The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I thought you were retiring...?

Retiring from 'main stream' just going to do two or three days a week at some point. Got offered a job the other day driving a 7.5 tonner almost when it suited. Try and guess why I turned it down.

My local HGV driving school have started using 6.5-tonne Iveco Dailies for the C1 course.  Which I think is a bit of a cheat really - they're smaller than my Maxus, and apart from a 56mph limiter are probably very similar to drive.  I don't think that's very good preparation for driving a "proper" 7.5-tonner with air brakes etc.  But then my first experience of air brakes was driving a 30' long Leyland Roadrunner I'd just bought through the centre of Rotherham on a Saturday afternoon.  The brakes on that thing were like an on/off switch and it had no seatbelts.  Was an interesting first few miles.

That dedra was my first lancia I had, I bought it from 4ways auto salvage in Chesterfield. Was a cracking car that at 20 years old I thought I was the bollocks lol. It was only 10 years old at the time. Sadly it ended up as a spares car when the box shit its self and has been there since about 2003

My local HGV driving school have started using 6.5-tonne Iveco Dailies for the C1 course.  Which I think is a bit of a cheat really - they're smaller than my Maxus, and apart from a 56mph limiter are probably very similar to drive.  I don't think that's very good preparation for driving a "proper" 7.5-tonner with air brakes etc.  But then my first experience of air brakes was driving a 30' long Leyland Roadrunner I'd just bought through the centre of Rotherham on a Saturday afternoon.  The brakes on that thing were like an on/off switch and it had no seatbelts.  Was an interesting first few miles.

daf 7.5 ton i drove last job had shit brakes, then on 2nd day it would release the brakes and head of the brake valve?? was faulty.. few brown trouser momoment