The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Spent ages trying to track a tailgate rattle on the C32, adjusted the lock, replaced all the trim clips (just in case), stripped and rebuilt the load cover/ dog guard.

Wouldn't mind, it was a tiny rattle, but it was there. Wouldn't hear it for a week, then you know those rumble strips on motorway slip roads sometimes? Sounded like Mitch Mitchell was sitting on the spare wheel.

ust found the fucking rattle. There are two little wedges either side of the tailgate which for some inexplicable reason were fitted back to front, so I swapped them over and adjusted them so the tailgate no longer rattles.

This is good, as the previous owner spent approx £1500 replacing the rear suspension trying to track the same rattle.

So. A happy chappie I am.

Now the creak from the n/s/f lower wishbone to attend to.

Reb, you look almost exactly like an old mate of mine called Danny Moore!

Think i need help...lol

I like the middle alloy, usually seen on Scorpios and high-spec Mk2 Mondeos? I used to have a set I might have got from here. Passed them to a mate who was up-speccing his Mk2 Mondeo.

I also have more Rover 800 alloys than I know what to do with!

Reb, you look almost exactly like an old mate of mine called Danny Moore!

I like the middle alloy, usually seen on Scorpios and high-spec Mk2 Mondeos? I used to have a set I might have got from here. Passed them to a mate who was up-speccing his Mk2 Mondeo.

I also have more Rover 800 alloys than I know what to do with!

I went to school with a lad called Dan Moore, now lives in Kiddy..

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Seems I need to re-prioritise my fuel tank sender sealing ring as I filled the car up this morning and a few quid of BP's finest unleaded rained out of the underneath of the car...

Half a bucket of sand later I paid and fucked off and pulled over and yep, top of the tank is soaking wet.

Thank goodness for sunroofs as I remembered halfway to work feeling quite high smoking a fag with the window open...

It has, however, developed a leak from the PAS pump, which is an embuggerance.  It's not pissing it out, it's an occasional drip, but it's evidently been leaking for some time as the whole pump is covered in fluid (as is the crossmember underneath it), so I wasn't able to ascertain exactly where the drip is coming from. but I think it's the pump itself rather than a pipe, unfortunately.  I might try one of those Lucas stop leak snake oil treatments to see if that works - the pump looks like it'd be a bit of a twat to get out, can't come out through the top without removing the alternator and probably the tensioner as well, and to get it out underneath the crossmember would have to come off.

is it like on a lot of Rovers where the PAS pump drives the waterpump? If so, don't fuck around - my PAS pump failed, stopped spinning the water pump and HGF rapidly (and expensively) failed.

I keep meaning to update my thread. One day...

Seems I need to re-prioritise my fuel tank sender sealing ring as I filled the car up this morning and a few quid of BP's finest unleaded rained out of the underneath of the car...

Half a bucket of sand later I paid and fucked off and pulled over and yep, top of the tank is soaking wet.

Thank goodness for sunroofs as I remembered halfway to work feeling quite high smoking a fag with the window open...

giphy.gif

I guess the sad truth is that this one will never be a show winner, and there are 20 odd Favorits left in exceptional condition, so probably just another 90s car who's time is up. Survival of the fittest! :-(

The BM needed a sidelight bulb. My local factor could not get one so I popped my ECP cherry.

On the phone "£22 mate on the shelf" however due to rampant inflation it had risen to £33 when I got there.

After pointing out that I was quoted £22 over the phone I was asked if I had a trade card - negatori was the answer, I got the part for the quoted price.

I am sure they must spin an empty beer bottle to decide what to charge you.

The Mercedes C class is now done and on the road. Got rid of the ABS light by cleaning the serrations on the  front hubs so that is a bonus. Unfortunately I know have a srs light after removing the airbag and steering wheel to fit a new indicator stalk.I will need to double check i plugged everything back in correctly. I ordered some mega expensive NGK spark plugs specially for LPG engines, £54 for 4! The engine is running far better now though on them when on lpg other than a lumpy tick over. It's a very nice place to be. Now to deep clean the interior and attend to the scratches on the panels. Total costs including purchase came to £550. that includes new brakes all round, front shocks, flexi hoses, lpg pipes, expensive plugs, oil and filter, new indicator stalk and two new tyres. Pretty bloody happy with that. will run it for a few days then weigh the C4 in as no one wants it.

Audi drivers footwell still soaking after more rain today. Clearing the debris would certainly have helped things. I pulled up thw driver side plastic sill trim and everything is dry. I blotted the carpet with white paper towel and no pinkness so it's not coolant. So small progress in the art of elimination.

Next I'll seal up the bonnet cable grommet pull everyrhing I can out of the scuttle and seal/clear wherever I can. I wouldn't mind just leaving it in my garage for a few weeks with the top down just to dry everything out.

attachicon.gif20190402_142957.jpg

Bulb. Expensive.

is that some modern LED POS or?

because it looks like its just a Lightbulb in some custom reflector,

I have a gut feeling you can pop the bulb out and it will be some ordinary thing you can replace yourself

(aka post some more pictures or take it apart and post some more pictures please :) )