The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Dude - not sure if it'd make a difference - or if you did think ahead (I didn't and it cost me a lot of head scratching) - BUT

Did you cover the hole with anything before moulding the repair putty? It won't have filled the damn pipe will it? I did this on a 'temp' repair on a Dolly sprint water pipe and couldn't for the life of me figure out what was wrong after it was all put back together…….. eventually clicked I was a total knob!  

Hahahaha - no, to be fair, that's a good point.

The way the stuff works is that it is mega pliable, but also very thick and lumpy, so there's no way it could actually get into a hole that small and block the pipe completely. 

Naturally, your comment gave me da fear, but I checked with tap water and it shot out of each end nicely, so no, no blockages. Thank fuck.

It's also harder than this:

il_794xN.668266788_ohku.jpg

Spent some time yesterday afternoon driving a dog-rough 2002 Mercedes-Benz Axor rigid truck with a very recalcitrant manual gearbox around the fringes of east London:

post-4796-0-17778100-1554990626_thumb.jpg

The upshot was that I landed my first truck driving job, which I start early next month. It's taken me a heck of a lot of time and effort to get to this position, but it was worth it in the end :)

Pawnote: truck spotters may notice that the photo is of the interior of a later (2007) truck. I was meant to do my driving assessment in it, but nobody could find the keys. Apparently, the truck I ended up driving is the worst one in the fleet; I was told by the assessor that having mastered driving it, I should be able to drive any of the other trucks without a problem. Pretty good going, considering that I passed my test in an automatic truck and hadn't driven a manual one for 13 years  :mrgreen:

Spent some time yesterday afternoon driving a dog-rough 2002 Mercedes-Benz Axor rigid truck with a very recalcitrant manual gearbox around the fringes of east London:

owo.jpg

The upshot was that I landed my first truck driving job, which I start early next month. It's taken me a heck of a lot of time and effort to get to this position, but it was worth it in the end :)

Pawnote: truck spotters may notice that the photo is of the interior of a later (2007) truck. I was meant to do my driving assessment in it, but nobody could find the keys. Apparently, the truck I ended up driving is the worst one in the fleet; I was told by the assessor that having mastered driving it, I should be able to drive any of the other trucks without a problem. Pretty good going, considering that I passed my test in an automatic truck and hadn't driven a manual one for 13 years :mrgreen:

Are HGV licenses not restricted like car ones then? If you pass your car test in an automatic you’re not allowed to drive a manual are you?

Are HGV licenses not restricted like car ones then? If you pass your car test in an automatic you’re not allowed to drive a manual are you?

I think not, which could be really fun if you learn in a modern auto and end up being given an old one with a manual splitter box.

I am old enough to have the 7.5 ton on my car licence, I have driven quite a few over the years, but when hiring them have never been asked if I've driven one before.

The licence allows you to drive both manual and automatic trucks. The former are in the minority nowadays, but my new employer's fleet is almost totally comprised of them, and I'm pretty sure that the statement 'must be able to drive a manual lorry' in the job application scared quite a few folk off.

Used to have a fantastic time at Southport teaching the kids how to drive on the sands.

The pleasure beach was cheap too.

We used to teach ourselves power slides at Ainsdale beach.

In the school holidays a group.if us would get the train to Southport go swimming and then cross the road and have a few goes on the wooden roller coaster. And then go to the funhouse where m9stly.we would play a game of off ground tag

40 years later the pool has slides which is good. and the fair is less than shit.

I remember revising for my last o level in the Lido. I got an U in RE

The site o f the Lido is a sports direct.

This could be the end of roffles as we know it....

If this messes with your bank account and causes an uncomfortable financial situation in the short them then let us know JB, I'll glady chuck a couple of quid in the relevant pot.

Bloke has not said, 'whoops, my error'

And paid you again then?

No the funds are "reserved" by PayPal till they close the case. The shitter was oblivious and has contacted PP to tell them so. It seems it may have been instigated by the payers CC company.

God knows though. Like exiledtatgatherer said, it's a fucking tangled web.

This could be the end of roffles as we know it....

If this messes with your bank account and causes an uncomfortable financial situation in the short them then let us know JB, I'll glady chuck a couple of quid in the relevant pot.

Cheers man. Doubt it'll come to that but ta for being kind.

Ill not be running any more roffles I don't think, but I've said that before!