It's meant to be slightly under powered and slidey. Which it is. I think too much more power would ruin it.  I've come from more powerful cars, and being honest, I think it's the most entertaining car I've ever driven.

It goads you in to wringing it's neck, and you don't need to be doing warp speed 9 to enjoy it. It shimmies about, slides and yaws at more modest speed, and to me that's more exciting than 200mph super cars.

As Mr. C Harris once said "We need to get back to a stage were we're enjoying performance because of it's nature, not because of it's quantity"

53 minutes ago, Maurice Marina said:

True.

I have my sound generator plugged, with the 12v socket cap Toyota Subaru kindly supplied.

3 hours ago, iainrcz said:

I think the consensus is it fits what the car is meant to be. It's meant to be slightly under powered and slidey. Which it is. I think too much more power would ruin it.  I've come from more powerful cars, and being honest, I think it's the most entertaining car I've ever driven.

It goads you in to wringing it's neck, and you don't need to be doing warp speed 9 to enjoy it. It shimmies about, slides and yaws at more modest speed, and to me that's more exciting than 200mph super cars.

As Mr. C Harris once said "We need to get back to a stage were we're enjoying performance because of it's nature, not because of it's quantity"

I have my sound generator plugged, with the 12v socket cap Toyota Subaru kindly supplied.

:). It is supposed to have a few uses :). I’ve got loads of flat plugs if you want one for free so the original can go back in the glove box if you want.

Getting rid of all the corrugated trunking, and the entry to the sound generator pipe at the critical bend on the intake really does make a noticeable difference. Maybe not to power, but to the throttle response. Pop in a K&N replacement panel filter and you are good to go.  

In the real world. Not following the flock on ancient reviews or test drives*

They are great cars.

Living in Lincolnshire means you do have resources closer to you for further tuning :) :)

When out and about this morning trying to get a second opinion on my C15's horrible noise I saw an old Berlingo in the waifs and strays section at a local garage. They are putting a new MOT on it and I should be picking it up tomorrow* Therefore if anyone is interested in my van it's available  (see advert if the shite for sale bit. Don't all rush at once.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:04 PM, richardmorris said:

Whereabouts are you? I have a couple of garages I could suggest in Chester and isleworth.

As a matter of interest, who do you recommend in Chester? Cheers.

I have been advertising my 944 with err, limited success then yesterday someone wanted to swap a Renault Megane R26 F1.  As it's about 18 years younger it will be in better condition but I reckon I'm about 30 years too old for it....... ?

3 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Keith Davis in Aldford. Old style citroen garage for decades.

Parsonage Garage, Middle Lane, Aldford, Chester CH3 6JA

Phone: 01244 620399

Ahh, yes forgot about Keith. Does he still have one or two 4x4 BXs out the back?

1 hour ago, Cavcraft said:

Ahh, yes forgot about Keith. Does he still have one or two 4x4 BXs out the back?

Quite probably. It’s been a few years since I’ve been ( although my dad went past yesterday as they were eating at the grosvenor). I needed a 2cv bonnet and he happily searched through his stock but could only find Dyane ones. No one wants a  bx 4x4 though. Well I suppose people do, but none of them are working due to the Camembert strength gearboxes.

7 hours ago, spike60 said:

I have been advertising my 944 with err, limited success then yesterday someone wanted to swap a Renault Megane R26 F1.  As it's about 18 years younger it will be in better condition but I reckon I'm about 30 years too old for it....... ?

god are you mad...........

Mazda had an exhaust rattle. Thought it was from around the (original) Cat area. As I want to take it to the Microcar meet on Sunday, took it to my local exhaust/tyre place as no space outside my house today to jack it up.

It was just part of the cat section rattling (metal on metal) and a standard U-clamp solved the problem. 5mins and £10 (fair enough) and problem solved.

The sentence that strikes fear into any Shiter when presenting their car for its yearly grilling:

"We've had to abandon the test"

"(gulp)"

"Not your car, mate, that looks peachy - our emissions machine has broken, engineer is on his way. We can only test diesels."

420 lives to fight a few more days at least, then...